SureFire A2 Aviator now on SureFire Website

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, of course, plan on purchasing a few of the new streamlights, a couple Twin Task models (my Dad would probably love these with the button and the LED/ Xenon) as well as a Luxeon and a Xenon from the TL and NF series but I heard that none of the Streamlight LED's are regulated and the A2 is. Is this correct?

The Streamlights must be coming shortly cause the price just dropped again on the Scorpion, I can't wait to check em out!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $175, I can purchase 5 different SL TTasks (2L, L, 3AA, 2D, T/B)... No reason not to go SL's way...

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
...I heard that none of the Streamlight LED's are regulated and the A2 is. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I have been told by some SL rep. these lights are not regulated - and they didn't give the impression that they were. In my opinion these SL models are lacking some fine tuning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
"As far as I have been told by some SL rep. these lights are not regulated - and they didn't give the impression that they were. In my opinion these SL models are lacking some fine tuning"

For that FANTASTIC price, I really don't care a whit. I can tell when batteries need changing without any difficulty. Regulated is NOT worth $ 145.

I also ordered the 3AA Luxeon, also can't wait.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I don't want to change the thread, but this gets into collector/enthusiast vs USER, ie cop, security, workman. I carry a handgun legally, and for that purpose my focus is a tactical light that WORKS; I see little difference in a Scorpion or a 6P; in fact, I prefer the Scorpion because I won't drop it (rubber sleeve).

Outside of that, the average person needs VERSATILITY; I can't count the times I was carrying a one hour run tac light, and wound up in a situation where I needed a long run medium illumination light. I do not care about octagons and hexagons being added to the barrel of the light, I simply find that they add to the difficulty of carrying the blasted thing without wearing a hole in my pockets, or worse, hendering drawing the light when needed.

I applaude Surefire for developing a dedicated bunch of folks that will pay the bucks for somewhat questionable gadgets added to a basic light.

But, I will buy a BUNCH of the Streamlights (and I can at the price) and enjoy reasonable price, excellent quality, and a factory quarantee second to none.

I''m through.

Aren't we having fun ?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be gettin' the A2 from Dan (hopefully, soon), so we'll see if this lives up to its expectations or not. There are very few lights I've bought that exceeded its pricing expectations for me...

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys, I just thought I'd mention the fact that they are unregulated, I didn't mean to start a rebellion. But seriously, I am a construction worker that uses lights alot and ruggedly. The octagonal shape is great if you have ever set a light down to use two hands while 11 or more feet off the ground and had it roll off the surface/scaffold and fall onto a concrete floor both blowing the bulb and damaging the bezel beyond repair, you would definitely appreciate this feature on a Surefire. I also cannot tell you how many times I have lost rubber coated tools for the simple fact that when they fall out of a tool belt, pocket, holster, you don't hear them hit the ground and do not know they fell out (rubber tends to silence them) we lose those rubber coated tape measures like pocket change. My personal favorite material for work lights is nitrolon, alot more shock resistant than aluminum. I am not dissing the pricing of the new SL's but am saying you get what you pay for and in this case what appears to be a Nuwai co-op that is unregulated. I mentioned that I plan on getting a few to test but I already carry the best I can afford and they haven't let me down yet. No real offense meant but I do use lights even harder than most law enforcement could ever think too as they almost never find themselves in the professional situations I do. Mine have to tolerate the same behaviors that are attached to building; welding woodworking, masonry, plumbing, electrical, well, you get the idea and often in cramped, dusty, vibrating,sparking and abrasive environments. Hell, maybe I should test lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Later,
TSG

Size15's

Flashaholic
Way off topic here on a thread about the A2 being on SureFire's site...

We have all sorts of members here at CPF. They use CPF for many different reasons.

If you want to continue this discussion over the different bulb/LED combo flashlights then please start your own threads.

Thanks

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Al , But I guess there's only so much to say on the subject after "Surefire A2 Aviator now on Surefire Website" and then a comment on the fact that while overpriced on the site they are completely unavailable from Surefire Direct anyway, So I guess we got on to comparisons and whether or not that style of light is worth it in the first place as well as the soon to be available more economic options to buying that specific light and their potential drawbacks. Seems that money being as tight as it is and competition coming maybe SF needs to re-evaluate the A2's pricing.

Later,

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps it means that if people can not afford to support the cost of SureFire's R&D efforts to advance illumination technologies then we will see even fewer products being released for retail as the concentration on Military and Special Operations products appears to matter more to SureFire then getting rich from selling on cheap imports.

I am shocked that CPF is not more supportive of the obvious importance SureFire puts on R&D and new products.
In my opinion taking the cheap option is one of the worst human traits.

