If you could only have one SureFire... E1B, L1, E2D, or C2 Centurion?

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
What would you get? (just one :shakehead )

I'm about to get a new SureFire and I'm having trouble picking between 4.

I've narrowed my list to the;

E1B, L1, E2D or C2 Centurion.

-I like the switch on the L1 the best, I'm used to my M2, G3 and G2 when at the range.
-The size of the E1B good (wish it came with the tail of an E2D).
-The lumen and run time of the E2D are best, but is larger.
-C2 because it is easy to upgrade, it has a P60 and I could put in a Malkoff (but it does not have two levels)

I'll be using it for camping, hunting, hiking, practice at range (along with M2 and G2), and general use. I'm leaning towards the L1 because of the switch and I think it will fit in a pocket better. Just wish it was brighter

The ideal would be a L1 with the body of a E1B, tail of a E2D, and a higher high and lower low. Oh yeah, and upgradeable sometime in the next few years.
All new out of the box for under $160

That's not asking for too much is it?

Thanks for any advice.

H2Orower

Enlightened
It's no secret what my vote would be for: E1B with Z68 tailcap.

If you do it now before the Sept. Surefire price increase, you'll be under the $160 mark you mentioned.
- E1B $110
- Z68 $37

$147 total

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my L1 very much and have no intention of switching to any others. However if you don't mind the size the 2 stage e2l could be nice for extended runtime

What would you get? (just one
The ideal would be a L1 with the body of a E1B, tail of a E2D, and a higher high and lower low. Oh yeah, and upgradeable sometime in the next few years.
All new out of the box for under $160

That's not asking for too much is it?

L1's circuit is in body so if you put it on any E body you'll have a direct drive light. And the two stage mechanism is in tailcap so anything else than the stock will give you high level only.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I recommend the E1B as well. Its a fine torch with whatever tailcap you put on it. It has two perfect (IMO) levels, it has a nice throwy beam for such a small light, it has a superb clip and it's smooth so it goes in and out of the pocket real slick like (but even riding my scooter it's never come close to falling out).
The L1 is a bit too big, IMO, for a 1-123 light and I don't like the clip (but I love that tail switch!). The E2D(L I'm assuming) has that same clip and too many sharp edges to tear up clothing. The C2 is a great light because it's so easy to upgrade but I prefer at least two levels of output and you're going to need an aftermarket drop-in module to get that (and with most available drop-ins you'll get more like 5 modes with strobe/sos etc.) and it still has that bezel-up clip.

I guess that, for me, the E1B fit's most of my requirements with the fewest number of negatives. YMMV

EDIT: the best thing would be for you to find a local SF dealer and test each light out in person. Sometimes that's not an option tho...............

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'll be using it for camping, hunting, hiking, practice at range (along with M2 and G2), and general use.
My choice for very similar uses (including range) was the L1.

I guess that, for me, the E1B fit's most of my requirements with the fewest number of negatives. YMMV
As mush as I like the E1B, it's too small for my hands. The L1 is about as small as I can comfortably use.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Go with the L1, for no other reason than the switch, best uncomplicated switch going.

Yes, the switch is very easy to use on L1, but it is best for short flashes or long runs. For many purposes I wold prefer a switch that can lock on (On L1 your have to twist for permanent on).
I am going to supplement my L1 with a E1B (I had hoped it would arrive today, but it did not :().

E1B – No knurling
L1 – Twist to stay on
E2D – Not in market for a self-defense light
C2 – Don't like the way the light feels in my hand

For an EDC I'll take the E1L for the long run times, perfect fit for my hand, very useful low, has knurling, and is cheaper than the rest. Guess they make a Surefire for everybody.:thumbsup:

superflytnt

Enlightened
To everyone recommending the L1, how do you carry it? Will the E1B clip fit on an L1? I can't imagine the stock L1 clip is good for much other than hat use so do most of you carry it in a pouch? I really like the switch on the L1 but I prefer clip carry and the E1B's is, IMO, one of the best clips out there....................

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until recently, I would have said either the Gladius (for non-SureFire) or the L1. However, I recently bought a 2008 (dual level) E2L and that has vaulted up to the top of my SureFire list. Why? Very useful low, very useful high, and great runtimes.

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
i would get a C2 for its legoability. get a hold of a malkoff M60 (you can get an M60, M60L, M60F, M60LF, M60LL) drop in module or any P60 drop ins that would fit your purpose.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I got my first SF C2 today and I'm amazed at its small size. I would get the C2 because you are limitless to P60 style upgrades like the M60 as LEDs will get better and better, and you can turn it into a C3 with a cell extender. I plan to get the M60 and an FM34 diffuser to turn the M60 to an M60F.

sawlight

Enlightened
I used to EDC an L1. The clip works just fine for pocket carry, although I wasn't crazy about bezel up carry.
I miss that light, it was the old style with the loooooooooooong low runtime.
I can think of more flexible lights, but the L1 is still a fine choice for EDC.