ZEBRALIGHT H50 ALTERNATIVE??

fluff34567

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I was looking to get the H50 as i wanted a very small headlight to keep in the tool tray of my motorbike, i see the H50 Q5 is out of stock but the H50-P4 is in stock.

Now i have no idea what this means can someone explain pls??

Or can someone suggest an alternative - but it must be small, have a good beam and use AA or AAA batteries.

thanks in advance

ibcj

Enlightened
Both Zebralights are out of stock at Fenix-Store. When you try to add them to the cart, it lets you know. I did read somewhere that they were expecting a shipment of ZL's sometime this week, but I have no idea how many pre-orders they have.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix-Store.com just received a batch of H50 Q5s in stock.

Even though the website has not been updated to reflect this, I advise you place an order for it with the CPF8 code. I think you'll likely get it very quickly.

If not, you can always cancel your order and get it elsewhere later.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
A voice of dissent: I understand the desire for the best and the brightest, but honestly, with this light, the P4 is terrific (not to mention cheaper). Because of the wide flood beam and intended up close usage, the minuscule difference in brightnesses (0.6 lumens difference on low, 3 lumens on medium, and 16 lumens on high) means very little, especially considering the logarithmic way differences in light are perceived by our eyes. You may actually prefer having the slightly lower low and mid levels (10 lumens is just about perfect for most up close tasks, and 2 lumens is ample for total dark). The high seems plenty bright to me, and this isn't really the light of choice for blasting out high lumens anyway.

In any even, which ever version you choose, I'm sure you'll love it once it arrives. This is truly one of the first "revolutionary" must have lights to come out in a while in my opinion. The tiny size, common battery, and "portable flood" of light it provides has me taking it everywhere so that I can always read and draw on the go.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great point Solstice. I've got a sickness in me that demands the latest and greates, so personally I want the Q5. :) At the expense of my wallet. :sick2:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm surprised the H50 is being discussed this much for use as a headlamp. Is it really that well regarded as a headlamp? I know it's a great light to set on a counter or clip to your belt or hang from your neck when a wide flood is needed but I tried mine once as a headlamp and did not like it. There wasn't enough light (I used a NIMH, not a lithium but I don't believe that matters) and while on your head it's terrible to operate. I had the Q5 version, btw.

I was considering the H30 for the brighter light (at the cost of some flood) and one handed operation.

Aren't there better choices if ALL you are looking for is a headlamp? I know the H50 does many things very well but it's performance as a headlamp is why I sold it.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I'll be using the H50 as a headlamp while I do outdoor yardwork. My hands will be dirty so I won't want to change modes anyway.

I think for yard work it should be fine. Once I actually use it for that purpose I'll report back on how useful it is.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm surprised the H50 is being discussed this much for use as a headlamp. Is it really that well regarded as a headlamp? I know it's a great light to set on a counter or clip to your belt or hang from your neck when a wide flood is needed but I tried mine once as a headlamp and did not like it. There wasn't enough light (I used a NIMH, not a lithium but I don't believe that matters) and while on your head it's terrible to operate. I had the Q5 version, btw.

I was considering the H30 for the brighter light (at the cost of some flood) and one handed operation.

Aren't there better choices if ALL you are looking for is a headlamp? I know the H50 does many things very well but it's performance as a headlamp is why I sold it.

Maybe your need to specify what you use your headlamp for.
I believe that the H50 is the absolute best headlamp for closeup work.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm surprised the H50 is being discussed this much for use as a headlamp. Is it really that well regarded as a headlamp?
Yes.
There wasn't enough light (I used a NIMH, not a lithium but I don't believe that matters)
NiMH is fine.
and while on your head it's terrible to operate.
I've always felt that the UI of a headlamp is much less important than that of a handheld light since it's usually left running for longer periods and "operation" just means leaving it running, but YMMV.
I haven't felt one handed operation is important for a headlamp since the whole idea of a headlamp is that it leaves you with both hands free. But I can operate the H50 one-handed with just a bit of dexterity.

fluff34567

Newly Enlightened
thanks 4 all the replies - i ordered the H50 and recieved a mail this morning to say i was shipped. i need something very small so it easily fits on the bike tray and it looks like the H50 is perfect 4 that.

fleetparadox

Newly Enlightened
thanks 4 all the replies - i ordered the H50 and recieved a mail this morning to say i was shipped. i need something very small so it easily fits on the bike tray and it looks like the H50 is perfect 4 that.

May I ask where you ordered it from?

Both Fenix Store and Zebralight show it being out of stock.

Thanks.

jbieszke

Newly Enlightened
I dont know much about the H50 P4 but I have the H50 Q5 and recieved the H30 2 days ago. I'm an electrician who depends on a headlamp nearly all day and the H50 is very nice, almost perfect on level 2 when your working with all colors of wires (13 lm) level 3 the bright is intense, as for the H30 it will knock your socks off level 2 is perfect especially with the beam pattern which I think is like 70degrees you really cant ask for more my opinion if your looking for the H50 for just a few dollars more you can have the H30 and I dont think you will regret the purchase

paulr

Flashaholic
Bike tray? I'm not sure what that is. But I think the H50 isn't a good headlight for riding a bike, as it doesn't have enough throw. It is mainly for close-up use. If you want a bike light, get a bike light.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the H50 only useful for things within arm reach. So for reading, cooking, setting up tent its great!

I tried to hike a trail and hang up a bear bag over a branch and it sucked. And the branch wasn't even that high. I switched to a SSC, reflector modded EOS which was much better.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bike tray? I'm not sure what that is. But I think the H50 isn't a good headlight for riding a bike, as it doesn't have enough throw. It is mainly for close-up use. If you want a bike light, get a bike light.

Read his first post, it is for the tool tray (think tool "kit") of his motorbike, meaning for use during nightime repairs. H50 is :thumbsup: for that sort of use.