Surefire CombatGrip design for utility?

shrap

Enlightened
Those of you blessed with Surefire M2s and C2s, do you use these lights in the CombatGrip sticking-out-between-your-fingers style, or in the conventional thumb-on-switch style? I can imagine the CombatGrip lends itself to instinctual pointing with the light when used with a handgun, but how useful is it in a utility perspective?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably about the same, i use both techniques.

dockersguy

Newly Enlightened
I use the combat grip. I like holding the light like this because I can just bring my hand up in a natural motion like if I were to shake someone's hand and press the button with the palm of my hand. Instead of holding the light in the "thumb on switch" style and having to raise the light to a much higher height. Combat grip, torso height and "thumb on switch" style shoulder height to illuminate an object. For me, holding the light in the combat grip makes it easier to light things up that are lower to the ground, I don't have to angle the light downwards. To add to your "instinctual pointing" it's true that for the first two seconds where ever your head is turned that your hands are also pointed in the same direction. This doesn't work if you just decided to turn your head. It's more of like if you heard a loud noise and turned your head to see what it was, an involuntary thing.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
probably about the same, i use both techniques.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, its either the combat grip or the neck index way.

Geoff

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hi Shrap-

As far as utility is concerned, I think it's comfortable enough to use that way (between the fingers) only if you're used to doing so. I think it's a more natural motion to use the thumb-on-tailcap method when using the flashlight for regular activities.

Aside from that, the CombatLight grip was an idea bred from former FBI Special Agent Bill Rogers. The design intent was for the application of the flashlight-handgun technique which ultimately evolved into the Rogers/SureFire technique (with the CombatLight grip design) - other than what already existed, such as the Harries, Chapman, FBI Techniques and other qualified means of tactically applied light sources.

Anyway - besides the M2 and C2 as you mentioned, there's also the M3, M3T, Z2, Z3, and G2Z with the patented CombatLight grip.

And welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

kev1-1

Enlightened
I find that I am much less likely to drop a combat grip style light than a regular 'tubular' one.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the combatgrip is VERY useful, even if you're not using it with a handgun. i have a C2, and i find the combatgrip to be more instinctive, and it doesn't require you to contort your wrist like you would have to if you held the light in the overhand or underhand position. even when using the C2 in the normal overhand-thumb-on-switch position, the grip ring does a very good job of preventing the light from slipping out of your hand. its an absolute must-have in my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For use in a combat grip in one hand in conjunction with holding a handgun in the other IS the utility for which this style of flashlight was designed.

The body contours and the rubber grommets help minimally to retain the light in a conventional, thumb-over-switch grip. A lanyard is in order with this size of flashlight. The rubber grommets that can drag on the mercerized cotton material from which clothing pockets are frequently made can slow retrieval much in the same manner as the rubber sleeve on the Streamlight Scorpion; except not as severe.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that once I got the G2Z I went with the combat grip, it seems very intuitive and natural. Took about 3 minutes to get used to it.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I like using the syringe grip on it too. The tension between the fingers holds the light more securely, in either grip.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you are interested in exploring how to use a flashlight with a weapon such as a handgun, I suggest you get hold of the SureFire Combat Tactical magazine (Guns&Ammo Special) as it has a review of many of the different ways.

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use both holds also. Sometimes it's difficult to operate reversed in the palm, like when your head is on the tile floor trying to look under a dishwasher your installing to make sure the hoses and elecrical aren't the reason you can't seem to push it all the way under the counter, easier to get it close to the floor in the Rogers grip. Just one example, hope it helps.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i can't speak for the sf, but i made one for my brinkmann 3aa and love it.

i don't know if the same applies for the sf, but it aids in nearly all ways of holding the light.

combat grip is a great thing.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i can't speak for the sf, but i made one for my brinkmann 3aa and love it.

i don't know if the same applies for the sf, but it aids in nearly all ways of holding the light.

combat grip is a great thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rothrandir,

That sounds interesting. Can you describe it please?

Thanks,
Btrightnorm

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Actually, if you wouldn't mind, a posted pic would be great. It sounds like a very good solution; so simple yet so practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
My g2z is a great light- I love the combat grip as it stays in your hand like its glued there. Of course I use it for its intended purpose some too. I love surprise storming a "bunker" with my INFINITY 3.9 blasting away in one hand and the surefire strobing in the other. Add a battle yell and the results are astounding!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Pat, excellent reference post. Thanks -

And good job, Rothrandir... now that's what I call improvising! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim