OSRAM OSTAR emitter

DocD

Enlightened
this is old news but how do these OSRAM OSTAR emitter 4 or 6 stack up to the P7 did they get to hot or pull to much power? has anyone mod a torch with one? many DocD

beetleguise

Enlightened
I have an ostar, but not a p7. The Ostar puts out a ton of light, but I am still working on a reflector. As soon as I build a p7, I will let you know how mine stack up!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ostar definetly puts out more lumens but does not throw as far.

Mac

beetleguise

Enlightened
Not less efficient, it only draws 1.2 amps max compared to the P7 at around 3.2 max!

spencer

Enlightened
It only draws 1.2 amps but at a much higher Vf than the P7.

It is about 22 volts at 1.2 amps which is 26 watts.
The P7 is 3.7 volts at 2.8 amps which is like 11 watts.

I'm pulling numbers kind of out of thin air so they may be a little off.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
CIMG2495.jpg

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not less efficient, it only draws 1.2 amps max compared to the P7 at around 3.2 max!
I already answered in the other Ostar tread, so please let me just type: "do Your homework be4 typing when not informed".

the 4-die runs on the same current than each of the P7s die but on higher voltage.
data is:
OSTAR (4 die): say 800 mA * 3.7 V * 4 = 11.8 W
P7: 800 * 4 * 3.7 = 11.8 W
very identical power consumption to me ;)

the real differencens are:
the P7 is double as bright (when it comes to the datasheet values),
for the series wired Ostar there are quite a number of drivers available,
in reality both feature just a smaller physical size and no advante else to multiemitters.
Given higher thermal efforts and higher temp, both are bummers in the end.

Last edited:

beetleguise

Enlightened
the 4-die runs on the same current than each of the P7s die but on higher voltage.
data is:
OSTAR (4 die): say 800 mA * 3.7 V * 4 = 11.8 W
P7: 800 * 4 * 3.7 = 11.8 W
very identical power consumption to me ;)
I am using the 6 die, putting out between 620 and 1120 lumens at 750 ma. I am unable to ascertain if it is the qz bin or what, but it is comparable to 5 cree q5's (guessing around 1000 lumens at 1.2 amps). I don't have real heat issues with the ostar. The 5 q5's will get too hot to handle after about 5 minutes continuous at 1 amp. In the Ostar, I heatsunk a maxflex2 close to the emitter sink (in a 1 D, it has to be close) and the thermal protection will shut the emitter down to low only in the lowest thermal temp setting at 5 minutes continuous. I set it to the second level and it never shuts down, and the head is not too hot to touch.
One thing I have noticed is everyone is so impressed with the P7 low voltage. My car starter has low voltage too- lower voltage than my ostar. My ostar is run on 4 14500's. I don't think I could start my car on 4 14500's. I think they would blow up. I guess 1000 lumens out of a 1 D mag with just over an amp blows me away.:duh2:
I can't wait for the supershark to arrive so I can jam multi-multi-die emitters in a light like LedZep's Trinity, the brightest LED to date!
Love that Ostar!
Sorry if I upset any P7 fans.