Novatac 85P - sort of like an old friend, and yet...

Gatsby

Enlightened
it is subtlely different!

I finally ended up getting a Novatac 85P after much thought about an EDC and giving up on a AA form factor that works as well for me as this design/UI does. I had an Arc4+ and an HDS B42 so the UI is familiar and, well, sort of gave me that "ahhh" feeling when I took it out of the box. Like an old friend it fits well in my hand and I knew how to use it out of the box --- or so I thought!

Other than being a fair amount brighter than my Arc or HDS lights - there certainly are some subtle differences - some improvements and some not as key it seems. I don't see an appreciable difference in the fit and finish from my HDS, maybe the HAIII is a tad less thick, maybe not. Everything else feels as solid. I like the stainless bezel ring since that is the only injury I ever inflicted on my HDS. The beam is as pure and useful as the HDS, maybe even a tad better due to the P4 and LOP reflector, but these lights have always had about the most useful beam pattern around for me at least. The UI is much the same but the small tweaks, like the programming, seem to be in the right direction (and it sure is easier than 250 clicks! ;) ). Oddly, I like the clip design since I rarely used the clip on either the Arc4 or the HDS, the Novatac is cleaner without the holes. That is a matter of taste obviously.

About the only thing I don't like as well is the milled sections on the sides for the name and serial number. I preferred the complete knurling on the HDS or the smooth Arc4.

As for looks, well, the Arc4 was a better looking light to my eye - a beautiful light if there is such a thing - and the Novatac is as utilitarian ugly as the HDS lights - but it works a good deal better than my Arc4+!

All told it remains a remarkably utilitarian design and very well thought out. I look forward to seeing what Henry can add to the equation with the new Ra clickie - but for now, even though it is fatter than it needs to be... the Novatac appears to have taken over the EDC slot. In the quest for something newer and better, sometimes the best solution was one we already had (and in my case foolishly sold - should have had Milky just mod my B42!)...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, even though I vowed to stick with AA lights, I'm going to have to check out a Novatac someday. Too many user raves about these lights to ignore...

Thankfully my NiteCore PD (AA D10) fill the void for EDC so nicely right now.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Man, even though I vowed to stick with AA lights, I'm going to have to check out a Novatac someday. Too many user raves about these lights to ignore...

The NovaTac are nice lights, but the have one problem, they are very fat compared to other CR123 lights.
And the standby current is very low, your can safely store them for years without draining the batteries.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NovaTac are nice lights, but the have one problem, they are very fat compared to other CR123 lights.
And the standby current is very low, your can safely store them for years without draining the batteries.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to look forward to seeing one in person at a CPF gathering. Most lights are so hard to see in person, that when you live vicariously through other people's reviews you can't help but crave them as well. :p

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm going to look forward to seeing one in person at a CPF gathering. Most lights are so hard to see in person, that when you live vicariously through other people's reviews you can't help but crave them as well. :p

No CPF gatherings around here, I have purchased a lot of light instead.:whistle:

Gatsby

Enlightened
No question the only issue I have with the HDS/Novatac lights is the size - they aren't big really, and smaller than the comparable Surefire, but definitely fatter than a lot of CR123 cell lights. I'd really been gravitating to the CR2/AA/14500 form factor but just can't find a light that is as useful as the HDS/Novatac series. I'll put up with the form factor for the performance - for now at least... And the features, build quality and the beam, oh the beam, it really is a great tool

It's easy to get used to tiny - I have a Jil JCR2 that is silly small and screaming bright (it has a P4 mod) but it oddly is almost too small - you can't run it long wide open as it gets hot, and operation is tough to do one handed since there is not much to hold on to. The Novatac design does have some value in terms of different holds without being as ugly as the Liteflux LF5XT :p

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to admit, that to my eye the ARC 4+ is as pretty a light as I've seen. Simply a nicely proportioned light.

I'll also say that at first I was a bit disappointed with those 2 flat spots on the sides of the NovaTac. However, after having my 120P for a year now, I've found that those 2 flat spots do aid in gripping the light..... a handy thing indeed.

It's funny too.... even though I have the 120P, I keep finding myself setting the max. level lower and lower. 60 lumens seems about right for most of my bright light uses.

What appealed to me when first considering purchasing the 120P was the versatility of the being able to setup the UI however I wanted... and that is still what I consider to be this light's biggest asset, although it's incredibly well balanced beam is a close second.

All-in-all...... one of my best light purchases since finding CPF. I hope you enjoy your new light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Must admit, my 120P is a bit on the "chubby" side.... But that just means there's more of it to love. :)

(And the well-made, thinner profile pocket-clip helps a lot for EDC).

Buffalohump

Enlightened
The 85P is my most recent light purchase as well.... so far its been great.

Personally, I have no problem sacrificing a small amount of output for better runtime.

Considering you can get one for considerably less than the 120P, its really a superb all-round package for the moola.

As far as the size goes, its chunky but not a brick. I've got a solid brass Peak one CR123 as well. Now that's a brick!