Princeton Tec Apex P4 mod vs. Fenix L2D

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod is stunning, exceeded my expectations. Almost as stunning as Malkoff but in an arguably more practical package. A headlight is a pretty practical tool.

Surprise, it totally destroys my fav lite, Fenix L2D (Non-Q5 version)

PT Apex, moded:

PTmod.jpg

PT Apex orig:

PT_orig.jpg

Fenix L2D: (The 135 lumen version)

L2DCE.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone else did the swap for me... Yes, it uses the original optic.

I am debating now if I should swap the optic for something else. It has plenty of spill and flood and is most practical for the types of things you want to use a HL for. However, for throw, you may want to use something else. I have the Malkoff 3D, another stunning tool and it's a thrower.

Hard to say what I like more, Malkoff or PT Apex P4 mod.

One thing that is clear, it dominates the Fenix. Granted, it's not the latest-greatest Q5 Fenix. But feels oh so dim anyway next to it.

I am so pleased with this upgrade that I am thinking about upgrading my first PT Apex.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I am debating now if I should swap the optic for something else. It has plenty of spill and flood and is most practical for the types of things you want to use a HL for. However, for throw, you may want to use something else. I have the Malkoff 3D, another stunning tool and it's a thrower.

Maybe for a narrow angle, P4-specific optic? Putting a reflector in there won't increase throw.

I've done a couple of Lux/P4 swaps in my Eos (not the same optic, etc.) and I keep going back to using the stock optic. At least for my usage (bike riding), it's the best compromise between throw and sidespill that I'm comfortable with.

That said, I do have one Eos with a Khatod stippled reflector. The broad and diffused beam is excellent for reading at night.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Very nice ....
I Zero modding ability ... but I DO have an extra Apex.
I wonder how quickly and badly I'll destroy the light when I try the upgrade this winter.
:sigh:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple Seoul-mated PT headlamps as well:

• Apex Pro with stock optic (and 5mm's upgraded to GS-K1's)
  • EOS with 17mm SMO Khatod
I'm really happy with both of them, and the Apex is a pretty fantastic all-around package.

I've got another stock EOS, that I'll mod when my daughter's ready for a headlamp.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I find more info on upgrading the 5mm? They are really terrible, blue and relatively dim.

> Apex Pro with stock optic (and 5mm's upgraded to GS-K1's)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice - something I've been wanting to do for a while.

Did you keep the stock optic in the Apex?

The stock optic gave a slightly better beam with a bit more spill and larger hotspot with a Seoul.

Was considering a getting a reflector from the Sandwich shoppe, but too happy with the optic to bother:whistle:

My pro now runs happily on a belt mounted 2X18650 pack with the 2XCR123 pack kept as a spare.

Sverre

P220C

Newly Enlightened
What are the run times like on low and high? (same, better or worse than stock?)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should report on the run time.

Question Can Fenix L2D Q5 Premium match the output of this moded Apex?

Because as it stands now, I am really disappointed in the (older) L2D, as an EDC. It absolutely cannot match the Apex.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should report on the run time.

Question Can Fenix L2D Q5 Premium match the output of this moded Apex?

Because as it stands now, I am really disappointed in the (older) L2D, as an EDC. It absolutely cannot match the Apex.

I'd guesstimate my Apex to be putting out 140-180 lumen when compared to other lights:thumbsup:

It is very bright and runtimes should be the same. In practical use they are a lot longer since I use high a lot less. Since I use 2 18650s I have very long runtimes anyway.

I only need high when skiing fast in difficult terrain or if trying to spot something further away when hiking. Usually keep a throw light handy when hiking; C2 with extender and 380 lumen bulb or a Spear.

Sverre

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, yes or no? I mean the latest-and-greatest. But honestly, I don't think I will be buying until something better comes out.

I am just so shocked at the output of this PT lite, it seems to be twice as bright. And once you get used to a new standard, everything else seems like a dim bulb.