Strobe ability for SF G2?

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights (nightstand one at present) is my SF G2 Nitrolon light with the Q5 Cree drop-in. It's about identical with my P3D in output, beam, fill, flood, etc and lasts about the same time. However, unlike my 6 mode P3D that has a strobe feature, I was wondering if there's any easy to do mods or parts I can utilize on that G2 to make that light strobe?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
G&P A.I. tailcap, it is available at lighthound. and the lightsaver blitzer. both are metal, and might look a bit odd on the nitrolon body. That and I've heard that the G&P drains batteries. I'm not sure about the lightsaver. I've seen one post with the lightsaver complaining about this, but I haven't seen any others.

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
Cool, checking those out now. I'm not seeing where the G&P one is compatible for the G2 light? Am I missing something?

"Fits SureFire 6P / 9P / D2 / D3 / C2 BK / C3 BK / Z2 / Z3 / 6Z / 9Z / 3P - also fits HS models, but the finish does not match - C2 HA / C3 HA / M2 / M3 / M4"

And looking at the lightsaver strober, it says it's only for the incandescant..and then says again at the bottom..not for leds. But would it really matter? I don't know, maybe the Q5 Cree drop-in from DX might has circuitry that would counter that of this tailcap?

Blitzer Tail Cap Upgrade Specs:
Incandescent bulb flashlights Only
• Does not alter the water resistance or waterproof characteristics of the original light
• Replaces Tail Cap switches on various manufacturers' lights
• Microcircuit intelligent switch is intrinsically safe in hazardous atmospheres
• Waterproof construction
• Functions with 6 to 12 Volt lights ) 2, 3 and 4 cells
• Aircraft Aluminum Alloy
• Anodized Finish
• Not designed for continuous operation
• Made in South Africa for LE and Military forces.
• Colors: Black • HA Olive • Tan-(Surefire G2™ Only)
Not for use with LED lights

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they both say for incan only. I'm guessing their worried that they will be used with led lights with multimode drivers already installed. Which I guess would drive the light berserk, switching from high to med to low to sos and back again. I can put my 6pd tailcap on my g3 no problem, it looks a bit silly though. The nitrolon body is maybe a millimeter thicker or so than the aluminum. Threads are all the same though.

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
The 5-mode DX dropins have strobe.

Yeah, was thinking of getting one of those but they say it isn't as bright as the single mode version on high. I also noticed the R2 AFTER i got my Q5.

Also, just saw a demo video of the lightsaver and would loved one until they got to the actual strobe demo (it was a miser and strober in one)..and it's horribly slow of a strobe...should be called a signal light.

I'll keep looking. It's not critical..just would like that feature on more than one flashlight.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supposedly the lightsavers strobe is supposed to be in tactical range. Which apparently is the ideal frequency to cause disorientation in a subject.
You can read about it in "lights that strobe"
I'm not sure what you want the strobe for. But if it's for tactical effect then I guess theres only a few that operate in the optimal range.
It's something to think about though. The strobe lights seem mostly to be used by police to distract a suspect while another officer rushes in to restrain.
I'm not sure how useful it would be for a "defense" type situation unless you were rushing your "attacker":thinking:

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
Supposedly the lightsavers strobe is supposed to be in tactical range. Which apparently is the ideal frequency to cause disorientation in a subject.
You can read about it in "lights that strobe"
I'm not sure what you want the strobe for. But if it's for tactical effect then I guess theres only a few that operate in the optimal range.
It's something to think about though. The strobe lights seem mostly to be used by police to distract a suspect while another officer rushes in to restrain.
I'm not sure how useful it would be for a "defense" type situation unless you were rushing your "attacker":thinking:

Interesting...i had thought my Fenix P3D strobe was too slow citing someone somewhere on a 2A/gun forum saying it was the perfect speed. So this citation you're referencing says the slower strobe is the way to go. I will check that out..be nice to know what is the most debilitating. And yes, this is a nightstand light to use and possibly disorientate a wayward badguy in my home at night..since my TLR1 weapon light doesn't strobe and my P3D doesn't activate with my thumb (minor arthritis and big hands). The G2 would be ideal..

..and I just ordered the R2 5 mode drop-in from XD to see. For $12 it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work out logistically/ergonomically...and it'll be neat to see how the R2 performs compared to the Q5...even though the R2 i got is 5 mode and traditionally it seems the multi-mode "highs" are not as high as the single mode "highs."

Thanks for the tip and suggestions all!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supposedly the fenix is slower than the bitzer 8hz compared to 12hz (ideal) But then again what a manufacturer says and what they produce are often different.
As far as the r2 vs the q5 there probably wont be much noticeable difference. It depends more at how hard the led is driven at max.

It might be interesting to mod an old weapon light with flupic driver.
Not sure how practical it might be, depends on the switching mechanism. Plus if you've already got a gun it would probably be advantageous to maintain a good distance.

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
Supposedly the fenix is slower than the bitzer 8hz compared to 12hz (ideal) But then again what a manufacturer says and what they produce are often different.

Really? That blitzer looked like it was doing 3 or 4 per second..then again, maybe it was the filming (FPS) missing flashes.

I was reading up and googling frequencies of strobes and what disorients the best and 10-12hz seems good. I noticed also that my fenix is at 8hz. Not alot of people on gun boards talking about "tactical" lights know the frequency relation..they just assume, as I did, that any flashing is good to go. I'll have to enlighten them! lol