E2DL and R123's

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I purchased a E2DL today and am very impressed by this little light but really need to know if it can handle 3.7v R123's.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a E2DL today and am very impressed by this little light but really need to know if it can handle 3.7v R123's.

You can use 1 RCR123 3.7 v in a 1-cell body, or two in your E2DL body just fine. :) Enjoy your new light! The E2DL is a beauty!

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Thank's I just tried it, low mode is a little brighter but free lumens are better. I paid a little more because I got it at a local store but its sooo bright, its up there with my M60 and T1 but its not dark yet so its hard to tell.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank's I just tried it, low mode is a little brighter but free lumens are better. I paid a little more because I got it at a local store but its sooo bright, its up there with my M60 and T1 but its not dark yet so its hard to tell.

The same thing happens if you got the KX2 for your E2e...(if you have one). The low mode is a little brighter, and the high is just a tad brighter too...but they work just fine.

Note, the circuitry in the E2DL and KX2 are similar, but they're different from the E1L (KX1) and E1B heads...so don't go trying to put 2 RCR's through those. Even one RCR123 3.7 v won't work right with them...you'll get a slow-strobe effect.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if a 17670 will fit and what the runtimes are?

17670's wont fit into the E2DL bodies...unless you get them bored out. I had milkyspit bore out my E2e-BK body for $30. Runtime...who knows...over an hour for sure on high.

Spypro

Enlightened
Anyone else tried RCR123 in the E2DL ? I'm planing to buy one and I would like to know if it is safe to do so. I got a bunch of AW's RCR123 waiting here ;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Anyone else tried RCR123 in the E2DL ? I'm planing to buy one and I would like to know if it is safe to do so. I got a bunch of AW's RCR123 waiting here ;)

I just now tried it tonight and it seems to work great. No telling what effect prolonged use will have but the Cree generally seems to be a very flexible LED. I suppose there could be circuitry issues too, but on the surface it works very well.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

E2DL heads work fine on 1xRCR123. I haven't tried 2xRCR123. Have fun with those guilt-free lumens!

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if a 17670 will fit and what the runtimes are?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I thought the UNPROTECTED 17670s would fit in the two-cell E-series lights.
I used to use them a lot in my Es, but haven't tried recently and don't have one on me to check with the E2DL specifically.
If the E-series bodies havn't changed recently, then I can say that all of the UNPROTECTED 17670s that I have owned do fit.
Keep in mind that the E2DL has a plastic ring surrounding the positive contact, so you would need a 17670 with the protruding button positive (such as the Ultrafire).
I'd also like to know what the runtime on high is with a 17670. My guess is that it will fall out of regulation on high before the voltage is low enough to damage your unprotected 17670.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Well its been a little more than a month now and I think this has been one of my best light purchases to date. I have been using tenergy 3.0v 750mah R123's over the AW's 123's because they retain a better low mode(about the same as a SF 123) and the regulation circuit of the light kicks in before the batteries do. The AW's work but the low mode is brighter than I like it to be and the battery regulation kicks in before the light does, not a big deal but I rather not be left in the dark. The only 17670's I have are protected and will not fit, but I did put the E2DL head on a E1L body with a AW 123, the output on high was less but not a lot, should be the same with a 17670 but with more runtime.

Big :thumbsup: to surefire on this light, they finally put enough current to the LED.

alantch

Enlightened
For my E2DL body, AW's P17670 cells would only go 3/4 of the way in and this happened for both the cells that I have. A closer check revealed there was a very minute lip towards the rear of the tube, so small in fact that if you don't look closely enough you'll miss it. I'm guessing it about 0.1/0.2mm but enough to stop the 17670 from being inserted fully. A quick sanding down of the inner tube with a handheld drill with sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel did the trick - all done in less than 10 minutes.

Tested with a fully charged 17670, the output is slightly lower compared to using 2 x 123 cells. Haven't tried using 2xR123s though which I'm sure will be even brighter due to the higher voltage. Can't say about the low mode since mine is the single stage version :D