New flashlight....with a square beamshot? ( not aspheric lens)

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Im not sure if this has been talked about yet or not, but i found this beam shot to be pretty amazing...i donno if this has been posted or not, but i thought i'd share.

"Robert E. Fischer, CEO, Optics One Incorporated, Westlake Village, CA. Light Pipe: A new flashlight innovation that behaves like a kaleidoscope, creating near perfect light uniformity at the output end of the pipe."

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/science/20.html

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well you can have a similar thing by using a reflectorless light and hold a black sheet of paper with a rectangle cut into it. It might not be as crisp as the picture of their light though.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That appears to be a maglite with the focussing system from a digital projector attached to the business end.

Illum

Flashaholic
just from reading the title I thought we are once again talking about recoil lights.....

theres too much material there, all you need is a diffuser and an aperture...you can build all that into a space smaller than a standard mag bezel. :candle:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
we might be judging this a little to hastily. THe article says that its like a kaliedoscope, perhaps its reflectored in a way simlar to a one?

Crenshaw

brucec

Enlightened
Don't know why you would want a square beam. My Petzl Tikka XP has a sort of squarish beam too.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the goal is to get rid of the Mag artifacts, I'm afraid they're a little behind the curve. I'm sure it has some specific application somewhere.