Very bright (well over 200 lumens) cheap LED lights?

Gator762

Enlightened
I would like something really bright for just around the house, but not too expensive. More for novelty of lighting up the backyard from time to time (big and wooded). Runtime really isn't a big deal.

I noticed BessieBenny has a big flashlight review with some of the cheap DealExtreme lights. Looking at DealExtreme, I saw some claiming 900 lumens... That's what I'm talking about. :D

Even if they achieved half of that, that's still 450 lumens. I know there are some great modders here, but it is simply way out of my budget.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap and 200+ lumens? Try to get one of those chinese sscP7 lights. They have some issues but I don't think I've heard of one putting out less than 300 lumens.

Gator762

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far guys! The HID is a little steep at near $200.

Elecktrolumens mod looks pretty good, but gotta really think about that much cash too.

GBH2

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Aurora PK7-2 (DX SKU 14069) it is really an awesome little light. It actually has 2 modes: Hi - off - low - off. It gets hot on high but seems bearable - but I haven't let it run for more than 5 minutes.

It is certainly not a super thrower but it has a good balance of flood and throw.

It is amazingly bright. It pulls 2.3A from Trustfire 2400mAh gray cells.

It is out of stock now but I would recommend it. You could also search for reviews of the dx aurora pk7 and MTE p7 here on cpf.

sscp7whitebgnd009cw600lsd6.jpg

2sscp7halfmeter003w600js4.jpg

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I own both the aforementioned TerraLUX TLE-300 and JetBeam Jet II IBS, and highly recommend them both.

The JetBeam Jet II IBS has an unbeatable interface; infinitely variable brightness with three memory settings that you can set to be any level or strobe/SOS, and at its highest output does a long-throw 225 lumens on primaries and 250 lumens on RCRs. This is by a large margin the most versatile flashlight I've ever seen, being under four inches and able to light objects 50+ yards away, yet has a runtime of roughly three days on its lowest output level, all on just one battery!

The TerraLUX TLE-300 turns any 4-6 D cell Mag into a 600 lumen monster, with no technical skills or experience necessary. It's a simple drop-in; just remove the stock Mag bulb and reflector, drop in the TLE-300, done. I mainly use my TLE-300 Mag on night walks down our suburb street to the area mailbox. Any time a car drives by going the same direction, it's a perfect side-by-side comparison of light output, and you can't miss it - the Mag is putting out just as much light as the car (the cars don't miss it either, as they usually slow down). It's still impressive every time I see it.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I own both the aforementioned TerraLUX TLE-300 and JetBeam Jet II IBS, and highly recommend them both.

The JetBeam Jet II IBS has an unbeatable interface; infinitely variable brightness with three memory settings that you can set to be any level or strobe/SOS, and at its highest output does a long-throw 225 lumens on primaries and 250 lumens on RCRs. This is by a large margin the most versatile flashlight I've ever seen, being under four inches and able to light objects 50+ yards away, yet has a runtime of roughly three days on its lowest output level, all on just one battery!

The TerraLUX TLE-300 turns any 4-6 D cell Mag into a 600 lumen monster, with no technical skills or experience necessary. It's a simple drop-in; just remove the stock Mag bulb and reflector, drop in the TLE-300, done. I mainly use my TLE-300 Mag on night walks down our suburb street to the area mailbox. Any time a car drives by going the same direction, it's a perfect side-by-side comparison of light output, and you can't miss it - the Mag is putting out just as much light as the car (the cars don't miss it either, as they usually slow down). It's still impressive every time I see it.
Terralux does not quote 600 lumens but, i believe it is Lighthound, does. Any change in construction? What do you think of the D cell LiIons?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Terralux does not quote 600 lumens but, i believe it is Lighthound, does. Any change in construction? What do you think of the D cell LiIons?

The TLE-300 accepts between 6-12 volts (based on user posts, not manufacturer claims), and its brightness varies accordingly; some creative power sourcing can make your TerraLUX brighter than others'. I use a 2D host and a pair of 1D/3AA battery adapters - I started out using Uniross Hybrio LSD NiMHs, so I'd have rechargeability and long shelf life. I've since run across a great deal on Enigizer Lithiums and have been using those, and there is a notable increase in brightness (9V for the Lithiums compared to the NiMH's 7.2). I've also switched to a UCL lens, which makes a small difference, but at $7, its at a small price.

I haven't tried LiIon cells, but I prefer as bright a light in as small a package as possible. It's hard to beat the simplicity and price of a basic 1D/3AA adapter which can provide up to 4.5 volts in a the space of a single D cell.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at DealExtreme, I saw some claiming 900 lumens... That's what I'm talking about. :D
Even if they achieved half of that, that's still 450 lumens.
Go ahead and get one of them. They tend to get hot when run on high for extended periods, so get a multimode. Run on medium and switch to high on burst mode when needed.
They seem to be reasonably reliable. I have only seen one post of a dead SSC-P7 light from China/Hong Kong.

I have links to many of the discussion/review threads here.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180867
I have not updated the thread recently so not fully up to date but still a good starting point to find out more about them.