Need some input on this 650 lumens beast

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Ok so here's something different, a 4 led reflector with 4 leds.

First time poster here but I've been drooling over the many flashlights and leds available over the past few weeks trying to decide which to get.

I want something that will light up the night basically. I will be purchasing at least a couple of lights so a 2 stage light would be nice but it's not a necessity.

Any thoughts on this one? ... can this setup efficiently reflect the leds or is there loss due to the design?

ebaylink

Eagerly awaiting some thoughts on this flashlight.

bolts

Bigsy

Enlightened
The Romisens are good lights, there is a massive thread here on the T5 is you search. General opinion is that its good, its not 650 lumens but still very bright. One con is that you can get flickering on low using 2x18650 batts (4xrcr is fine).

Also you'll find all the bits in the kit on http://www.dealextreme.com/ and it will probably work out cheap with free postage.

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Thanks bigsy ... the more I search the harder it is to choose...ugh

that's a good thing though!:twothumbs

I don't even know what a reverse clicky is yet so I guess I've got some reading ahead of me....

bolts

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, love the ebay link:

"with this light you can see over 50 metres!"

Possibly the only conservative measurement there ;)

More helpfully, when you say "light up the night", what do you mean? The light you linked to, because of the older emitters used and also because of the reflector design, will not have the greatest throw. However, it will have more overall brightness than most other lights available.

Bigsy

Enlightened
One thing I will say that if you can hold off buying it may be worth while doing so.

SSC P7 lights are starting to filter through (couple on Dealextreme already) which will output as much light as the romisen above but in a much smaller (single led) form factor.

Also, a reverse clicky means that you have to press the switch all the way in and the light will turn on as it comes back out. A forward clicky turns the light on when you give it a half press (ie you don;t need to click it on) this gives you a momentary function.

Personally I prefer reverse for multi mode lights, forward for single. You'll find most people round here prefer forwards.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Romisen is a very good name in cheap lights, mostly for the build quality and price. There is a cheaper version on DX, linked above, as well as a 4xQ5 (a few steps up from the P4s on ebay) version.

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Well I feel I'm quickly going to be up to date thanks a bunch for the helpful input... and also for putting up with my newbiness, really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I've also been looking at some of the Lummi lights, namely the raw and the wee... very nice especially with the optional radio active glowing locators ....but they are not exactly affordable... is there anything comparable to those but more afforadable? I don't like the twist switch on them either I'd much prefer a clicky.
Also it makes sense to have a reverse clicky for multi mode, unless maybe the switch is recessed? I would assume this would pretty much prevent accidental switching of modes.

And yeah..... 50 meters ....ooooooooooohhhh!!!!! lol

I remember being 10 years old and buying a radio shack 5 D cell flashlight for 50 cents and that thing used to light up all the way down the lane in back of our house...probably 300 meters or so...

So we're playing the waiting game huh?... I'm all for that .... the more I wait the more I can spend! :cool:
I've already waited a few weeks and I bought a little .5 watter locally that puts out 26 lumens to tide me over ....until I make a real purchase.

bolts

Last edited: