Diesel Suburban meets a closet flashaholic

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I sold a Diesel Suburban, (my all time favorite vehicle) 18 months ago to a flashaholic that didn't know he was afflicted with our disease. I go the truck back today as a trade on a new Duramax. The truck now has real HID Low beam headlights. I looked at the ballast, it's the real thing.($850) Xenon high beam headlights. All the marker lamps were converted to LED. He installed a roof visor and converted it to LED. He added 3 more marker lights to the rear bumper, LED. He also spent about $10k in performance mods. including an intercooler, Dual Amsoil oil filters, 3.5" exhaust, gel batteries, braided lines and so on.

I tried to get him to join the forum but he claims he doesn't have the time. He did all the work himself and it looks first rate.

I may post a link tomorrow for those interested in seeing pictures of this beast.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Boredom. He just finished it at Christmas. He called me in January and we ordered in Feb. He got the dual alternator option on his new truck. He plans on going crazy with it as well and wanted extra juice available. MSRP on the new one, $47k+. Oh yea, he's a New Yorker. I send a bunch of diesel Subs and trucks that direction. Most of my biz is specialty stuff on-line.

A diesel truck is the perfect platform for high power light mods. They all have dual batteries and this dual alternator thing really gives you some options. They now have an underhood generator option for the Duramx diesel. It's a $5k option but he didn't get it. He wanted to keep the truck cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
What a nut, but like Darell probably in a good way.

I'm not what you'd call a real New Yorker. First, because us Upstate guys prefer to think of "the city" as a different state, if not country. Second, because I grew up about thirty miles south of the Mason-Dixon line.

How big of a generator can you get?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Oh yes I am. My boss about had a heart attack when I told him how much I put into it.

99SubBlack69k1.JPG

99SubBlack69k13.JPG

Ballast picture

99SubBlack69k32.JPG

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
One size gen. available, 5k. That's a lot of bucks for a 5k gen you can buy at Home Depot for $500. Of course this one is under the hood and engine driven so they don't have Home Depot's added cost of supplying a motor. Wait a minute. The under hood one is 10 times more money and the motor is already there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Obviously the size to fit under the hood and the custom application is where the huge cost is based.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh yes you am going to resell it or yes you am going to keep it for yourself?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Dave, I'm impressed -- mind if I send my Suburban your way for some custom work? Take a traveler's check? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow...!!!

sounds like great stuff!

now all you need is oil and tacks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Yes I will sell it. I could buy a 2001 (new body style) 4wd 3/4 ton gas Sub with 40k miles for the price of this beast.