Need to know which BD Spot is brighter

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
I have two Black Diamond Spot headlamps, both purchased within the past year, but the color of the LED is different. I can't A/B test to see which is brighter because I only have 3 batteries. Could someone please look at these two pictures and tell me which one is brighter? The shape of the two LEDs are identical (which means to me that that both are from the same LED manufacturer), but the first one is silver and the second one is yellow.
(Both LEDs have yellow center.) If someone has the brightest BD Spot, please look at the following pictures and tell me which one is brighter.
spot2.jpg

spot1.JPG

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
They are both Cree led's. The top one has phosphor only on the die. All the newly manufactured Cree's (that I know of) are like this. That does (edit: NOT) mean that it will be brighter than the one in the lower pic though.

Last edited:

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean the silver one will be brighter than the yellow one? Sorry I am a little confused by your words.

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
The yellow coloring you see is the phosphor. Cree's now are made with phosphor only on the die (the square part in the center). Those two LED's could have the exact same bin, such as Q5. We can't tell because they're not marked.

To tell which one is brighter you need to get 3 more batteries and do a direct comparison.

Edit: Both LED's appear to have two bond wires. That would make them both P2 Cree's.

Last edited:

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I have to get 6 new batteries and make a comparison.
The yellow one has yellow bond wires that appear to be slightly flat in cross section. The silver one has copper colored wires that appear round in cross section.

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Do you have to use those three batteries in your camera also, or does it have its own battery/batteries? If your camera has its own batteries, then you CAN test this.

Set your camera to a manual setting, take a photo in the dark of one headlamp's beam. Then using the same settings, take a photo of the other lamp's beam. Compare the digital photos on your computer.

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
Interesting idea but too geeky for me. I'll just wait until I can get 6 new alkaline batteries. I normally use rechargeable batteries but only have 3 of those. Also, I always install a charge jack on the headlight so I don't have to remove the batteries.
charge1.jpg

Last edited: