Fenix TK20

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
Where did the thread go on the TK20? By the way, the only place I can find this flashlight is on a Canadian web site, fenixtactical.com. Looks interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Re: New Fenix TK20

yes,......:twothumbs

This is what I have been waiting for. A tactical "AA" light. I don't know if I care for the yellow... and I would have liked to have seen > 200 lumens, but whatever.

Ok 4sevens, when is it going to show up?

harddrive

Enlightened

A think the Neutral white of the TK20 will be a success. I recently got one of the Q2 5A drop ins from Dereelight and really like it. I think as more people get to try the neutral white the demand will increase. For me it neutral white for outdoor lights, cool white for indoors.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

If it is for outdoor aka hunters, hikers etc we would really like a low mode too. Mostly for camp duty etc. Darn every time I see a light that looks prefect for my outdoor stuff it seems to lack one or more import aspects. I wish someone could tell Fenix a low mode is important for this type of light. Well at least to me anyways.

edit.

I like the yellow.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the slideshow Matt. very informative and clear on the point. Gonna go for it!

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully it's 180... 150 will not be enough for a tactical, IMO:sigh:

Based on the lights chosen for the Family of Flashlights by PEO Soldier, the US Army seems to disagree.

SureFire guidance on choosing a weapon light also disagrees to some extent:

SureFire recommends 60 lumens (depending on reflector size and beam characteristics) as the minimum output level to cause momentary blindness in a subject whose eyes are dark-adapted and who is no more than ten yards distant.

You might be tempted to choose a very high output WeaponLight for all purposes, but this could be the wrong decision. Higher light output WeaponLights use more batteries and are therefore larger and heavier. This can be significant when the firearm is used in tight quarters, or carried over long distances, or held in a firing position for extended periods of time, or must be manipulated with maximum rapidity.

Furthermore, in close range engagements, such as inside buildings or caves, too much light output can result in excessive bounce-back light that could degrade your own night vision. For close to medium-range operations, such as structure clearing, or where targets may be one or more blocks away or in upper-floor windows, a two- to three-battery (6V-9V) light is probably best.
YMMV if you are looking at a light primarily for longer engagement ranges, and are willing to accept the trade offs. 2.3 times the output of a P60 module isn't exactly shabby. ;)

Woods Walker

It may surprise some people but lots of hunters/fishermen and other outdoors types are big flashlight and headlight fans. Often during gatherings of hunters it is not long before people start pulling out flashlights from daypacks etc. Higher end stuff like Surefires can be found. But Fenix and like lights are rare. I have sent some hunting buddies 4sevens way after they seen my Fenix lights. Unlike Joe 6 pack they are willing to spend 100 bucks on a light (but not too much more). This is a far bigger market than flashlight collectors I often see here on CPF. I think some on CPF like flashlights for the sake of the flashlight. Nothing wrong with that. I have guns and knives for the same reasons. Outdoors types are looking for the best tools and willing to drop the coin. It is a far bigger market. I think if this light had a low setting it would sell better to deer shooting, bass catching and hiking types like me.

1. Yellow grip is darn nice if the light is dropped. The wood has a way to eat gear

2. AA batteries are a big plus.

3. Momentary on. Oh man this is nice.

4. Nice tint for the woods. This is far better.

5. Good grip. One of the downsides to my L2D Q5

6. 150 lumens on Turbo Mode. This is just beyond what most have seen. Sure the CPF crowd may not be amazed but most outdoors types I know would say wow. A good selling point.

7. 45 lumen general mode is about right for night walks, pre dawn tree stand hikes and return hikes from afternoon fishing that cross over past dusk.

8. UL for the daypack.

If they had a 10-14 lumen low mode this would be the perfect light. 45 lumens are too much to fiddle around the pack etc in low light. Also somehow having a low level that can run for 20 or more hours adds a sense of security when outdoors. The 50ish hour on low was a big factor in getting my first Fenix. True the 28 days of survival listed is kind of crazy in that I don't expect to be lost for a month in the woods but there is just something about a good low level. Not the very low levels 5 lumens or less that some on CPF crave rather a useful 10-14 lumen light. I am fairly typical outdoorsman with maybe a stronger leaning to the flashlights. But still the general/turbo mode could work for many. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does this come with both grips, or does one choose at purchase?

1 what

Enlightened

I can see an interesting dedate re color temp on the way.
If someone can show me that neutral white is more usefull than cool white for telling how "well done" meat is then I'm sold. Cool white is useless for outdoor cooking. I'll happily test this for Matt or David if they wish. If they don't believe me I'll happily send them overcooked "game".:D.

Woods Walker

I have used blueish LED for years in the woods and so far I can see in the dark. But every so often conditions are just right and most of the LED I have used (blueish/cool white/whatever they are called) are not the same. The warmer tints of light if that is the word I am looking for does cut though the fog/rain/snow better for me. Also things don't look natural with the more blue LEDs.

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did the thread go on the TK20?

I'm also wondering why it was deleted ???

Anyway this looks like very nice light. Warmer tint is very good news especially for incad guys. It also looks like it has bigger smooth reflector so the throw will be probably better than with L2D or L2T.