1st gen Jetbeam Jet I Mk II question for the experts

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I got another question for you all here (pardon my ignorance), I am running the Jetbeam on Ultrafire 900 mAh protected 14500s and on highest mode, the battery lasts 3 plus minutes max. But when i put a similar cell into my 1st generation Ultrafire C3, it rums for much much longer about 17 minutes.

I'm technologically inept (though trying to pick up as i go along) so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a million guys!

Is this a cell problem??

jetbeam_jet-1mk2_005.jpg

Can anything be done with this little baby to upgrade it?? It's served long and very very well as my primary EDC and i wouldnt want to retire it just like that but am thinking of trying to breathe new life into it.

Help needed from you experts here, I'm not a flashaholic yet, more flasha-occasional-drinker type. Any comments on this light and how to mod / upgrade would be very much appreciated

Oh, review can be seen here

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/jetbeam_jet-1mk2.htm

Last edited:

merlocka

Enlightened
Re: Think i own a 1st gen Jetbeam Jet I Mk II

Are you able to open up the head? If so, it should be fairly straightforward to replace the LuxIII with a CREE. That's one option.

You can pick up a Q5 from Dealextreme for under $10. I'm not a expert on the Lux, but if the Vf is low maybe a lower bin CREE or even an SSC P4 might be a good drop in (I've actually been considering updating my MKIIx with an SSC to get a bit more of a floody beam).

Will require minor soldering skills and some thermal compound. Depending on the reflector, you might need to widen the opening of the reflector for a proper fit.

Just a few ideas.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though my review is for the Jet I MkI, I believe the high setting is about the same :-
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116817&highlight=jetbeam

A 14500 should last about 30mins on high. 3 mins is absurd; probably a cell problem. To drain a 600-700mah (900mah quoted is probably inflated number) battery in 3 mins means the light is putting out about 14 amps, which will fry the battery instantly anyway.

As for modding the MkII, I believe the head is sealed tight, at least during those times i wanted to mod it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168795&highlight=jetbeam

If you cant unscrew the module, then you can't mod it. Just buy a new light from DX or something. Most of them are almost as good as the Jetbeam (except maybe in finish and build quality slightly) in terms of useability and output.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, I do think its a cell problem as the Jetbeam works fine on high with eneloops. That being said, i have a WF-138 14500 charger, is it possible that i could have spoiled the cells by leaving them for too long in the charger?