KL4 modified with 15 watt Ostar LED.

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, heres my all time favorite. A 15 watt 1000 lumen Ostar LED crammed into a KL4 head with a converter that has four levels of light. I had the 3 x CR123 barrels custom made with titanium clips. Enjoy.

ARC mania

ftkl5c.jpg

2vao8qs.jpg

256xp8o.jpg

2zzs134.jpg

2j4dgnc.jpg

5xke29.jpg

2uo2u6q.jpg

10f24h4.jpg

epq3j7.jpg

33w2ijo.jpg

Last edited:

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer all your questions, the 15 watt Ostar is from a QZ bin in brightness when driven at 700ma of current. Since there isn't enough aluminum mass to keep the Ostar happy, it is under-driven at 590ma in high. Still its cranking out over 700 to 800 lumens (an estimated guess from a McR20 size reflector.) Yes, it gets fairly hot after 6 - 7 minutes in constant use in high mode. Not so hot to where you can not hold it. This mod has four levels of light, low-60ma, medium-150ma, medium high-250ma and, high-590ma. Minimum input voltage is 7.4 volts and max is 14 volts. Its electronically reverse polarity protected so no worries changing batteries in the dark. To make the light even smaller, you can use an E2e barrel with 2 x RCR123's. Size for size, probably the smallest 15 watt Ostar powered light on this forum plus the size for light output ratio is incredible. Before I forget, the beam is more of a flood than a spot. Regardless, it is bright.

ARC mania

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hit me upside the head with a realitycheck....!!!

That is one awesome build....!!

Have any pics from the actual making....?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer all your questions, the 15 watt Ostar is from a QZ bin in brightness when driven at 700ma of current. Since there isn't enough aluminum mass to keep the Ostar happy, it is under-driven at 590ma in high. Still its cranking out over 600 to 700 lumens (an estimated guess) Yes, it gets fairly hot after 6 - 7 minutes in constant use in high mode. Not so hot to where you can not hold it. This mod has four levels of light, low-60ma, medium-150ma, medium high-250ma and, high-590ma. Minimum input voltage is 7.4 volts and max is 14 volts. Its electronically reverse polarity protected so no worries changing batteries in the dark. To make the light even smaller, you can use an E2e barrel with 2 x RCR123's. Size for size, probably the smallest 15 watt Ostar powered light on this forum plus the size for light output ratio is incredible. Before I forget, the beam is more of a flood than a spot. Regardless, it is bright.

ARC mania

Thanks. You gonna sell any of these?

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
These mods are extremely difficult due to lots of detailed work. The inside of the head requires machining and I've destroyed several heads along with Ostar LED's in the process. I will make a couple more in the near future when I finish a few outstanding projects. I have no idea on pricing yet but will post in the near future.

ARC mania

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mecry:

Me wanted one...

Any price on these.....?
Thanks for the info BTW....:cool:

Well, if ArcMania said he might be making a few more just as recently as late July, maybe there is hope, but I know that he has mentioned that they are REALLY a PITA to build.

Price was $800, if I remember correctly.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if ArcMania said he might be making a few more just as recently as late July, maybe there is hope, but I know that he has mentioned that they are REALLY a PITA to build.

Price was $800, if I remember correctly.

OK.....!

Thanks..!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Just noticed this thread and have to say this is simply amazing.....game over as this has to be one of the brightest customs I have seen. Amazing work and clen as usual.