Any Opinions? X2000 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Glass Lens Cree P4 LED Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottawa411

Newly Enlightened
SKU 13732 at DX shows a 3 AAA flashlight with a very interesting looking flood to throw zooming lens flashlight. Has anyone seen this light before? Is it worth the $20? What mods might be possible for it?

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Wow.
Nice find.
That tight focus looks very positively aspheric.

Seems like a low budget copy of the Led lenser "hocus focus" light.

For that price, i consider it ordered (even though its direc drive, and a P4, and a 3*aaa setup). It might be modable...

pinball

Newly Enlightened
Adjustable flood / thrower

Hello all,

Just saw this one on DX's site;
adjustable flood / thrower <-- link removed, sry bout that :sssh:
i'm really interested by it as it seems to have adjustable flood/throw.:D
but my question is could it be modded with a cree Q5 and a decent driver?
because i can imagine if the Q5 puts out light in another angle then the P4 the optics would not work ok.
any of you real flasoholics got an opinion on this? :shrug:
Thanks in advance,

Marco

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adjustable flood / thrower

Oh no! You've included a link! This thread is going to be locked >.>

Main problem: 3xAAA light= no driver board. I know it's a huge sweeping generalisation, but for the most part it's true. Course, if you can mod it, RCR123, linear dropper @700ma, etc, then it'll be nice. However, don't expect anything special stock.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you really not post links to a light that someone is asking questions about? How can anyone help if we don't know what light is being asked about?

I think posting links to DX is okay if it's a discussion about a light, as long as it isn't just "Hey, look what I found!" which would just be a product announcement.

Maybe a mod can help clarify what is acceptable?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd drop an 18500 in it for more runtime at a more stable level and possibly brighter too. Most 3AAA lights that use battery carriers can easily be adapted to 18500.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The problem is, people post links and say "lets have a discussion about this light!", and then mods go "lol advertising, go to good deals". Other times, people say "hey, how about this light? SKU xxxx at a site with some pretty extreme deals!" and you get to have a discussion about the light.

This has gone way off topic now, so probably will be locked anyway (as well as the fact there's another thread about it), but yes, some clarification on how to announce a product worth discussing without being told to go to the good deals section would be nice.

ronemca

Newly Enlightened

Okay - well, there's nothing detrimental about this, then:

What if a "I'm-wondering-what-people-think-about-this-light" post is simply a request for opinions...as opposed to a good deal?

I realize there is hardly a light in existence that hasn't been dissected and discussed ad infinitum...but unfortunately, there's hardly a light in existence that hasn't been dissected and discussed ad infinitum! That makes it somewhat ponderous for an individual to locate info on that particular light.

On a barely-related note...

I am a member of various other non-flashlight forums, and there are always a few people who have no patience for newbies. (We were all one of those at one time; poor sods who haven't read every review ever posted.) But this forum has proven to be refreshingly different. People don't set upon the new guy with snapping jaws & fiery eyes when he stammers out his question. On the contrary; CPF-ers are polite, and friendly. But...

...back to the original issue: when somebody comes across a light that seems interesting, or ideal, or fascinating, or who knows what -- but not necessarily a "good deal" -- is it permissible for that person to at least name the thing? Could he say, for example:

Model #112A for $23.49 on the DX website?

otherwise it's awfully hard for other post readers to be able to offer an opinion.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I wanna be clear on this, though:
I think this is a great forum. And I recognize & appreciate how tough it can be to keep things running smoothly, and have members toe the line etc.. I'm just putting some food for thought on the table. :grin2:

Last edited:

Zeige

Enlightened

Its sku #13732 posted as new item today. Adjustable flood to throw. When you adjust to throw the beam becomes rectangle-ish.
Looks interesting tho. Not sure if its too mod-able.....

NickBose

Enlightened
The concept is what I have been waiting for: a manufactured light (i.e. affordable, unlike modded lights which are usually very expensive) with focusable beam.
However I want them to be a P7, regulated, and made by some known brand like Fenix, Dereelight, Tiablo, or Romisen,...
About the posted light, I'm not sure about the focusing action: sliding the whole head up and down? Any mechanism to keep it at the wanted level of focusing? Is there any pre-set focus level or is it smoothly adjustable all the way between x1 and x2000?
One potentially problem is the contacts of battery catridge: I have got several lights with battery cartridge and all of them quickly became severely flickering. What good is a light with annoying flicker?
Therefore: though I like the concept very much, I would stay away from this light and wait.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, you cannot get a p7 focusable light for less than a p7 emitter.
But i ordered that one, and will take a look whether i can put a p7 inside.
Otherwise, it will just go to my parents...

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice light, i'll wait for at least CR123 or 18650 version. I hopes that the sliding mechanisme doesnt slide off :)

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I bought the previous one.
I "modded" it for RC123 use, which sadly resulted in the battery holder getting stuck, and i havent yet found time to cut it out.

The light was better then i would have expected.... in spot mode, it outthrew my p3d on turbo (although of course quite a bit less total output), and defocused it was a nice, homogenous spot.

The built quality was... ok. the sliding mechanism felt a bit weak, but nevertheless it had a well defined path, and stayed put wherever you left it.

Status
Not open for further replies.