Will you go blind??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
After a recent trip to a tourist cave attraction I had a chance to experience total darkness. It was indeed totally dark in the bottom of this cave and the tour guide gave a few facts of "total darkness"

One of these stated facts was that scientist have shown after 4 weeks in total darkness a person will go totally blind. I tried searching this on the internet and did not see very much on this.

So can anyone say if this is a true statement? If one does go blind after living in darkness for several weeks is it reversible and if true how does this happen? Does ones eyes simply forget how to see or does darkness somehow damage the receptors?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how this could be possible.

You may well go insane, but I don't see how staying in the dark could physically alter your eyes.

Robocop

This was my idea as well however the guide assured me this was the case. I asked how this did not happen to people who had eye surgery and had bandages covering their eyes for many weeks....they can see after the bandages are removed.

The answer I got was in that case it was not total darkness. There is some ambient stimulation even if it is just 5 percent of light making it through the bandages. The guide said it had to be complete and total darkness such as a cave underground with zero light at all.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm willing to bet there are cases of this out there. Probably from extended confinement of "threats" to despotic leaders. Try searching Ceaucsescu and other "politicians" of his kind. I'm not sure any cases are going to support this theory though. Seems kinda odd.:shrug: I guess hes going along the lines of atrophy, but I'm not sure the eyes work like that. I think the best option would be to ask an optometrist.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Although I couldn't find info one way or the other, I tend to think this is one of those urban myths. There were people who were blind from birth and able to see fine with eye transplants. That evidently means the optic nerves and the part of the brain associated with seeing didn't degenerate from extended lack of stimulation. The eyes are the only remaining part of the equation. If not stimulated by light for a month, will the receptors in the eye no longer be able to function? I honestly don't know. If so, then an eye transplant would solve the problem.

Caves or the depths of oceans are the only naturally dark environments on Earth. Neither are really suited to long term human habitation anyway, so I doubt prolonged exposure to darkness would ever be an issue.

Robocop

I was really facinated by the total darkness as I had no idea as to what "true" lack of all light was like. I have been in what I thought was total darkness however even so it was nothing like the bottom of this cave.

Maybe the factor involved with this would be zero light at all....no stimulation of any form to the eyes.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I was really facinated by the total darkness as I had no idea as to what "true" lack of all light was like.

Isn't total darkness possible to find in more common places like cold storages, windowless rooms in night time etc? Or is there indeed something "special darkness" in caves?:candle:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have good window shutters (not the crappy old ones that always seem to leave a segment up...) it shouldn't really be hard to get total darkness. If no light is coming in from the outside, the inside of a closed room should be just as dark as a cave.

I *think* when you're in a cave you are mentally influenced by the setting, and so the darkness seems even darker to you.
Mind you, I've never been to a dark cave so I'm just guessing & may be completely wrong.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have good window shutters (not the crappy old ones that always seem to leave a segment up...) it shouldn't really be hard to get total darkness. If no light is coming in from the outside, the inside of a closed room should be just as dark as a cave.

I *think* when you're in a cave you are mentally influenced by the setting, and so the darkness seems even darker to you.
Mind you, I've never been to a dark cave so I'm just guessing & may be completely wrong.

I think it seems darker if you don't know where the walls are or how big the room is.

Lane

Newly Enlightened
After a recent trip to a tourist cave attraction I had a chance to experience total darkness. It was indeed totally dark in the bottom of this cave and the tour guide gave a few facts of "total darkness"

DeSoto Caverns?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
the darkness of a cave is really different from being in a closed cold storage unit. There are always ventilation shafts and things in our normal environ.

The darkest I've seen it in a man made structure was a bathroom in a San Francisco skyscraper during a power outage. There were a dozen doors and passage ways between me and the nearest window. None of the "emergency lights" came on. And, of course, the steel partition just feet away from my eyes to further reduce the chance of a stray photon making it that far.

We stopped at the "Grand Canyon Caverns" when I was a kid, and the tour guide did the "No lights" trick too. The radium dial on my watch was the only thing in sight.

Loved it.

As for the "will go blind"... I don;t think so. I read of cases where "blind" frogs that were born in caves, matured in caves who were able to regain sight after being brought to the surface.

Daniel

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:

When I first saw the thread title this morning, my first thought was "that thread won't last long" :devil:

I think it was last week or the week before, a thunderstorm had rolled in around 3 AM, so I had to get up to shut down the computers and close the windows. Figured since I was up, may as well go to the bathroom. While I was in the bathroom, the power went out....total 100% darkness and no flashlight in the bathroom (there is now :grin2:). Very disorienting to say the least.

If you spent a long time in the dark your eye muscles might atrophy from lack of use but I don't think you'd go blind.

Illum

Flashaholic
4 weeks, not likely but it will take you a prolonged time to readjust to light.
I think the guide mislead you into thinking that, it could also hold true that, since your pupils are dilated to their fullest extent, any medium of light, when concentrated to a given radius [like a flashlight:crackup:] is shined upon your eyes the amount of light that penetrates into the optical nerve could potentially fry your optical nerve, thereby blinding you.

Some concept as a webcam thats stripped to a bare CCD in the open air, and someone strobed it with a dedicated flashbulb...

For the human body to "de-evolution" to where the eyes are incapabable of sensing light...I lay my bets on at least 40 years...not 4 weeks.