Ultimate Maglite D heatsink

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

I'm trying to make a Mag 2D running 7 Cree XR-E R2's on 8 NiMH AA's with a MaxFlex2 driver. All parts are available, but I can not find a good heatsink. So I designed a new custom heatsink :) This heatsink is made for ultimate heat dissipation from the LEDs to the flashlight head and body. It also offers enough space for no less than 7 McR-16-XR reflectors, however the reflectors need a tiny bit of dremel'ing.

Here is the design :
MagDsink2.jpg

Here are 2 alternative designs, which is actually just a part of the above heatsink.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/Pallieter85/Mag D heatsink/MagDsinkalt.jpg

Feel free to discuss the design and possible improvements, I'd like to get some feedback :)

Thanks!
Erasmus

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
In my opinion, not too difficult to do if you have a lathe - looks like a nice 2-3 hour project to do in a weekend, specially if the 25mm x 34mm piece at the bottom is solid - this would mean that you can cut the whole thing without ever removing from the chuck (all operations from one side) ;)

I prefer the single piece design, but that is just me :D

By the way, great job with the drawings - which package you used?

Will

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will

SketchUp? Based on this and the copper bases for Crees.

Oh, and in the first one and last one, the max OD for the part contacting the inside of the head can be as large as 48.2mm. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, not too difficult to do if you have a lathe - looks like a nice 2-3 hour project to do in a weekend, specially if the 25mm x 34mm piece at the bottom is solid - this would mean that you can cut the whole thing without ever removing from the chuck (all operations from one side) ;)

I prefer the single piece design, but that is just me :D

Will
Thanks for the nice comments. The bottom is solid indeed, I'll dril one hole for the wires myself.

For the drawings I used Google SketchUp, probably the most easy 3D drawing software available :)

Since I am new to CNC, is there some software in which you can design things so you just have to drag these files in the CNC computer so it will automatically make the design? That would be cool :)

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
SketchUp? Based on this and the copper bases for Crees.

Oh, and in the first one and last one, the max OD for the part contacting the inside of the head can be as large as 48.2mm. Just something to think about.
Yep it's SketchUp :) Thanks for the corrected measurements. I carefully measured the flashlight again and indeed 48.2mm is possible for the head and for the barrel 34.2mm is also better. I updated the drawing :)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments. The bottom is solid indeed, I'll dril one hole for the wires myself.

For the drawings I used Google SketchUp, probably the most easy 3D drawing software available :)

Since I am new to CNC, is there some software in which you can design things so you just have to drag these files in the CNC computer so it will automatically make the design? That would be cool :)

I have experience CNC cutting parts drawn in Autodesk Inventor. The process is identical for SolidWorks. Using those programs, as you design parts, which you do using a technique called constructive solid geometry, you impart data into the model that allows the model file to be processed by CNC software into g-codes for the machine. SketchUp doesn't do this. To cut these parts out of metal with a CNC machine, they would have to be redrawn in a program that can export a filetype that the CNC software can read. That wouldn't be difficult, these parts are very simple.

If you would have made this thread two weeks ago, I could have done these parts for you in Inventor (not the milling, but the models and drawings). But they'd be very simple to make on a manual lathe.

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have experience CNC cutting parts drawn in Autodesk Inventor. The process is identical for SolidWorks. Using those programs, as you design parts, which you do using a technique called constructive solid geometry, you impart data into the model that allows the model file to be processed by CNC software into g-codes for the machine. SketchUp doesn't do this. To cut these parts out of metal with a CNC machine, they would have to be redrawn in a program that can export a filetype that the CNC software can read. That wouldn't be difficult, these parts are very simple.

If you would have made this thread two weeks ago, I could have done these parts for you in Inventor (not the milling, but the models and drawings). But they'd be very simple to make on a manual lathe.
Thanks for your advice, through my university I can get a free license and full version download for Autodesk Inventor, I will download it tomorrow in the library. 5 GB is quite a lot to download!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished it. And yes Will it did take about 3 hours. I had to whittle down a piece of 2.5" stock to make it because that's all I had around that was big enough.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished it. And yes Will it did take about 3 hours. I had to whittle down a piece of 2.5" stock to make it because that's all I had around that was big enough.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg
I can not believe my eyes, this is so amazing! Exactly like the drawing and the finish looks gorgeous! Looks like it's polished :D This is truly incredible! PM sent :)

I really hope this is the one with adjusted measurements (48.2mm instead of 48.0mm and 34.2mm instead of 34.0mm).

Cheers!!!

James35

Newly Enlightened
Now that is going to dissipate some heat! Good job! Must be nice having access to equipment like that.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 7 McR-16-XR reflectors in my Laser Engraved 7 Cree XR-E Mod shown in my avatar.

I did not have to dremel the reflectors, I just had the seat in the head lowered by .040" as seen here:
IMG_6174.jpg

thanks to cmacclel for the idea, and machining suggestions.

I used the threaded modamag perfect sink, and sanded it flat. The new sink you are building would offer better heat dissipation.