Any Streamlight Strion, NF-2/TL-2/TL-3 incandescent upgrades?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight Strion XENON upgrade?

IIRC (my Strion is boxed up somewhere back in the closet, lol) the bulb was a 2pin.

With the drop in from LF, its like a P60 type replacement, which won't fit in the bi-pin of the Strion.

I had forgotten the Scorpion/TL 2 etc were modules. I use TL3 replacement bulbs in 2C Maglites with 18650's.

nitebrite

Enlightened

I ordered one. That is going to be a good light now. I have not used it in years. Thank you thermal guy!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Your welcome. I have grown to love the TL3. With that led in it it's one hell of a light. But it's no slouch with the stock incandescent bulb either.

prof student

Enlightened

I have grown to love the TL3. With that led in it it's one hell of a light. But it's no slouch with the stock incandescent bulb either.

Do you really get the stated 800 lumens?
How's the run time?
Is it regulated?
Does it overheat?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I'd say it's an honest 800 judging from my other lights. It gets warm but have only run it for 10-15 minutes at a time. She's regulated down to 3.7 volts. I have them in my scorpions and one in my TL3. Same led. In the scorpion it really is a great little power house.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

She's regulated down to 3.7 volts.

LEDs must be current regulated and incand must be voltage regulated.
When LED is regulated to 3.7 volt, this is necessary to save it from (7.5 volt) overvoltage and frying but not necessarily means current regulated.

prof student

Enlightened

LEDs must be current regulated and incand must be voltage regulated.
When LED is regulated to 3.7 volt, this is necessary to save it from (7.5 volt) overvoltage and frying but not necessarily means current regulated.

Would it be possible to bore out the TL-2 to fit 18650s?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Not sure if the walls are thick enough.A 16650 works just fine. And plenty of capacity.

nitebrite

Enlightened

I think the circuitry of the upgrade would deal with the 9v into the LED. Either way, it obviously works as intended.

prof student

Enlightened

I'd say it's an honest 800 judging from my other lights. It gets warm but have only run it for 10-15 minutes at a time. She's regulated down to 3.7 volts. I have them in my scorpions and one in my TL3. Same led. In the scorpion it really is a great little power house.

What kind of beam do you get in your TL3? (flood....throw.....) How's the tint?

prof student

Enlightened

Lumens factory does make a led drop in for the TL3. 800 lumens. I have a TL3 with it in. Very bright

What's your battery setup?

nitebrite

Enlightened

I got it already. Pretty impressive actually.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Sorry man. Real late on this but if not to late. It's got a good combination of throw and spill. It will reach out there but it's not a big thrower. The tint? Well that's not so good. A lot a tint shift and mine is a little green. Definitely not the best I have seen. I'm running 3 primaries.

prof student

Enlightened

Sorry man. Real late on this but if not to late. It's got a good combination of throw and spill. It will reach out there but it's not a big thrower. The tint? Well that's not so good. A lot a tint shift and mine is a little green. Definitely not the best I have seen. I'm running 3 primaries.

What do you mean a lot of "tint shift"?

How much green is there? Does it make you go yuck, or is it on the very light side or more bearable?

What's the longest you have run it at one time? Any issues?

Thanks!

prof student

Enlightened

Your welcome. I have grown to love the TL3. With that led in it it's one hell of a light. But it's no slouch with the stock incandescent bulb either.

Do you really get the stated 800 lumens?
How's the run time?
How hot does the flashlight get?
What kind of throw do you get?
How's the tint?

prof student

Enlightened

How much green is there? Does it make you go yuck, or is it on the noticeable, but light side?

What kind of useful throw do you get? i.e. how far does the beam go to help you identify an object, not just shedding some light out there.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

How much green is there? Does it make you go yuck, or is it on the noticeable, but light side?

What kind of useful throw do you get? i.e. how far does the beam go to help you identify an object, not just shedding some light out there.

Mine has A LOT of green. Not sure if i just got a bad one but to be honest. It's really ugly. It's as bright as my Malkoff M91's and throws just about as good. 50-75 yards you can clearly see a target. Probably 20 minutes or so is the longest I have run it for. It's bright. But as I say mine anyways is not real good in the tint department. The beam profile is awesome. No rings or anything like that. Just a real nasty color