How long is safe for P2D, L1D, L2D on turbo?

brucec

Enlightened
Hi All,
Sorry if this has been covered before. The Fenix P2D, L1D, L2D Q5 versions all say no longer than 10min or so on turbo. Yet I see runtime charts that show fairly good regulation for about 1hr on turbo. Are these lights safe to run >10min on turbo? Are the charts cooled? If so, does holding the light in your hand count as cooling? Thanks for any clarifications.

Bruce

Helmut.G

Enlightened
The Fenix P2D, L1D, L2D Q5 versions all say no longer than 10min or so on turbo.
Actually, they all say no longer than 10 min under high ambient temperatures
I have run my P3D on turbo accidentally in my pocket for much longer than 10 minutes, and the light got really hot, but didn't fail.
Others have reported similar incidents whereas I've never heard of any fenix light failing due to heat.
and yes, your hand holding the light will cool it
So don't worry using turbo as long as you want to, but keep in mind that with high you get almost similar brightness but much longer runtime

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As long as you aren't running the light by itself in the middle of the desert midday or in a well insulated area like a coat pocket they should be fine operating in turbo.

Holding them or keeping the light in a cup of water would help keep them cool.

kurni

Enlightened
It also depends on your battery; I have no idea what will happen if you use 1 LiIon, but primaries or LiFePO4 should be OK until the battery dries; I always use turbo; often tailstand. P2D hasn't failed me yet.

brucec

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the answers. It's nice to know that I can use turbo for long periods of time in real world situations and not just in a glass of water with an icecube under controlled conditions. Thanks again!

Bruce

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you aren't running the light by itself in the middle of the desert midday or in a well insulated area like a coat pocket they should be fine operating in turbo.
+1
If it gets too hot to touch then I'd start getting a little concerned, even though that has happened to my L2D.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rule of thumb: if it's hurting your hand, it's been too long. :D

Most emitters (should) have a much higher temperature tolerance than human pain receptors, even accounting for the imperfect transfer of heat to the flashlight casing.