Thinking of modding a Mag - Couple of Questions

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about modding a Mag Lite, and I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help with.

1) Are the ROP and MAG85 similar in the fact that they replace the bulb, reflector, glass and power source? I know there can be more to it than that, I'm just looking at the basics at the moment.

2) I'd prefer to stick with the 2D form factor. Can both mods be done using a 2D, or would I need to step up to 3D for the Mag85?

3) How do these incan mods compare with a P7 LED mod?

Thanks very much,

Dave.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1) Beside the need voltage for both bulbs(different batteries) and one is a PR2 base and the other is a bi-pin(and needs an adaptor), they are pretty much the same.

2) The ROP is probably better but both should be doable with the 2D Mag.

3) They are brighter and throw should be better then the P7 mods.

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to modding Mags and have done a few P7 in various configurations, a 2D ROP, a 3D Mag85, and a 4D Mag623. The ROP was the easiest with chaning the reflector, changing the lense, replacing the bulb, and using a 6AA battery holder. The Mag85 a little more difficult with modding the switch to a Kiu bipin switch, using a 9AA battery holder, lense change and reflector change. The 623 requires a softstart switch, lense change, reflector change, custom battery pack (and charger). The P7 mods require a heatsink, thermal epoxy to glue the emitter, modification to the switch for + and - wires soldered to the emitter, no lense or reflector change needed. For a 2D P7, you can use 3 C cell to get the appropriate voltage.

I personally use my P7 mods the most due to it's long runtime and cooler running light. The 1185 is used the least. The 623 for "wow" factor and to start fires. The ROP if I want more natural color light with decent runtime for an incan.

If you want the breakdown on cost, PM me.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
If this is one of your first tries at this. Keep to the 2 D, get your ROP bulbs from Lighthound, then I am going out on a limb to really spoil you...mainly so you won't feel dissappointed in the build.

If you are going to really make this a hobby, then get serious and get a good battery charger that you can use a charging jack with, then get some of FiveMega's battery holders. I have the 6xAA for my ROP, and his 9xAA for my M@g85. I love the fact I now longer have to put extra wear and tear on my battery holders by taking them apart to recharge....I just plug a jack into the bottom of them and use my good "hobby charger" to charge them back up. If you really think you are going to use this light alot, please do consider a good hobby charger....best money I have spent in years!!

The other hint is (and I just played with my ROP to make sure), is get one of FiveMega's cammed reflectors to go with it. His sales thread will have the suggestion as to light, medium, or heavy orange peel to order. I have the light orange peel...LOP (I believe) and it is nice....and I can still focus nicely.

That is a good amount of money to shell out, but I promise you will not regret it, particularly as you get higher power mods going. My M@g85 is slightly brighter on the wall at 2 feet, but I forgot just how nice the regular ROP is. A very, very nice light for your first incan build.....and just a really nice flashlight to have no matter who you are.

Bob E.