Fenix E20...love or no love?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freind invited me to go shark fishing...boat leaves at 7:00 PM and comes back at midnight, I thought perhaps I would buy a some what nice beater light. I would hate to loose my L2d Q5 or my Nitecore D10.

I guess I would hate to loose any light...but not as bad to loose a $32 light. I don`t hear to much about it on CPF. Is it worthwhile considering this light?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved mine before my brother confiscated it. It has a nice spot and tint, is fairly bright and seems pretty rugged to me. If your looking for a less expensive light but still want quality features and performance, then in my opinion you can't go wrong with the E20.

Bill

JLEGG

Newly Enlightened
i think it's a great light. bright no fancy uneeded modes, goood easy to use forward clicky. only thing i could want is it to be a little smoother so i could hold it in my mouth to work on computers, like a MM is smooth.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if I missed it in another thread but, how is the throw for this one?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my e20 alot. The throw is quite good if you fully tighten the head, couldn't give you an exact distance but farther than my p4 rc-n3. What I really like it for is fairly close use, the unfocused beam is very nice and lights up a great area. The candle mode is also very nice, but doesn't tailstand on its own unfortunately. I hope they will incorporate the twisty head into other lights in the future.

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Why a flashlight on a boat? I always use a headlamp when fishing in the dark. Two hands free.

I would *not* want to be dealing with a thrashing shark on the back of a boat, and having a torch in one hand at the critical moment when you need more light!

To the poster above, I don't think tailstanding is really a feature required for a light on a boat at sea!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol you are right, I didnt even read the op I confess! I just read the title. I have no clue what would be ideal for fishing or being on a boat. Don't boats just have spot lights? I guess it depends on the boat.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t really know what to expect. Commercal boat...I assume if it is like the day fishing trips I have been on there could be 30+ people. I am imagining people catching sharks/fish all around the boat at the same time. So I`m picturing lighting the shark (probably not mine) while someone uses a grapple to drag it into the boat. Could be wrong...just don`t know.

adsl_keeki

Newly Enlightened
The E20 is quite good looking, but I would add a couple more bucks for a L2D Q2 (if you can still find them anywhere in stock). I don't find the runtime nor the output is all that impressive. The E20 is quite reliable however (judging from experience).