I need a thrower!

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Hello all,

Well i need a thrower

pretty much looking for a light that will run on regular 123A batts, ( not in to rechargeables yet...)

reliable, against dropping and moisture

200+ lumens
and good run time ( best bang for my buck per lumens )

I would like to buy from a dealer that is based in the U.S. that is well known.

im willing to spend $100-150

So far i thought of Three flashlights

Fenix - TK10
Dereelight - DBS 2SM
Tiablo - A8 or A9

any suggestions would be great

Thanks alot

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you really like the idea of buying and then throwing away CR123A cells, I suggest a raidfire spear. It runs off 1 18650 for not-very-long with a very nice low mode (~5 lumens) for a very long time should you need it, and has very impressive lux numbers. Also, knock the TK10 off that list- it can throw, but it's definitely not a true throw monster, which I'm guessing is what you're looking for.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of throw:
Dereelight DBS
Tiablo
Fenix TK10

Fenix has small reflector and quite floody beam. It's good torch for every day use, definitely not thrower.

'Jarl' was first:D.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use both CR123A and 18650 then buy the Tiablo.

IF you are fine with just using 18650, the Raidfire has more lux then the DBS, but the DBS V2 DI has programmable output level.

the Tk10, while being decent at throwing, is NOT a thrower..

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
, the Raidfire has more lux then the DBS, but the DBS V2 DI has programmable output level.
Crenshaw

Actually the DBS, when properly configured, has more lux than the Raidfire. However in real world use you won't see much of a difference.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Thanks alot guys for all the replys and suggestions...

i think i am leaning more towards the Tiablo, ...but which one? A8 or A9? are they both basicly the same? but the A9 with an upgraded LED?

and with the anti roll ring combat grip thing, what material is it made out of ?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the DBS, when properly configured, has more lux than the Raidfire. However in real world use you won't see much of a difference.
ooops, my bad, bad memory of sb's thread... but its true, real world not much diff.thats the only reason i havnt alreayd got the dbs to replace my A9

OP, the A8 comes with a Forward Single Level Clicky, and no grip rings.

The A9 comes with the Grip rings, and the body has an indent for them. The A9 comes with a two level Reverse Clicky. The clicky works the two modes similar to how the Surefire L1 does it, with a resistor. its just, with the A9, you click for the first, resistored level, and click again for the un resistored level.

Crenshaw

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Hmm havnt had my hands on an L1, i dont really understand how the switching mode works, i have a fenix P3D so im familar with that....but besides that...i dont follow, can someone explain it in more detail? oh, and the combat ring, is that plastic or alum?

Edit, oh yea is the combat ring removeable?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks alot guys for all the replys and suggestions...

i think i am leaning more towards the Tiablo, ...but which one? A8 or A9? are they both basicly the same? but the A9 with an upgraded LED?

and with the anti roll ring combat grip thing, what material is it made out of ?

The A8 is mainly for 18650 batteries and A9 is mainly for 2xCR123A batteries.

Here are reviews of them:
http://www.light-reviews.com/tiablo_a8/review.html
http://www.light-reviews.com/tiablo_a9s/review.html

Check the runtime graph for the different battery configuration.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Dereelight fan. So that's my vote. Though another good thrower, though not quite good as the DBS in throw distance but still very well made, is a Lumapower MRV.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
wait a min i cant believe the tiablo is only a lil over 6 inches long! i thought it was like 8 inches or something! am i converting this right?

15.8cm long = 6.22047244 inches according to google?!

HKJ

Flashaholic
wait a min i cant believe the tiablo is only a lil over 6 inches long! i thought it was like 8 inches or something! am i converting this right?

15.8cm long = 6.22047244 inches according to google?!

Yes, and all the thrower lights are about the same size.

In this picture your can see some of them, together with a 2C maglite:
DSC_1243a.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The N30 is probably not the size you want and it doesn't run off of CR123s but it will out throw all the other light on your list.

I'd go for the DBS because it can be easily upgrades but the A9 would work well too(and be of lower price).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the DBS Dereelight V1 and V2 next to the Spear so you can see how they compare as well:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Wow...i wonder how long i can EDC a thrower before i get tired of it LOL, i have a G2 so that 6p in the picture gives me a good refrence....