Black L1D-CE Q5 OP ordered: upgrades?

R-R

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, new flashlight addict here! :)

I just ordered my 2nd (if you count that old Gerber Infinity) real flashlight and while i wait i was wondering if getting an L2D body was worth it or should i just wait for an L2D-CE R2 to come out and order the full thing instead of parts for upgrades? (If they ever do head upgrades that is...)

Did i make a good choice? Any suggested accessories?
Anyone got any idea if/when an R2 model will be released?
Or if anyone has some L2D body to ship to Canada for cheap... ;) (only found one seller on eBay...)
(or any other suggestions ... )

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened
I probably wouldnt be a bad idea to get a L2D body if you want longer runtime and higher output as the R2 wont be all that much brighter than a Q5. have you tried ordering from fenix-store? They sell bodies and accessories as well

Last edited:

R-R

Newly Enlightened
If you want to get a second body, get it from Lighthound. $12 and $13 for l1d and l2d bodies, with no tailcap. Everyone else sells with a tailcap for >$20

(use code "cpf" for a 2% discount)

Ah stupid me, i ordered my L1D from there and didn't see the body, that's what you get for ordering too late in the night and wanting to go to sleep after too much research on forums, etc... :/

Oh well, thanks for the tip! :)

btw, does the L1D comes with a low battery warning?
(flash every 30 sec that i've seen described somewhere?)

Last edited:

st_tammy

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered the black L1D-CE Q5 too.

I recently bought an Inova X1 3rd Gen but I feel a little let down with run time and inability to adjust brightness.

Since I'm new to this scene could someone please tell me how people are 'upgrading' their L1D.

P.S. Is this one of the most powerful torches in it's class?

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would not worry about them releasing a R2, as even side by side it would be very difficult to see any appreciable difference between a Q5 and R2 bin.

R-R

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the L2D body, can't wait to use this while "camping" :p

How have these Q*, R*, etc... LEDs evolved?
Is there a pattern in the numbers i should be aware of? (with some technical meaning that is)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most white LEDs are sorted out by color and performance. The names(bin codes) for each LED manufacturer is different. There's a good thread here.

For the Cree XR-E LED, the performance bin code(I won't put the whole on here) goes P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2, R3, R4.

All made on the same line and sorted later.

:welcome:

and I hope you like the light!

R-R

Newly Enlightened
So I'm guessing this works a bit like lasers who are all built on the same line and then sorted depending on how good they are...

Anywhere from 5 to 200mW for pointers from what I've seen on LPF...

( Still waiting for the postman though :D )

EDIT: I find it funny though that fenix-store doesn't have a L1D-CE Q5 OP (textured) in black (only olive?)... i hope i do get this though.

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
What about a P2D one CR123 holder/tailcap? You'll get 180L on Turbo, albeit not for very long (<2 hr). That '4 in 1' kit I bought, which are now gone from the Fenix Store, spoiled me... some days I feel like a 1xAA, some days a 1xCR123.

Stainz

Stainz

Enlightened
It's amazing what one little CR123 can produce in that P2D holder with that head you have. I changed my feelings towards those Li cells with my 6P LED. The P2D just solidified the change - and caused me to spend my next $70 not on a T1/TK10, as planned, but on 3 boxes of 12 SF CR123s, which I still haven't opened. More dependable than Alkie AAs - and cheaper than Li AAs, too. I'm a convert! Not trying to add you to my 'side', just offering a rationale.

Stainz

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF,

The L2d body makes a huge difference in Brightness on turbo mode,
the runtime is also increased

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened
For those of you with the L1D and L2D bodies, which would you say you use more often for everyday use and carry?

HKJ

Flashaholic
For those of you with the L1D and L2D bodies, which would you say you use more often for everyday use and carry?

None of them, I use the L2D for my bicycle. The L1D (as part of the power pack), is usual a P2D, that is used around the apartment.

For EDC it is L0D (in a pocket) and P3D (in a bag).

I am considering exchanging the L0D for the LiteFlux LF2X.