Drop-ins for Novatac 120?

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Are there any drop-ins available for the Novatac 120?

I'm looking for better runtimes.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac 120 does not take drop-ins. The best you can do is modify it by replacing the emitter to give you more output, or different beam pattern. People like Milkyspit do this, and some people are capable of doing the mods themselves. As for better run time....if you have the 120P, you have infinite variable output and can control the run time yourself. The other 120's can also be used at lower outputs to extend the run time.

dixemon

Enlightened
More efficient emitters are being produced every year. Keep an eye out for the latest and greatest. I dont know what bin seoul I have in my 120p, but I believe Ill be switching to a U bin in the near future.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best Seoul LED that is currently available is the U2. It is a slight improvement over the U-bin. You may, or may not see an improvement in output if you swap emitters, as the variations in LED's are pretty wide. A good U-bin will be very close to a minimum performing U2-bin.

By early next year, we should be seeing the Seoul V-bin available. This LED will make a noticeable difference if you replace the stock emitter. Especially if you get one that is performing to the upper limits of the output range.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
More efficient emitters are being produced every year. Keep an eye out for the latest and greatest. I dont know what bin seoul I have in my 120p, but I believe Ill be switching to a U bin in the near future.

In what way will that change the light? Better output? Better runtime?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
In what way will that change the light? Better output? Better runtime?

Both. When an LED is more efficient, it converts current into light instead of heat. More brightness at a lower curent means that your new "medium high" may be as bright as your old "maximum high". Using a lower setting means longer run-times from the same capacity battery. Plus, you will have a higher high. :thumbsup:

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Both. When an LED is more efficient, it converts current into light instead of heat. More brightness at a lower curent means that your new "medium high" may be as bright as your old "maximum high". Using a lower setting means longer run-times from the same capacity battery. Plus, you will have a higher high. :thumbsup:

Sounds good! Do you know when it will be available and how much is would cost?

Is it hard to install it yourself?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The actual improvement won't be too much though. I'd wait for at least a 50% increase of efficiency before swapping LEDs.

Marduke

Flashaholic
LED swap would improve brightness, not runtime. The current is set, so only brightness would increase.

And no, it's not as easy as changing a lightbulb or swapping a P60 module.

scottaw

Enlightened
I'm hoping that eventually Novatac will offer a "drop in" of sorts, a whole new light engine with a new emitter that would let you keep the lowest lows, be brighter, or extnd runtime. Doubtful though, that's the brains of the light, they'll just make Novatac V2

Russki

Enlightened
I just put New U2 in P85. It is as bright now as original P120.
And yes, changing LED will improve runtime on HDS lights, which is beauty of it.
Just program it for lower level, and you will have more runtime.
Cheers. :wave:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just put New U2 in P85. It is as bright now as original P120.
And yes, changing LED will improve runtime on HDS lights, which is beauty of it.

Changing the LED doesn't improve runtime, changing the drive current does.

smopoim86

Enlightened
I swapped the led in my 120p to a u2 bin and it's barely noticeable. I would wait until a greater improvement in efficiency before making a warranty voiding decision.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Well sure...if you use lower levels it will run longer, but technically the run-time will only improve if the circuitry doesn't allow the additional output gained by the higher efficiency of new LEDs. When the LED is driven by the same current it will be brighter but usually run-time remains the same.

Russki

Enlightened
Changing the LED doesn't improve runtime, changing the drive current does.

Ok, what I meant is, when you change LED for brighter one, on HDS lights you can drop level down, and will supply less current to LED and have the same brightness.
For instance my U60 with U2 on one level before last one brighten then Twisty 120, and runs about 1hour.
:wave:
Guys, go ahead from theory to practice, you will know what I mean.
:)

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The beam characteristics of the 120P are about as nice, or nicer, than most any other factory light. If you aren't satisfied with it as is, flip it on B/S/T and get something better suited for your needs. For the time & effort needed to relamp the 120P, you can probably pick up a nice Ti light that you like.

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll jump on this one since it's relevant.

I just received a brand new replacement 120P from Novatac, and the tint looks a little more purple in comparison to the previous 120P and other seoul's I've owned. Their service has been great, so I really don't want to complain and send the light back for this small subjective quirk.

I'm thinking about swapping the emitter, but I want to make sure I replace it with something equal or better than what is currently in the light. Some questions:
* What type/bin does the Novatac 120P use?
* Is the U2 still the best drop-in? If so, where's the best place to purchase one? I can only find these at DX...

I'll try to post some beam shots later.

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
Are there any drop-ins available for the Novatac 120?

I'm looking for better runtimes.

Sig Sauer:
If you're looking for longer runtimes, you have another option. :party:
Link to photos. :wave:

For me, this is a good hand-carry option. I like the length and heft for my night walks. Also, while I don't like the way the clip feels or looks when attached to the 120P; it improves the feel and look of the otherwise plain-round-barrel extension tube. Theoretically, the 17670 should more than double the runtime of the 16340.

Last edited: