Z58 on a L1 or A2?

H2Orower

Enlightened
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find anything on it.

I realize that the Z58 is not listed as a fully compatible tailcap for an L1 or A2 primarily because of the dual output nature of these lights, but is it possible to get any functionality with it? What I mean is, is it possible to use the clickie function to activate the high output and just use a little bit of twisty motion for the low?

If I had a Z58, I would experiment myself, but I imagine someone here has already tried it. Just thought it was worth asking.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm not looking to get into a clickie vs. twisty debate. We've all got our preference. :)

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it is not possible.

The A2/L1/L2 tailcaps have a resistor inside it that allows the Low/High, and the threads are different.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
However....on the older Z58 clickies there is a resistor mod that can be done to convert it to a 2-stage tailcap....I did it to one of mine, but prefer the McC2S switch from the Shoppe over it.

There is a thread around CPF somewhere that shows how its done, pretty simple to do.

H2Orower

Enlightened
However....on the older Z58 clickies there is a resistor mod that can be done to convert it to a 2-stage tailcap....I did it to one of mine, but prefer the McC2S switch from the Shoppe over it. There is a thread around CPF somewhere that shows how its done, pretty simple to do.

This sounds interesting to me, but I'm unclear as to what exactly the McC2S does. I found it on the Sandwich Shoppe website and it links you to a CPF thread on how it's done, but I'm still a bit confused. This is a clickie? What lights would use this switch? Are you saying I could put this on my L1 or A2? Please educate me a bit more. Thanks.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds interesting to me, but I'm unclear as to what exactly the McC2S does. I found it on the Sandwich Shoppe website and it links you to a CPF thread on how it's done, but I'm still a bit confused. This is a clickie? What lights would use this switch? Are you saying I could put this on my L1 or A2? Please educate me a bit more. Thanks.

It is a 2-stage twisty. Not a clicky.
It works the same as the A2/L1/L2 tailcap. If you twist it a little it will come on low, twist it more and you get high.
It also works as a momentary. Push a little get low, push harder you get high.
It makes the C/M/Z/P/D-series lights (LED lights) 2 stage.

hope that all made sense.:thinking:

H2Orower

Enlightened
It is a 2-stage twisty. Not a clicky.

It works the same as the A2/L1/L2 tailcap. If you twist it a little it will come on low, twist it more and you get high.

It also works as a momentary. Push a little get low, push harder you get high.

It makes the C/M/Z/P/D-series lights (LED lights) 2 stage.

hope that all made sense.

Yup, that cleared it up nicely. Thanks again.