Fenix P3D Premium Q5

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new to LED flashlight. Intent to buy the Fenix P3D Premium Q5. However i have few questions and hope that members here can help.:wave:

Does the Fenix P3D Premium Q5 really produced 215 Lumens on turbo mode or its over exclaimed?

Does the turbo mode really last 1.8Hrs on full brightness?

Can the turbo mode be constantly on through out whole batteries life without buring the LED?

Last edited:

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mag317,

I have a Fenix P3D and I can not recommend this light high enough! I have it on my duty - belt every day and I am very satisfied with it!

I am not sure, if it is really 215 lumens on the Q5 model. But I could not find any flashlight, brighter than my 200 lumens rebell model at work.
I also don't really care, if it's 200, 195 or what ever. It is bright! That's for sure. And it has a good beam and a nice spill!

Also I can not answer, if it really lasts for about 1.8 hours constant on in Turbo Mode! But I can tell you, that I use it nearly every night shift and on several occaisions at day shift. The batteries in are still the first. They were used before and I use it now for about two months.

As I said before, I have not tested an "all out" Turbo Mode run. It gets warm, that's right. And as I learned just some days ago: Thats good because it brings the heat away from the LED!

I hope I could give you a little help!

Greetings,

Stephan

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D will not dissapoint, and if you grab if from fenix-store david will take great care of you. No reason to say much else cause Stephan really did a good job laying it all out..

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stephan,

thanks for your info. I ever bought a MTE 42180 because of its high output lumens of 250. But quite disappointed when i realised from the instruction note mentioning not to operate on high mode for more than 30mins.

I need a LED light for night trail usually last more than 1hr. And i find that Fenix P3D is small and yet powerful to carry along with me.

Hi Mag317,

I have a Fenix P3D and I can not recommend this light high enough! I have it on my duty - belt every day and I am very satisfied with it!

I am not sure, if it is really 215 lumens on the Q5 model. But I could not find any flashlight, brighter than my 200 lumens rebell model at work.
I also don't really care, if it's 200, 195 or what ever. It is bright! That's for sure. And it has a good beam and a nice spill!

Also I can not answer, if it really lasts for about 1.8 hours constant on in Turbo Mode! But I can tell you, that I use it nearly every night shift and on several occaisions at day shift. The batteries in are still the first. They were used before and I use it now for about two months.

As I said before, I have not tested an "all out" Turbo Mode run. It gets warm, that's right. And as I learned just some days ago: Thats good because it brings the heat away from the LED!

I hope I could give you a little help!

Greetings,

Stephan

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
Does the Fenix P3D Premium Q5 really produced 215 Lumens on turbo mode or its over exclaimed?
It is over exclaimed but not more than any other flashlight brand, except Surefire.
All chinese lumens are the emiter lumens, wich are higher than the real output lumens. But most of chinese numbers can be compared.
Does the turbo mode really last 1.8Hrs on full brightness?
The P3D has a very good regulation. The brightness remains constant until the battery protection cut off (then it's dark night :)).
With RCR123 AW (rechargeable 750 mAh, or 600 measured mAh), the runtime in turbo mode is 1h11. In high mode, it is 3h12.
Here is my runtime graph: http://lermite.nerim.net/lampes/P3D_Q5.png
With primary cells, consider these durations x 2.
Can the turbo mode be constantly on through out whole batteries life without buring the LED?
Yes, it can but with an adequate heat sinking. Holding the flashlight by hand is enough. The light will get too hot only if it is left alone, as a candle by example.

Last edited:

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

thanks for the additional info. Any ideal what is the real output for high mode?

It is over exclaimed but not more than any other flashlight brand, except Surefire.
All chinese lumens are the emiter lumens, wich are higher than the real output lumens. But most of chinese numbers can be compared.

The P3D has a very good regulation. The brightness remains constant until the battery protection cut off (then it's dark night :)).
With RCR123 AW (rechargeable 750 mAh, or 600 measured mAh), the runtime in turbo mode is 1h11. In high mode, it is 3h12.
Here is my runtime graph: http://lermite.nerim.net/lampes/P3D_Q5.png
With primary cells, consider these durations x 2.