Current demand for SureFires such as the A2 means that SureFire can not supply them fast enough at the prices they currently retail for.
Seems like you want SureFire to re-evalutate the A2's pricing so that it's less than it costs SureFire to make it for and less then people are willing to buy it for.
That just doesn't add up!

Al

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
quote........
Perhaps it means that if people can not afford to support the cost of SureFire's R&D efforts to advance illumination technologies then we will see even fewer products being released for retail as the concentration on Military and Special Operations products appears to matter more to SureFire then getting rich from selling on cheap imports.

I am shocked that CPF is not more supportive of the obvious importance SureFire puts on R&D and new products.
In my opinion taking the cheap option is one of the worst human traits........

Shocked ????

Lordy, it is called FREE INTERPRISE. Our nation is built on it. Surefire isn't being hurt by the military demand for their product, they are thriving on it. I totally miss our administrators point.....Is Surefire the appointed politically correct recipient of some sort of religious blessing ???

Surefire hasn't invented the technology.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A person can buy a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench from Snap-On for $50 or they can by a full 3/8" ratchet set with sockets for $4.99 on an end cap display at the local discount hardware store. This is a bad example since the ratchet wrenches in both cases may have the same design in functional components. The A2 is completely different inside compared to the twin task light. Is the difference required? That's up to the consumer.

I find it interesting that when price becomes a topic for discussion, typically the comment is why doesn't the expensive guy sell his for less. Not why doesn't the expensive guy make it cheaper. There is a difference! Rarely do you hear why doesn't the cheap guy add some R&D, material improvement and design enhancements and sell his for a bit more.

There is a market for both ends of the spectrum and consumers have choices. I'm glad that all the manufacturers don't meet halfway and provide the same thing!

One thing I have learned is that it is a lot easier making a part cheaper and using relaxed tolerances and older technology than it is to improve a part with more sophisticated design, components and materials.

Do you guys want SF to farm their work off shore and bring in lower quality and cheaper stuff? Leave it to the copy cats to bear the burden of R&D and augment tomorrow's technology in new designs?

There are some great deals to be had out there. Why do we need more manufacturers to bring in more product to compete at this end? Who is driving the design of flashlights into the next generation? From where I sit, it's SF. Why not let them do that and the inexpensive guys can copy some of the features and provide inexpensive knock offs. SF isn't holding a gun to anybody's head to buy a $175 A2, are they?

stangster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true communist. God Bless America and capitalism.
So if I get a cheaper Mercedes instead of a Rolls Royce, I have the worst trait in a human?
So if I get a cheaper Hyundai instead of a Honda, I have the worst trait in a human?

Lame..

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Lordy, it is called FREE INTERPRISE. ...............
Surefire hasn't invented the technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

I agree it is free enterprise. SureFire is perfectly in their right to sell the A2 for $175 to whomever is wanting to buy one.

SF may not have invented the technology in the A2 but they sure are the first to bring it to market; a free market where consumers choose to buy what they will.

OK, this next comment is off the wall but what the heck.
Do you guys want to see prices drop across the board on all products? Well a great start would be to go into work tomorrow and demand a reduction in pay and request that that reduction be passed onto the end user of your goods or services.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that SF is probably now a recipient, and probably was prior, to Govt. research grants and contract money that enable it to concentrate on development for military and law enforcement applications and is very involved in this aspect of it's development. That being said I think consumers could use a little break.

We are talking about we as consumers man, and how this pertains to our purchases. We benefit from those relationships but as JohnK said "free enterprise", we are not uninformed and it's fair to place fair values on a product that will see competition by another well respected manufacturer that has also seen Govt. and law enforcement contracts in it's history.

No offense Al, but sometimes I think your relationship with SF may influence your judgements in regards to our discussions of other products in the market place. And I appreciate an Administrator to take a moderate tone in a forum that is supposed to be affiliated to no one manufacturer or product.

Later,

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This is getting fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[ QUOTE ]
stangster said:
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true communist. God Bless America and capitalism.
So if I get a cheaper Mercedes instead of a Rolls Royce, I have the worst trait in a human?
So if I get a cheaper Hyundai instead of a Honda, I have the worst trait in a human?

Lame..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think this post is lame. I believe I understand what Al was trying to convey and frankly I think it is a keystone to a free market where a diversity in price and quality of product is available; the antithisis of communisum where everyone can have the same product. I believe Al was being critical of a propensity to let price alone be the driving force at the expense of improvement, quality and sophistication.

I really don't understand why everyone gets so hot about this! You want a $40 dual task light? Fine, they're available! You want a $175 A2? Well you will have to wait until some supply becomes available and then you can have one.

Darn, I wish Stream Light would make an improved version of the A2 with a higher output regulated incandescent and a larger reflector and a PWM circuit on the LED's. I would also expect to pay more than the price of the A2.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif