DBS vs. 6P w/Dereelight DBS drop-in?

TDKKP

Enlightened
What's the advantage of the DBS V2? Both will produce the same brightness so it's cheaper using 6P, even clones, with drop-ins. Is it worth it to get DBS?

Last edited:

Abumustafa

Enlightened
Re: DBS V2 or 6P with drop-in?

What's the advantage of the DBS V2? Both will produce the same brightness so it's cheaper using 6P, even clones, with drop-ins. Is it worth it to get DBS?

The difference is that the DBS is designed to be a Monster :devil: Thorwer and 6P with a drop-in is just a normal flashlight just my too Cents :wave: am sure others will clarify the issue for you!!!

TDKKP

Enlightened

Originally Posted by TDKKP

The difference is that the DBS is designed to be a Monster :devil: Thorwer and 6P with a drop-in is just a normal flashlight just my too Cents :wave: am sure others will clarify the issue for you!!!

So how much better throw between them? Anyone has both and beam shots?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

There are beamshots here, but I the current Malkoff throws a bit further then the one WadeF had, the Dereelight DBS also throws a bit further then the one he had in the review(better LED).

There is a good difference in throw.

TDKKP

Enlightened

There are beamshots here, but I the current Malkoff throws a bit further then the one WadeF had, the Dereelight DBS also throws a bit further then the one he had in the review(better LED).

There is a good difference in throw.

Thanks for the link!

I think I have to make it a little clearer on the title: DBS vs. 6P w/Dereelight DBS drop-in. I alreay got Malkoff M60 in one 6P, another 6P plus few more clones are testing with $10 DX drop-in, 5 modes Q5, R2 290 lumens drop-in but my Tiablo A9 with SMO is still the best thrower. Should I get the whole flaslight DBS V2 or just the DBS Dereelight drop-in for my 6P?

Fird

Enlightened

is the DBS dropin p60 sized? I was under the impression that it had a larger reflector and thus would not drop into a 6p or similar even though the pill itself is identical. The CL1H IS for sure a p60 sized lamp assembly, and though it throws well with its p60 sized reflector, I hear it's no match for the real DBS reflector+pill unit.

Fird

TDKKP

Enlightened

is the DBS dropin p60 sized? I was under the impression that it had a larger reflector and thus would not drop into a 6p or similar even though the pill itself is identical. The CL1H IS for sure a p60 sized lamp assembly, and though it throws well with its p60 sized reflector, I hear it's no match for the real DBS reflector+pill unit.

Fird

Good question.

Are these Dereelight drop-ins used in DBS V2 flaslights?

jake25

Enlightened

quite a lot of reading is ahead of you

in order to the monster throw the DBS gets, it needs a very large reflector to project such a beam. Dereelight is smart in that it uses the same PILL between P60's and the DBS ( i believe) but the reflectors are dramatically different. the DBS is not a P60 light.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

There Dereelight DBS uses a MUCH larger and deeper reflector than a P60 style module uses. My P60 modules generate anywhere from 5,500 to 10,000 LUX at one meter, depending on the drop in, the type of reflector, etc. The smooth reflectors will throw farther and generate a higher lux reading.

The DBS will generate around 26,000-28,500 lux depending on the pill (LED/driver circuit) used.

If you want to put a Dereelight light engine in a P60 compatible light, such as the SF 6P, I would recommend getting a Dereelight pill for the CL1H and a CL1H reflector, either smooth or textured (depending on what you want). You screw the pill into the reflector and drop it into the Surefire. You may have to add a spring to the Dereelight pill so it makes contact with the 6P. Like the spring that is found around a SF P60 module.

The pill for the DBS is a little different than the CL1H, but you could put a DBS pill into a CL1H reflector, but I find the CL1H pills get the LED deeper into the reflector for better throw.

Here is a picture, the DBS reflector is on the far left, then a P60 style reflector for a Dereelight pill, then a SF P60 module, and then a reflector out of a Fenix P3D.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF, which P60 dropin will get you 10K lux? I didn't know any were that focused.

I get a bit over 10k lux (on my meter) with a Dereelight CL1H with a smooth reflector, 3SD Q5 WC (focused the LED by adjusting how far the pill is screwed into the reflector, used an o-ring between the reflector and pill to "lock in" the desired focus. I installed an AR coated CL1H lens as well.