Very floody 2xAA light

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something with the spill/flood of say an led headlamp. Nice big bright beam with not too bright a center. What are some good choices?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking at the numbers on the LFX5T would think its ideal for what you need, but i think a minimag with a drop-in and just removing the reflector would do good as well

kramer5150

Flashaholic
nite-ize 3 emitter drop in for AA minimag.

CHEERS
-Cheap ~$6
-Retains the OEM MAG water resistance.
-Just bright enough to be useful, yet dim enough to avoid blinding you when your eyes are dilated at night.
-Uses cheap $9 host.
-Runs for a LONG time on any 2AA cell.
-Easy to install.
-Reverse polarity protection
-Runs cool, IE, no thermal issues.
-Durable, I have lost count how many times I have dropped mine. At least a dozen or so.

JEERS
-Fugly blue tint, my biggest complaint :green::barf:.
-Strange rings and imperfections to the extreme sides of its floody beam.
-Bezel needs to be tightened ALL THE WAY (tight) to securely seal water out between the lens front and bezel rim.

Neutral (may be good or bad depending on your preferences)
-floody, no hot spot.
-Only throws 12-15 feet, beyond that is nothing.
-9 Lumens
-The emitters come from the factory all "bent" and leaning all over the place, rather than pointing straight ahead. I dont know if this makes a difference, but, straightening the LEDs so they are all parallel is something I did to my module.

Overall for $6 its a good value, and it will transform an incan minimag into a very serviceable close-range light. Its great for close range use at a camp site and inside a tent. I have MUCH brighter lights, yet I continue to use this one all the time. Although I think the much smaller Fenix E01 EDC accomplishes the same thing.

IMHO a DIY a lens diffuser on shiningbeam RC-N3 Q5, might be worth your consideration.

Last edited:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
yeah im not crazy about that nite-ize thing, rather save up for a better drop in. I have DIY'ed a diffused for my rc-n3(only a p4 tho), so maybe thats enough. Thanks for the breakdown though, I never really saw any solid info on the nite ize before.

czguy1978

Newly Enlightened
I have WAY too many flashlight but to be honest, for the longest time, my number 1 used flashlight - in the house - was a Quest Minimag clone (with a clickie) and one of the white Nite Ize dropins. I used 1000 grit sandpaper on the LEDs to the hotspot was wider and more consistant and had less artifacts, but of course, throw is even less than stock.

These days, I use a Rexlight on low or a JetBeam CLE almost all the time... in the house or not unless I'm in a very rural area then I still have one of those two as a back up.

I'm definitely more about having a wide hotspot and decent spill than max throw. The Rex and the CLE are both very good in that department. I also have an older 2 stage clickie Luma 1xAA light (LM302 maybe?) that has a Cree and I put a diffuser on it. It's a bit green, but it probably has the widest hotspot of any AA light I've ever seen. The HDS lights are absolutely perfect in my opinion. I have a modded Basic 42, but the CLE is 95% as good for 1/8 the cost.

Last edited: