Flashaholic
Well, someone had to do it.

Case Study #1:

• Test Subject E01 B#2
  • Power Source = Duracell Alkaline
  • Start of Test = 18:30 EDT 05/19/2008
  • Starting Tempature = Cold Tap Water
  • Expected Ending Tempature = <= 32 degres F
  • Project Name = "FEF" -- (Fenix E01 Freeze)

CIMG0586Medium.jpg

CIMG0587Medium.jpg

CIMG0588Medium.jpg

CIMG0589Medium.jpg

Edit #1: There's not much to see here, but here are the pictures at 21:00, just a couple hours after the light went into the freezer.

CIMG0591Medium.jpg

CIMG0592Medium.jpg

CIMG0594Medium.jpg

CIMG0595Medium.jpg

These picture are from 05:30 the next morning. Notice the light has already gone completely out.

CIMG0596Medium.jpg

CIMG0597Medium.jpg

Here's what we have this evening at 18:00. It's just a big old block of ice at this point.

CIMG0608Medium.jpg

Now the melting process begins. I could not capture the pictures while the water was boiling. The steam was too intense to see past it and it was really laying a bunch of moisture at the camera. I didn't want to risk damaging it. What I found really to be pretty neat is that even prior to the water boiling, it heated up to the point where the light came back on by itself.

CIMG0609Medium.jpg

CIMG0610Medium.jpg

CIMG0611Medium.jpg

CIMG0612Medium.jpg

CIMG0613Medium.jpg

As crappy as a picture this is, it does show an unharmed Fenix E01, that when from a deep freeze to boiling, with no apparent ill-effects. The innards were dry, the battery was dry and there were absolutely no signs of damage.

CIMG0614Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe for the next test you can put a 150 pound weight on the water bottle for an hour to test water resistance to stimulate water pressure while diving.

dc42

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but how do you know the light doesn't go out when you close the door?:D

MstrHnky

Enlightened
lol...how do you know the light even exists when you cant see it...:whistle:

Crenshaw

metaphysics? brings me back to college. i wish i could have retained some of that knowledge. i always tell myself i'm going to pick up a general philosophy book and start learning that stuff all over again, but then i spend the money saved by not buying a book on a flashlight instead. :nana:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if your freezer is performing properly, the temperature should go well below the freezing point of an alkaline cells electrolyte, cause the cell to rupture, and ooze electrolyte all over the inside of your E01. Have fun...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I won't be able to post pictures until until tonight, but as of 05:30 this morning, the E01 is definately locked-in a block a ice. It's now glowing in moon mode, but I don't expect it will be lit when I get home tonight. We'll have to see. I'll post pictures tonight, but there's not much to see. I'm hoping it's still glowing when I get home, since the next step is to place the bottle in a pot of water, bring it to a boil to melt the ice and then extract my E01.