Mod Kits for Maglite 2D

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Everled site I can see that you can get about 26 hours of good light on 2 D-cells before it drops off. I was wondering:
1. In lumens, how is the overall brightness?
2. I see it's a side-emitter, so how is the beam quality with the stock reflector. Any need to upgrade the reflector or to use optics for a "no hole" beam?
3. For your $40, what would you rather have, Epion or Everled?

Thanks,
Jason
*edit* I forgot to mention I'll put it in a 2-D mag.
I'm reading through the everled thread in the the LED forum....*phew*

inverno

Newly Enlightened
3D, perhaps Epieon, sounds like the HD luxeons work better in a Mag. 2D, the Epieon would be pretty dim so I'd go with an EverLED...though it looks like you might have to wait a while to actually get one.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inretech drop-in modules are made for 3+ D cell Mags. You could run them in 2 D, but the decrease in brilliance probably wouldn't be tolerable. Well, the Trilight in a 2 D cell light would have to be brighter than an EverLED, wouldn't it? (3) 1 watt luxeons running at 2/3 of spec'ed voltage.

The Super6 will work in a C cell Mag, mine is in a 4 C cell Mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if you're intersted in the 2D form factor AND the Trilight, just do a (simple) conversion to 3C. A little PVC pipe, a hacksaw and some elbow grease and sandpaper and voila, 4.5v in a 2D M*g.

In my opinion it's a waste to have all that space in the M*g's tailcap if you no longer need to carry spares...

To answer the original question, I'd opt for an Everled with a HD emitter instead of an SE - IF they ever decide to make them. Others have said that HD's outperform SE's in the D & C M*g reflectors.

Jon

tech

Newly Enlightened
So, for my 3D mag, there are at least three options mentioned above:

EverLED
InreTech - Probably the best, but too expensive for me.
Epieon

So, what is the CPF general consensus on which is best between the Epieon and the EverLED?

T.

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
The Everled will maintain near full brightness untill the batteries are dead, and the Epieon will dim as the voltage decreases on the cells.

[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
So, for my 3D mag, there are at least three options mentioned above:

EverLED
InreTech - Probably the best, but too expensive for me.
Epieon

So, what is the CPF general consensus on which is best between the Epieon and the EverLED?

T.

[/ QUOTE ]