Looking for small EDC like Fenix L0D-Q4 - suggestions?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a year of ownership, I seem to have lost my Fenix L0D-Q4. So I'm seeking a replacement. I liked the L0D, except for the noticeable PWM. It seems to be the most capable EDC in the AAA size (which I like, as I carried it in my business casual pants front pocket). Given a year has gone by, I'm wondering if there's anything else that has come along, which might offer much of what the L0D has without the PWM. My initial searches are suggesting I'd have to go to an AA sized EDC. If there's an ultra slim AA, I think I could consider that, but I'd prefer AAA. Any suggestions?

Wants, compared to L0D:
1) Similar slim width--slightly longer length is OK.
2) 65+lumens
3) Strobe (I find uses for it; SOS not necessary).
4) Twist or clicky switch OK (clicky preferred)
5) Tail stand not necessary
6) Undetectable PWM preferred
7) Whitish beam color preferred

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Light Flux 2 doesn't have the PWM, but the programming can be a PITA. There is also a stainless LOD clone without the PWM effects.

Overall because of ability, price, and simplicity, the LOD Q4 is still a winner however.

Gator762

Enlightened
I picked up a L0D Q4 a few weeks ago. As for the PWM, there really isn't any notice able flicker to it. In another thread someone complained about the clip. I don't know what the problem is. I put electrical tape under mine and that sucker doesn't move.

The AA lights are nice too, but the AAA is so much more pocket able.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LF2XT would be my recommendation. It does in fact have PWM but it is at 7.8khz. Completely imperceptible. And it is simply put one of the most flexible lights on the market.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I love my LF2X: beautiful bright white beam, no PWM, takes any AAA size battery, well-made and compact. I use AW's 10440 batteries and charger for double the light output. The LF2X isn't that hard to program using the instructions found on CPF, especially if you use the compressing trick instead of twisting. I got a custom clip from Pyromaniac in Germany, and am very happy with it, it is well-made and has a bit more grip than the one that comes with the light, and you can attach a split ring to it.

I liked the LF2X so much, I also bought the LF2 from Khoo to use as a keychain light.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
I have a Tiablo MA1 that I am pretty happy with. Its rated at 100 lumens, has hi/lo output, twisty switch and takes a beating. It doesn't have a strobe, but its a great light for an edc.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No matter what I do with my LOD Q4, I can't perceive the PWM flicker even on the lowest settings. I don't think it is because my eyes are totally insensitive to flicker, since with my Novatac p120, on occasion, I will briefly SEE flicker on its lowest level. It could be that the lower the output, the more apparent the flicker is, rather than the difference between different models of PWM flashlights, or samples of flashlights of the same model.

Still, I wonder if people with LOD flicker isssues, have tried other samples of these lights. It would be most interesting if these people tried samples loaned to them by people who can't see flicker with their lights. That might settle whether there are good and bad samples or not.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a LF2. You only have to figure out how to set it once. After that it is set for most people. Then you just need to remember 3 twists back and forth to access your strobes should you need to use them.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Another vote for the LF2x. I got mine from the B/S/T in the MarketPlace here and it was a great, lucky deal. It's my new favorite AAA light and I've worn it every day since I got it as long as I had a shirt that either buttons up or has a pocket. I always have a Peak Matterhorn in my coin pocket so I haven't wanted to carry the LF with anything else metal.
I guess you could call it my shirt queen instead of my shelf queen.
As for programming, it's not that hard and usually you can set it to some satisfactory combo and never adjust it again. (You beat me to it, PhantomPhoton).
BabyDoc, have you pointed your L0D towards a spinning fan? Or used it in the rain? Or spread your fingers out and waved them in front of the light?
I had an L0P SE and while the PWM wasn't a deal-breaker it was irritating on my sample.
There was a thread long ago where people measured the PWM frequency on their lights using an LED as the sensor hooked to a multi-testor with frequency counting. The L0D wasn't even out back then but I think it's in the same range as other Fenix lights that were tested.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the LF2X as much as my L0D.

2 reasons:

#1 - harder to program
#2 - the lanyard attachment adds additional length to the light, and it's not as secure as the simple lanyard hole on the L0D.

I still like it, but I love my L0D more.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I don't like the LF2X as much as my L0D.

2 reasons:

#1 - harder to program

Definitely, L0D can not be programmed :crackup::crackup:

#2 - the lanyard attachment adds additional length to the light, and it's not as secure as the simple lanyard hole on the L0D.

I still like it, but I love my L0D more.

A agree, but if your want to use a clip, the LF2X wins.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Liteflux LF2 or LF2X you can choose two levels to your liking and keep the strobe handy.

cimg0749avy4.jpg

kts

Enlightened
Try lighting up the fan on your PC cabinet with a LOD on its lowest setting, then you will see the PWM for sure.

Still my preferred AAA light. :twothumbs

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that the lf's are great lights but dont have quite as good runtimes. Also what are accurate stats on the tiablo? I find it hard to believe it puts out 110 lumens for 3 hours on 1 AAA.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i have the lf2x and cant really figure out the programming. i love the lod q4 but wish it was made for 10440s. i run them anyways...
where can i find instructions for the lf2x?

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
i have the lf2x and cant really figure out the programming. i love the lod q4 but wish it was made for 10440s. i run them anyways...
where can i find instructions for the lf2x?

Here's YouTube video on basic programming the LF2 (same as with LF2X:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kor7tVHj3zo

Here's youtube video on compression programming the LF2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE9r75bQgv8

Here's review at LightReviews:

http://light-reviews.com/reviews_aaa.html

I'll look for CPF thread with instructions and post link soon.