The Surefire 9Z

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light many years ago as my "night shooting" light for USPSA/IPSC match stuff. Certainly long before I had ever heard about a place/forum like this, the powerful LED revolution, or anything remotely resembling a "flashaholic." When I first bought the light I was confident I'd never seen anything so bright before in my life.

Just the other day I came across Tung's thread over on the MarketPlace regarding drop-ins and I picked up one of his very affordable R2 units. Brought some fresh life into the old girl, and I would guess several orders of magnitude more efficiency.

Anybody else out there have one of these fine old 9Z's? Don't read about them much here, and I thought some of you would enjoy a couple pics. This old girl has been around the block, but it's still one solid piece of gear.

9z-r2b.jpg

9z-r2a.jpg

9z-r2c.jpg

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light and a great platform for SureFire lego. It does nicely with regular or high output incans, a turbohead or an LED conversion head. There are probably many more I've just omitted, such as rechargeable options.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Its a very nice light/ host.

I like the clasic look without all the anti roll bezzle nonsence, and knurling.

Looks smooth and cool. :thumbsup:

Retinator

Enlightened
Well that's cool!

Kind of like a 3 cell Z2.
What LED do you have in it? NVM, just reread msg #1:ohgeez:

Does it accept P90/91?
If those are recent pics, you baby it too much :)

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad SF doesn't still make a Z3/9Z light instead of the C3. I mean don't get me wrong the C3/C2 are good lights but to me the Z2 fells better and I belive a Z3 would too.

LumenMan

Enlightened
I picked up a few of the R2 LED drop in's from Tung as well. They are very,very nice. I've upgraded all of my old 6P's & 9P's with them & I'm very pleased with the increased output & runtime :thumbsup:

I'm jealous of your 9Z!:thumbsup: If I had a Surefire 12Z with the P91 my search for the prefect incandescent for my needs would be over.

Greggles

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I really wish I had bought one of those back in the 90s. I had a 6Z that I loaned to a buddy during an IDPA night shoot and I've never seen it since. I finally replaced it with a Z2 and rediscovered how much I like that grip. Just today I put my C2 up for trade hoping to get another Z2.

There was a Z3 on Ebay a couple weeks ago. I still regret not going after one, but it went higher than I thought it would.

I had a 12Z that I recently sold. That had the same combat grip, but the larger head just made it too awkward to carry, so it stayed on the shelf. I think the 3 cell combat grip is the perfect form factor.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice light, Ducaticorse! I really like the older non-hex bezels. I have a mint 9P with round body and "Laser Products" tailcap...but I either lost or sold the original round head a while back. It really gives the light a vintage look! Of course, the down side is that it'll roll right off a table! Doh!

I love all these drop-in's! They really breathe new life into your old or classic lights. Virtually infinite upgrade potential!

Some pics of my vintage 9P...it's not as cool as your 9Z...but close... :)

And yes, I have an R2 290 lumen drop-in in there...from ttran97.

9p_vintage_640.jpg

9p_vintage_tail_640.jpg

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old skool but still upgradeable making it desirable. With newer LA available nowadays the value of such lights are kept intact.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm jealous of your 9Z!:thumbsup: If I had a Surefire 12Z with the P91 my search for the prefect incandescent for my needs would be over.
I must be missing something (?) - the 12ZM and 12PM take four SF123A batteries to power the N62 lamp in the T-62 TurboHead.
The P91 requires the Z44 or similar bezel and is powered by three SF123A batteries.

I must be missing something (?) - the 12ZM and 12PM take four SF123A batteries to power the N62 lamp in the T-62 TurboHead.
The P91 requires the Z44 or similar bezel and is powered by three SF123A batteries.

I was thinking one could use the Z44 with the P91 on a 12P with 2 17670 AW rechargeable batteries. I don't own a 12P so I am not certain that a Z44 bezel will fit.

Rob187

Enlightened
I also got my 9Z way before I had found CPF.

I love it, great design and build quality.

Mine is now running now off 2 x Wolf Eyes Li Ions which cut running costs which were a bit prohibitive.

It's my favourite incan.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the form factor of the Z combat light series. I almost got rid of my 6Z which is my first real flashlight and introduction to Surefire. The LED drop-ins breathes new life into these great "old school" lights.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics of your really nice 9Z, Ducaticorse. Like many members, I too have appreciation for the design form. It really works. The Optimus, although apparently a little larger, uses a similar form. I got pretty excited when I saw photos of it posted here.

I have a Z3 usually running a Malkoff. I'd like to extend it to overdrive a P91 and see how that feels in grip after rearranging the rings.

IMG_0263.jpg

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Pics of my old 9Z received a lot more attention than I ever expected. :D Glad that some of you found it interesting, it's a great light.