Surely someone makes an AA powered P60 host?

Brownstone

Enlightened
Surely someone makes an AA powered P60 host?

2xCR123A produces 6V. A 4xAA host could do the same without needing any boost/buck.

Has anybody produced such a body? Seems like it would have been an obvious product for the aftermarket.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Cost to manufacture. 2x2 setup would be $$$.

4 AA's in line would be very thin and long. 4 AA's in a battery carrier would be very fat and short. Both setups would be quite awkward to hold.

Brownstone

Enlightened
Those problems seem like they could be overcome - for example I have a 4xAA battery carrier light, and it isn't THAT bad to hold.

However, if nobody has ever made such a thing, I think that serves as evidence that the demand has never been enough to overcome the issues.

:shrug:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out TNC products. Theres a subforum here on CPF. TNC does make AA bodies that you can probably get to work with a P60 head. You'll probably need an e-series tail though.

tussery

Enlightened
You could if you were really intent on doing it modify a P60 in some way to fit inside a Pelican Stealthlite 2400 running on NiMH AA's. Trust me it powers the P60 perfectly I just blinded myself trying.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm guessing a 4AA arranged side by side in a 4-cell carrier would be too large diameter for most LEOs to pack on a tool-belt. As a tactical tool, the number of ways to hold it and support a firearm would be less due to the larger diameter. Unless of course you have unusually large hands, I imagine between the knuckle holds would be impossible.

Brownstone

Enlightened
I'm guessing a 4AA arranged side by side in a 4-cell carrier would be too large diameter for most LEOs to pack on a tool-belt. As a tactical tool, the number of ways to hold it and support a firearm would be less due to the larger diameter. Unless of course you have unusually large hands, I imagine between the knuckle holds would be impossible.

I wasn't picturing it as a LEO light, I was picturing it as a hobbyist / outdoors light. LEOs seem more than happy with CR123A.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I can't see why a 2x2AA setup wouldn't work... what about the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA? Granted, it had a module that combined a reflector and a Luxeon III - which probably doesn't register on a flashoholic's consciousness now - but it is an LED light with a 2x2AA setup that was fairly manageable.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to mod or create a new drop-in host to fit a P60... I guess the only thing is that it's a plastic polymer material so it's not very exotic ie. not HAIII but, during it's day, it was a popular light on this forum. I still have one... er somewhere. :eek:

So, anyone try this?:popcorn:

Rat6P

Enlightened
I use a 6P with 1 cell extender to use 2 X AA. (with a Led Module)
3 Xcr123 is almost exactly the same as 2 x AA.
Really easy to make a spacer tube to make up the difference in diametre.
I guess if you wanted 4AA you could get a 6P or 9P or equivelant knock off and the get the correct number of extenders for 4AA.
Would be a longish light though eh?:)

Or what about some Leef bodies......maybe a combination of them or something(I dont know much about leef) would be good..............still the problem with a long light though.

:shrug:

p.s 4 x cr123 is similar to 3 xAAA which i have also tried...just settled on the 2xAA for a nice legnth IMHO.
If you were to get an appropriately regulated (.5~1v-3~4v???) i imagine it would be quite brite.
I hope to pick up a Malkoff M30 lamp assembly for this reason.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well your new here but in simple terms, no.

-Evan

Somebody did make one quite awhile back. I think it was carried by Lighthound for a short while as well. It was very long. I remember some asian member pm'd me about it as well, he had bought one in a local shop. It was looooong. I'd rather have a 4AA Nimh side by side configuration with a battery carrier I think.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Just some thoughts:
A side-by-side with 2 cells per stack would work, but bodies would take more machining. Tubes are easier than double-bored oblongs, not to mention the threading issues you'd have. Not that it can't be done, and done well (I'm thinking of the SPY).

A 4-cell, single stack can be done, but you get a chunky body that's going to look strange with a little P60 drop-in at the end. For a little extra length, you could drop a wider reflector in and have some options for the beam. Adding a clicky switch would add some length, but the body might be too big for a good hold.
I've seen M@gs cut down and bored for this setup, and they seem to work, but the wall thickness starts to get thin. You also have a wide reflector - I suppose you could machine a narrow head and use the P60, but it seems like a lot of work for not much benefit.

My 2 cents, nothing more.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSpeck UBH (3xCR123A/2xAA) and a pair of AA extensions would do the trick, but they're not exactly common (or pretty).

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I didn't know AA bats can power high intensity lights like the P60. I thought that's why they use lithiums. How would the run-times on AAs be?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know AA bats can power high intensity lights like the P60. I thought that's why they use lithiums. How would the run-times on AAs be?

It is. We're mostly talking about running lights on AA Nimh's and AA lithiums. Runtime with alkalines would not be good.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think there were one or two 4AA dive lights that can take P60 modules(with gaps between the module and the side of the light). I don't remember the names though.