Looking for a keychain light

harstad

Newly Enlightened
I would like to get a light for my wife. It needs to be small. I would like to fit on her keychain or small enough to be in her purse, but ideally on her keychain. I've been looking at the fenix p1D-CE and some of the others. I like the single AAA or AA or CR123 batteries.

Any one have any thoughts on the Fenix's or anything else.

Requirements:

Small
Only 1 AAA, AA, or CR123.
Multimodes low and high
Must be able to be attached to a keychain.

Thank you.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Welcome harstad! :welcome:

The Fenix P1D-CE Q5 is an awsome light! I have one and it's one of my favorite pocket lights. My son carries one on his keychain and loves it. Mine usually is just in my pocket with a small lanyard attached but certainly works as a keychain light. It is on the large side as keychain lights go in my opinion but I don't like a lot of bulk in my pockets. In your wife's purse, it probably wouldn't be an issue. It's extremely versatile and very bright on high and has a nice low as well!

The Fenix LoD-CE is another nice light. It runs off one AAA battery so it doesn't have nearly the power of the P1D but is somewhat lighter in the pocket (or purse).

There are higher end lights if you'd like to spend a little more like the BitZ, Aeon, etc, but you're looking at three times the money of the other two.

harstad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks both of you. I have been reading CPF for a year or so, but havent posted before.

I saw the LoD Q4 but could not tell if it had hole to attach it to a keychain. I definitely think she will want smaller over brighter. I might get her that and by myself a P2D-CE.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, the LOD comes with a hole and slot to attach the included split ring, and even allows tailstanding.

1210665676_05746.jpg

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD is very bright for such a small flashlight and goes unnoticed on a keychain. The P1D is brighter but a bit bigger.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'll offer a slightly contrary view - the Liteflux LF2. Mostly because for the same size you can program the levels to your liking including a very low low level, and it accomodates li-ion rechargeables should you care to use them. Not to mention the really nice floody beam is, for me at least, great for key ring use!

harstad

Newly Enlightened
I'll offer a slightly contrary view - the Liteflux LF2. Mostly because for the same size you can program the levels to your liking including a very low low level, and it accomodates li-ion rechargeables should you care to use them. Not to mention the really nice floody beam is, for me at least, great for key ring use!

Looks ok. How bright is it? How low does it go?

Gatsby

Enlightened
Looks ok. How bright is it? How low does it go?

It is not a AAA screamer although on li-ions it would be a good bit brighter than on the lithium cells I use, I think the Jet-u and maybe a Lumapower could be brighter. In my unscientific test on low it is a bit lower than my Novatac 85P on factory default low, and about equal to my Novatac 85P on factory default secondary. Very different beam shape of course and would be brighter on Li-Ions as my LF5 is a good bit brighter on a 14500 than a lithium AA.

But it is an excellent and flexible key ring light with the lowest low that I'm aware of and enough brightness to make it useful.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
best keychain light??

Im looking for a really good keychain light. Right now im looking at either the fenix EO1, fenix LOD Q4, or maybe a photon micro. anyone have any of these or got any suggestions?? i want to keep it down to small lights (AAA or smaller) b/c it will be on my keychain. any help would be appreciated

john46268

Newly Enlightened
Re: best keychain light??

+1 on the Fenix L0D - Q5... can't go wrong. I love mine. Very well made and reliable. A bit pricey, but worth every cent. Low/Med/Hi give you 3 lights in one. You can go for brightness, or run time.

Happy Lighting! :wave:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened

definitely one of the fenix's, but just do a forum search for more info, there are like 200 threads concerning keychain lights.

drmaxx

Enlightened

Im looking for a really good keychain light. Right now im looking at either the fenix EO1, fenix LOD Q4, or maybe a photon micro. anyone have any of these or got any suggestions?? i want to keep it down to small lights (AAA or smaller) b/c it will be on my keychain. any help would be appreciated

:welcome:
There are many threads on keychain lights. Try a search - you'll get quite some information and experience from other cpf members.
All three suggested lights are excellent. It boils down to your personal preference: long runtime (E01), very bright (L0P) or low weight/small size (photon). Pick and be happy:wave:

Last edited:

Glowjob

Newly Enlightened

I love SKu3279 from DX. For a single cr123 light, its pretty compact and getting it with a set of batteries and charger wil set you back a mere $25 bucks. The downside is that you'll need 3.6 v rechargables since the 3.0v versions seem quite dim in comparison. It also gets hot after 5 minutes of use so don't expect to use it for more than blinding your friends or finding that keyhole in the middle of the night. If having a little sausage sized light on your keys is too much for your pockets, then go with a photon.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

You want the best keychain EDC? The Aeon is one of the very best.