How is the Smith & Wesson rechargeable from Big 5?

pilot4x4

Enlightened
A while back I got a raincheck from Big 5 for a Smight and Wesson Rechargeable light, I believe it's a FL7. They called and said they came in. I'm just trying to find out more about them before I decide to buy. The only specs I can find are for the FL10. Does anyone have specs and or personal experience with the FL7? What type of battery does it have? How much light does it put out say compared to a 3D or 4D mag? John

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these a month or so ago and am happy with it. It's a good $39.95 flashlight, feels very solidly built, and the beam, although more yellow than I like, is bright and very tight. It has a NiMH battery, the body of the flashlight IS the battery pack, you get a new body when you change batteries. I've had no luck finding specs or parts. When I bought mine, Big 5 did not have bulbs "yet". I'll have to go back and see if they got any with the new stock.
Have fun with it! --Bob

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL7 at Big 5 is 3.7 V. For the same $39.95 you can buy the 6 V SL10 version. Based on the relative run times and CP claims (25,000 vs 40,000) I think the "7" and "10" reflect the wattage of the the LA's. This place on EBAY sells both lights and parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20760&item=2316750645

Extra LA.s for each light cost about $9. For about $13 you can get a LA plus head. For about $14 you can get extra bodies. I Bought one complete light, 3 extra heads, 3 extra bodies, and 1 extra LA. I'm considering modding the head to accept a BadBoy 700 and a 5W LS.

paulr

Flashaholic
Do you seriously think the FL10 is a 10 watt bulb? That's equivalent to an Ultrastinger which claims much more CP. At 6 volts, the claimed 2:15 run time would mean a 3.7 AH battery pack which I think means full sized C cells rather than the more common sub-C. Does it appear to be a C pack? Any idea how the light compares to a Magcharger or Ultrastinger? It does look like a heck of a bargain.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FL10 has 5@ Sub C NiMHs at 6.0 V. That would be about 1.67 A current. Two hours would require 3.3 Ah batteries, the current state of the art for sub C NiMHs. As the design is about 5 years old, the capacity probably is in the 2.4 Ah to 2.6 Ah range. I don't know if the run time is exaggerated or whether the actual wattage is lower.