Beam Shots Please: L0D W/10440, NDI W/14500, LF5XT W/14500

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, I just got my 10440's and 14500's today from AW, dropped them into my L0D to compare it to a normal Alkaline, and low and behold, it is waaay brighter .... in fact, it might be brighter than my Novatac 120p! Ok, tested the NDI next with a 14500 compared to an Alk, definitely brighter ... then I compared the NDI w/14500, L0D w/10440 and my Novatac 120p together.... guess what? The NDI was brightest, and has a very nice beam..... the L0D has an ok beam but no where near the quality of the NDI or Novatac (ok, this is turning into a review!) .... Then I compared the lowest modes on the NDI and L0D (still with the Lions), the NDI was dimmer than the L0D (and of course the 120p's low mode was considerably lower than the others..... it's a Novatac, you know? (but my HDS U60GT gets even dimmer!)) .... I have a pair of Liteflux LF5XT's on order.... wondering if someone could PLEASE put up a pic of the L0D, NDI and LF5XT all on high, then all on low while using Lions..... Thanks!

Doug

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD-CE Q4 on a 10440 should put out more lumens than the NDI, Novatac 120p, LF5XT, etc. It's driving the Q4 at around 1.2A or better on a fresh 10440, which those other lights can't touch.

The NDI may look brighter because it throws better. Try a ceiling bounce (shine each light on it's brightest setting at a white or light colored ceiling, then compare how much each light lights up things on the floor.) test.

Doug

Enlightened
To be clear, it is a L0D-CE Q4.... my test was about 3ft from a wall ... the center spot from the NDI was bigger .... and the quality of the beam was must nicer, even, smooth, whiter, the L0D was definably warm, which I hear is how the Q4's tend to be, compared to the Q5 in the NDI ... ok, I did not try a fresh off the charger bat 10440 .. let me try that also....

Edit: Ok, just tried a 10440 fully charged.... the L0D is not as bright as the NDI...

Doug

The LOD-CE Q4 on a 10440 should put out more lumens than the NDI, Novatac 120p, LF5XT, etc. It's driving the Q4 at around 1.2A or better on a fresh 10440, which those other lights can't touch.

The NDI may look brighter because it throws better. Try a ceiling bounce (shine each light on it's brightest setting at a white or light colored ceiling, then compare how much each light lights up things on the floor.) test.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Ok, just tried a 10440 fully charged.... the L0D is not as bright as the NDI..
Doug

Sounds like you got a bum LOD, or a way over achieving NDI. :)

The LOD's hot spot should be larger than the NDI's as well.

Also you are cycling the LOD to the 3rd mode for TURBO right?

Here is a beam shot of my NDI on max with a 14500, on the left, and my LOD-CE Q4 on the right with a 10440 on Turbo:

Last edited:

Doug

Enlightened
Wow, that is the exact opposite of mine... my L0D is warmer, with a smaller spot, and my NDI is cooler with a larger spot.... Odd.... maybe I do have a bum L0D!

You've shown me yours, let me show you mine (wait, why does that sound wrong?):

NDI-L0D.JPG

NDI on LEFT L0D on RIGHT both with Lion's

NDI S/N:ZNCDIBUS 01198
L0D S/N:US23541

Doug

Sounds like you got a bum LOD, or a way over achieving NDI. :)

The LOD's hot spot should be larger than the NDI's as well.

Also you are cycling the LOD to the 3rd mode for TURBO right?

Here is a beam shot of my NDI on max with a 14500, on the left, and my LOD-CE Q4 on the right with a 10440 on Turbo:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you making these comparisions from just the beam shots? In those beam shots it looks like the NDI is on the right based on the size of the hot spot and the rings. Looks like the NDI beam pattern. You sure you didn't confuse your beam shots? :)

The LOD shouldn't have a smaller hot spot than the NDI.

Doug

Enlightened
Just checked again..... L0D on right (the color is definitely warmer) .... Want to trade L0D's :)?

Doug

Are you making these comparisions from just the beam shots? In those beam shots it looks like the NDI is on the right based on the size of the hot spot and the rings. Looks like the NDI beam pattern. You sure you didn't confuse your beam shots? :)

The LOD shouldn't have a smaller hot spot than the NDI.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you have NDIs from different batches and with different Crees (made in China or in
America)?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from Doug's beam shots, I don't see how they can be what they say. The one he is saying is the LOD looks like the typical NDI beam, and the one he says is the NDI looks like a typical LOD beam.

The beams look criss-crossed, like he's holding the LOD on the right, but the beam is on the left side of the picture, and the NDI is on the left, but the beam is on the right side of the picture.

Also it doesn't make sense that the NDI would be brighter than a LOD Q4 on a 10440. Everything about the beam shots doesn't match up to the lights claimed to be producing them. :)

Doug

Enlightened
The criss crossnature of the beams, is because I was holding the two lights with 1 hand, and take he pic with the other :)! Ok... I guess I should go take a pic again, eh?

Edit: Here it is:

L0D.jpg

Just from Doug's beam shots, I don't see how they can be what they say. The one he is saying is the LOD looks like the typical NDI beam, and the one he says is the NDI looks like a typical LOD beam.

The beams look criss-crossed, like he's holding the LOD on the right, but the beam is on the left side of the picture, and the NDI is on the left, but the beam is on the right side of the picture.

Also it doesn't make sense that the NDI would be brighter than a LOD Q4 on a 10440. Everything about the beam shots doesn't match up to the lights claimed to be producing them. :)

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That pic is over the 800 pixel limit, might want to fix that. :)

It's so large I'm having trouble taking a look. That is the LOD?

Doug

Enlightened
OK.... A new pic of the 2 lights, this time with the lights in the shot so you know I am telling the truth :)

NDI-L0D.jpg

Doug

Enlightened
I used the lowest resolution on my DSLR :( sigh... would have to figure how to resize on the Mac ...hmmm...

That pic is over the 800 pixel limit, might want to fix that. :)

It's so large I'm having trouble taking a look. That is the LOD?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could host them on Picasa which can give you links to size them down to 400 pixels wide, or 800 pixels wide, etc.

Now that's a good shot. Wow. :) I am surprised. Now, you are cycling to the 3rd mode on the LOD-CE for TURBO right? I don't think you answered that yet. :) If you just turn it on it will be on HIGH, you have to go to TURBO for it to direct drive off the 10440.

Doug

Enlightened
I thought I did answer this :) .... You turn it once, you are on medium, you turn it again, its on low, then 1 more time, and it's on high (Turbo sounds dumb to me :)) .... the next mode it strobe, then SOS....

Nice shot :)? Not sure what you mean, but I will take the compliment any ways.... It's allot easier to take a good shot with a DSLR, than a little P&S....

You could host them on Picasa which can give you links to size them down to 400 pixels wide, or 800 pixels wide, etc.

Now that's a good shot. Wow. :) I am surprised. Now, you are cycling to the 3rd mode on the LOD-CE for TURBO right? I don't think you answered that yet. :) If you just turn it on it will be on HIGH, you have to go to TURBO for it to direct drive off the 10440.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Maybe you should pick up another LOD Q4. :) What voltage is coming off your 10440's? Are they AW 10440's?

Doug

Enlightened
Yeah, I was thinking about picking up, like, 4 more L0D's .... Do not know the voltage, as my only DMM has too low of a battery in it... I guess I should visit Harbor Frieght, there is one on the way to work ;) ..... the Battery was fresh off the charger .... and it is an AW....

Interesting. Maybe you should pick up another LOD Q4. :) What voltage is coming off your 10440's? Are they AW 10440's?