Thoughts on a Linux mini-notebook PC? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
I really like the idea of a small very portable notebook that is cheap, runs some flavor of linux, has USB ports, built-in wi-fi, and a screen resolution of at least 1024x600, ideally more. Maybe a screen around 9" or so? Definitely not a desktop replacement. Just email, OpenOffice, Google Docs, blogging, surfing, etc. ;-)

Anyway, I've had my eye on the Dell if/when available, as well as the Eee PC. What else is out there? Might it make sense to buy a low-end 'regular' notebook and just install Ubuntu on it myself?

Anyone here using anything at all like this? Very interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

Misc. Links:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-revealed-10-inch-mini-notebook-to-hit-us-in-june
http://gizmodo.com/393815/exclusive-dell-mini-inspiron-their-first-mini-laptop
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm

paulr

Flashaholic
I have an 800x480 EEE and it's pretty handy, and inexpensive. The 9" version is nicer but costs as much as a real laptop so I wouldn't get it. If you want something bigger/more serious than the smaller EEE, I'd go for something like a Thinkpad X61 which is far more powerful than the big EEE without costing much more.

The Nokias are not really comparable--they're much smaller and less powerful (much slower cpu and limited ram--you can put 2GB of ram in an EEE), they don't have built in ethernet, they don't have a real USB host port (they have "USB to go" which can run a flash stick but that's about it), etc. I have a Nokia 770 (woot.com closeout) but never use it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long ago did you pick up your 770 paul? I tried to pick an 800 up off of dell. No go, they just canceled my order after the processing period.
Anyways, not to hijack, I saw one of your posts in the peak led section. I've been debating a pacific cr2 or a stainless baltic. I was wondering if you had any cr2lights. how do they compare in size. Please PM if possible.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
If you want a "real" computer, a budget desktop or notebook would be more economical. But if you're going for compact and portable the original EeePC is great. From news releases it looks like everyone is jumping into the market and more models are coming out everyday. I'm excited about Intel's Atom CPUs and the slightly bigger screens and keyboards, but not in a hurry to pay a new adopters premium again.

We have an original EeePC 4G. When I can steal it back from my teenaged daughter, (an IM, Facebook, & MySpace junkie,) I find it usable for simple things. One full-screen webpage, typing simple messages, etc. My big fingers don't completely agree with the keys and I dream of the day I get a 1900x1200 24" monitor, so I wouldn't use it for everything. But I love it's size when traveling or when I need a computer out in the garage at the phone box to reconfigure the router we've got out there!

I didn't like the support of the Xandros based factory OS. ASUS just didn't get the whole software support thing. However their simplified interface was actually nice. It made it an internet appliance. (My daughter thought it was fine.) I just got tired of waiting for security updates and the incredibly limited SW selection and installed an Ubuntu variant. It also works fine (and I'm getting prompt security patches and a smorgasbord of programs!) My daughter whined about the change, oh, for about five minutes until she found the equivalent apps in the new distribution. She's since even used it for school papers. Notice Ubuntu doesn't fully support the EeePC out of the box. (Some of the drivers haven't made it upstream yet.) I found http://www.eeeuser.com/ 's forums very helpful. I ended up installing eeeXubuntu, but it doesn't seem to be supported anymore. (E.g. one of the kernel releases broke some of the drivers, but I reran one of the script packs and was back in business. Not too bad, but more hassle than I have with my Ubuntu notebook.) Browse around, some of the distributions already have native support. I'm sure others will soon.

Good luck.

paulr

Flashaholic
The EEE has three USB ports and a VGA output so you can plug in an external keyboard and mouse and monitor and you have an instant desktop computer, even with an external hard drive if you want that.

There is now a Ubuntu fork just for the eee: http://ubuntu-eee.com

I got my 770 from woot maybe 6 months ago. I wouldn't suggest getting one today unless it's dirt cheap and you know exactly what you want it for. There are still some 800's floating around and you can find them on fleabay, craigs list etc. and they are much better. The 810 is better in most ways than the 800 (built in keyboard and gps) but it only has a microsd slot instead of two full sized sdhc slots, so the 800 is much better as a pocket sized media center. I also have a Sharp Zaurus 5000D from way back, and it's easy to find that series on fleabay.

meuge

Enlightened
Ubuntu is also coming out with an official distribution, specifically for small-format screens, optimized for the Atom CPUs.

Exciting times.

I, too, am very anxious to see the Dell offerings come out.