This is 200 torch lumens?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up my Malkoff M60 today from the post office, and since my C2-HA is backordered I picked up a yellow G2 LED as a temporary host and to-be utility light. Guestimating that this is 200 out the front I have to say I think I'll be much happier when we get 400+ lumens out of a similar package (single die @4-5 watts). I was somehow expecting a the beam from 10 feet on a white wall to blind me and I was sorely dissapointed.

Not to say the M60 is unimpressive, compared to my 3d Mag LED on narrow focus, a streamlight scorpion with fresh batts, and a "5 watt" luxV chinese light it handily spanks them all, even the MagLED couldn't produce a brighter hotspot, though that may be due to the old reflector(it's was cleaned a few times before I realized I was wiping the shiny off along with the dust). Maybe it's time to go HID for a quick fix.

LG&M

Enlightened
I would be glad to take the Malkoff off your hands. Hows 20$ sound? I can learn to live with only 200 lumens.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the M60 a lot ... and I agree that over time, with more and more lights in our collections, we start losing perspective of how nice our lights are. This is the reason why the manufacturers and custom makers have to keep improving the lights they make ... because we're difficult to satisfy :D

If you really don't like the M60, you could post it on CPFM and someone will snatch it pretty quickly. It could be hard at times to pick them up from Gene.

If M60 doesn't impress you, wait until the SF Invictus comes out. Or you could get the SF Beast. :whistle:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I guess my question would be...have you ever been blinded by shining any pocket flashlight on a wall at ten feet? I haven't and I have a few of them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any of the Q5 Fenixes shining on a wall are certainly enough to mess up your night vision for a few seconds, but you'll need the 400+ lumens to get an uncomfortably bright hotspot. My Terralux TLE-300 Mag (~600 lumens) is pretty much ceiling-bounce-only when used indoors.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, we flashaholics are always seeking ways to damage our eyes :laughing:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unsatisfied with the malkoff??:crackup: I know I said I thought it would wow me more but it's more like "give it up??? and be stuck with those mini-mag wannabes?":candle:. I think I've definately gone over the deep end, just the other day I was thinking to myself "man, people around here are really spoiled, I remember when a 65 lumen surefire 6p was the most amazing thing most folks had ever seen, and now people think it's anemic?" only to turn on my malkoff for the first time and think "... that's it?". God help me I think I won't be amazed again until we get 3000 lumen single AAA lights:mecry:.

Try it in a pitch black room, with your eyes adjusted to the dark.

:popcorn:
You know, that's actually the second thing I did as soon as I got it. Locked myself in the bathroom(no windows, so it was pitch black) and waited 5 minutes for my eyes to adjust. Then I zapped the rack of white towels to be amazed!... for the whole half second it took for my eyes to adjust, then it was "just the right amount of light for looking at things".

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Wait until you test it outside at night. You might be surprised with the throw.

+1, the two true tests of a flashlight's output; the outdoor throw and the indoor dark-adjusted ceiling bounce. 200 lumens is very impressive outdoors at night, probably even more so with the Malkoff optics, and it's more than enough to light a room thoroughly in darkness.

200 lumens is also waaay too bright for fully dark adjusted eyes, if you get up in the middle of the night and use your new light to get around, you'll find yourself quickly blinded (and others in the room awakened). Even the Fenixs' ~15 lumen low mode is too bright if you want to keep your night vision.

I think I've definately gone over the deep end

I'd recommend the aforementioned Terralux drop-in, there are no "... that's it?" moments at 600 lumens..

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think my Inova T2 (old 40 lumens model) was the brightest and best flashlight money can buy. I never thought I would be replacing it.
Unsatisfied with the malkoff??:crackup: I know I said I thought it would wow me more but it's more like "give it up??? and be stuck with those mini-mag wannabes?":candle:. I think I've definately gone over the deep end, just the other day I was thinking to myself "man, people around here are really spoiled, I remember when a 65 lumen surefire 6p was the most amazing thing most folks had ever seen, and now people think it's anemic?" only to turn on my malkoff for the first time and think "... that's it?". God help me I think I won't be amazed again until we get 3000 lumen single AAA lights:mecry:.

You know, that's actually the second thing I did as soon as I got it. Locked myself in the bathroom(no windows, so it was pitch black) and waited 5 minutes for my eyes to adjust. Then I zapped the rack of white towels to be amazed!... for the whole half second it took for my eyes to adjust, then it was "just the right amount of light for looking at things".

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually HAVE semi-blinded with the malkoff.

btw, you CAN have a painful-to-look-at-on-white-wall hot spot...just get any thrower and point it at a wall within 3 meters

:poof:

Crenshaw

precisionworks

Flashaholic
IMO, the M60 is most impressive on a pitch black night, while walking down a two lane country road. The spillbeam lights up the entire road width, and the throw is good for quite a few hundred feet. To me, it seems about equal in brightness to my Harley headlight (55 watt), both in spill & throw.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sssh: shhh ... we're trying to get him to sell it to us. I got my bid up to $25.01.

IMO, the M60 is most impressive on a pitch black night, while walking down a two lane country road. The spillbeam lights up the entire road width, and the throw is good for quite a few hundred feet. To me, it seems about equal in brightness to my Harley headlight (55 watt), both in spill & throw.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds about right, I'd say the m60 is pretty close to what I remember my M3 putting out with the HO lamp after a couple minutes, and that was bright enough to use in place of my '72 cutlass's headlamps one night. Tried it outside just now to confirm, I'd say it's real close, but the lack of color rendition hurts it compared to an incan of similar brightness. The lack of contrast makes it seem not as bright as my M3(backyard is full of green stuff). Take that for what it's worth though, I sold the M3 off like 4 years ago:oops:. Whenever the C2 gets here I'll do a beamshot extravaganza of everything in my arsenal.