Any considered intrinsically safe?

painless

Newly Enlightened
Can any of the Fenix,Surefire,Tiablo or Deree LED lights be considered intrinsically safe?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the hell does intrinsically safe mean? Won't explode on you when you abuse the batteries? Won't burn you if you leave it on max in a pocket?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be safe I wouldn't put black powder or other flammable/ignitable substance or powder in the flashlight purely as a precautionary measure.

There can be risks with cheap lithium batteries but it is rare. Not a flashlight issue as such but it isn't helped by a pipe bomb like flashlight incasing them.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably already know this but Streamlight makes a few models that are good that have various safety ratings. The Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux is a great light for many reasons that has all kinds of safety ratings.

DM51

Flashaholic
What the hell does intrinsically safe mean? Won't explode on you when you abuse the batteries? Won't burn you if you leave it on max in a pocket?
Jarl, js warned you recently in another thread about your posting style.

This is a further ill-natured and unhelpful contribution from you, and I am warning you once more. You need to make some adjustments to your style and attitude, or you will face withdrawal of your posting privileges.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't all the MCU controlled lights be intrinsically safe by default?
Low current at the switch = no arc = low probability of igniting... things... :)

sawlight

Enlightened
From what I am gathering, you are pretty much stuck with a plastic light! And if you want to use use it in a hazardous environment, I certainly wouldn't want a metal light any ways!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can any of the Fenix,Surefire,Tiablo or Deree LED lights be considered intrinsically safe?

Are they officially rated as such? No.

But they are water resistant to a reasonable depth, so I wouldn't worry about them with gases.

Also, aluminum doesn't spark, so no risk there.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they officially rated as such? No.

But they are water resistant to a reasonable depth, so I wouldn't worry about them with gases.

Also, aluminum doesn't spark, so no risk there.

What about HAIII on a steel surface?

painless

Newly Enlightened
Pelicans are OK, yet I have personally had a "empolyer issued" Pelican I.S. polymer body flashlight literally disentigrate in my hand after a momentary exposure to a commonly used electrical cleaner aerosol. Seriously, it litreally crumbled away in my hand within seconds of exposure. This same cleaner is used on process control electronics and PCBs so it is not caustic or volitile. If it was, my employers sefety department would never allow it's use to begin with.
Sure they are cheap and replacable. I prefer a bit more rugged/long term tooling. Work on offshore drilling and completion rigs is not very forgiving on tools.
Maybe a good suggestion I should pose to these manufacturers? They may make a few extra bucks if they make one affordable.

Anyone else have a sugestion?
Needs to fit in a belt holster, say the size of a T1/TK10, Tiablo A9/MA6 or mid size Deree.

Last edited:

painless

Newly Enlightened
I believe the anodizing process does not effect aluminum in its inability to spark. It only offers a measure of protection from surface corrosion.

painless

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response people. I will give Streamlight a look, maybe they use a superior/alternative polymer????

bitslammer

Enlightened
I believe the anodizing process does not effect aluminum in its inability to spark. It only offers a measure of protection from surface corrosion.

Metals in general will be out because of the possibility of static and/or possibility of carrying current which could spark from a short circuit in the light.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I remember skimming through an urban survival book from Barnes & Nobles one time and the author suggested to keep a polymer flashlight in your bug out bag. His reason for polymer flashlight is to prevent the potential spark that could be dangerous when you're trying to navigate out of a gaseous building. I never gave much thought about it, but I know Streamlight and Pelican makes approved flashlights for firefighters. I'm curious, how likely does a flashlight generate sparks, and why would it generate spark? Does anybody know?

painless

Newly Enlightened
True bitslammer, potential for arc across the individual flashlight assembly components, as well as a potential bridge/conductor through contact or close proximity to high voltage terminal points on equipment being inspected or worked on.

Man, this is starting look downrite depressing, oh well.

Last edited: