When is the new L4 coming out?

ugrey

Enlightened
I am a bit frustrated. An improved L4 head seems to be out in the form of the KX2C. This is the new head for the Scoutlight. It is 120 lumens and I understand the throw is much better. I really don't want to buy just a head for $135. I was waiting for the whole new L4 to be released. Anybody know anything? Will it happen this year or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and buy the KX2C for my E2e?

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L4 isn't an L4 without the huge flood beam. Doesn't the E2DL use that head? Sounds like that's what you want.

greenLED

Flashaholic
An L4 isn't an L4 without the huge flood beam.
... and since SF seems to be moving away from the use of reflectors, I wouldn't hold my breath for a "new" L4 (at least an L4 as we know it).

An alternative option is to put a P4 in an old style KL1 and replacing the optic with an McR20s reflector. It's as bright (if not brigther) than an L4, and the beam is actually nicer (IMO).

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't believe SureFire are planning to 'replace' the L4 by swapping the KL4 bezel for their KX2C bezel.
I doubt SureFire will release a handheld flashlight featuring the KX2C bezel.

I'd rather not know if SureFire are planning to update their L4 because the wait would be as frustrating as the waiting for all the other new products SureFire makes us wait for.

If they do update the L4 I'd much rather it simply arrive like the E1B.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things that distinguishes the KL4 IMO is the "wall of light" beam. The KX2c is an excellent piece of equipment but it has a TIR optic and the beam has a prominent hotspot in the center. I wouldn't really view it as a replacement for the KL4, although I am sure that's what SureFire intended, since it's replacing the KL4 on weaponlights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I wouldn't really view it as a replacement for the KL4, although I am sure that's what SureFire intended, since it's replacing the KL4 on weaponlights.
I'd phrase it differently:
The KX2C replaces the KL4 on the ScoutLight WeaponLight.
It does not replace the KL4 on the L4 flashlight.

The applications and requirements are very different.