Yes, it can but with an adequate heat sinking. Holding the flashlight by hand is enough. The light will get too hot only if it is left alone, as a candle by example.

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
Any ideal what is the real output for high mode?
Absolutly none :)
I only have flashlights with false lumens numbers. As those false numbers can be compared, they are enough to me.
Knowing the real brightness is only usefull to compare to a Surefire light because I know no other brand that advertise on real lumens.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutly none :)
I only have flashlights with false lumens numbers. As those false numbers can be compared, they are enough to me.
Knowing the real brightness is only usefull to compare to a Surefire light because I know no other brand that advertise on real lumens.

erhm... Novatac, and HDS both do and I am sure there are others...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D Q5 has been measured to be around 200 lumen on Turbo. I'd say 170 is a good safe lumen number.

EV_007

Enlightened
It is good all around light. Not suited for any one type of task, but will handle majority of everyday usage.

I got mine from Lighthound.com which carries others flashlight related items as well.

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
Consider quite a good output even for 170 lumens. Have you tried running on turbo mode constantly without buring the LED?

The P3D Q5 has been measured to be around 200 lumen on Turbo. I'd say 170 is a good safe lumen number.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I currently don't own a single Fenix(what a surprise) but unless you leave the light alone in an oven(or by itself for the whole of the runtime), the LED shouldn't burn out but it will be damaged.

As long as you keep the light in your hand or somewhere where the excess heat can be removed, you should be fine running the light on turbo.

tricker

Enlightened
Hi Stephan,

thanks for your info. I ever bought a MTE 42180 because of its high output lumens of 250. But quite disappointed when i realised from the instruction note mentioning not to operate on high mode for more than 30mins.

I need a LED light for night trail usually last more than 1hr. And i find that Fenix P3D is small and yet powerful to carry along with me.

i don't honestly think your going to need this light on turbo mode the entire time your on a trail......my P1d is amazing on primary mode, and P3 should be even better

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
It is good all around light. Not suited for any one type of task, but will handle majority of everyday usage.

i think he put it well for the way i feel about the p2d and p3d, its a good all around light, u cant expect such a small reflector to light up the other end of a foot ball field, or expect it to do mircals, but i do agree that it will handle a majority of everyday's task, and its a great edc, very comfortable and light weight.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

thanks for the additional info. Any ideal what is the real output for high mode?

I use a Nova-Tac 120p which is accurately rated at- you guessed it- 120 lumens out the front. The P3D Q5 I just purchased from Bright Guy is considerably brighter- turbo mode on this is by far brighter than any other single led I own. (Not sure what your exact use will be, but hiking / biking in complete darkness, high mode will be more than enough!! And you may see about 4 hours of use from a single set of 123 primaries. Also CHECK OUT RECHARGEABLE LI-IONS if you are using it a lot. This will save you some money!!

txgp17

Enlightened
I don't see how the P3D can be left on in Turbo mode for extended periods of time.

Mine got clicked on while taking a nap one day in my pocket. It burned my thigh, literally left a 2nd degree burn.

But it's still an awesome light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't see how the P3D can be left on in Turbo mode for extended periods of time.

Mine got clicked on while taking a nap one day in my pocket. It burned my thigh, literally left a 2nd degree burn.

But it's still an awesome light.

Key point to your story, it was in your pocket. That's not where a flashlight is meant to be used.

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Suprised it burnt you considering if it was in that close of contact your thigh did not act as a heat sink shure it would be hot. but with mine as long as I have my hand around it it never get hot enough to burn ( I frequently run mine on turbo for extended periods)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have a P3D Q5 also and it's the brightest light I own for it's size. The only thing I have that's brighter is my Sams Club HID, and that one doesn't fit in my pocket. :laughing: I can highly recommend the Fenix.

BTW I got mine at brightguy.com.