Simple P7 4D maglite...what circuit board?

sactime

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am planning on modding my 4D maglite with a p7. For the heatsink I plan on using the H22A HAIII P7 heatsink. SSC P7 D-bin LED.

I would like to power this with the 4D cell batteries (6v total). I am having trouble deciding what circuit board I need. I do not want a multi-mode board.

So I guess I am looking for a 6v input, 2800mA output circuit board.

What do you folks recommend? Is it possible to power this with 4D batteries? What would the run time be approximately?

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Sactime

EDIT: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1770

How about that driver?

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
just ran my 3D light last night with the power of 4 batts. It was awesome. It was brighter, the hum from the driver on low went away and it all around seemed to be much happier. This is of course with the DxxxJ emitter.

I have the 4xAMC7135 boards(like in stephans thread with PWM) in my light. Two together supply the 2,8 amps the led likes. the addition battery gives it a closer voltage it likes I am guessing. You could just use the amc boards.

Last edited:

donghui

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am planning on modding my 4D maglite with a p7. For the heatsink I plan on using the H22A HAIII P7 heatsink. SSC P7 D-bin LED.

I would like to power this with the 4D cell batteries (6v total). I am having trouble deciding what circuit board I need. I do not want a multi-mode board.

So I guess I am looking for a 6v input, 2800mA output circuit board.

What do you folks recommend? Is it possible to power this with 4D batteries? What would the run time be approximately?

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Sactime

EDIT: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1770

How about that driver?

Just finished the modding of my mag 4d this Wednesday, so far so good seriously that thing is freaking bright. The driver I'm using called Zhanqi V9 I got that from China which costs me about AUD$7, I'm not so sure if this is exactly the same as the so called "super driver" on Kaido.
The driver support up to 15v giving regulated 2.8 amp at the average efficiency of something around 82% before the voltage dropped below 5.?v. The board getting really hot after the voltage dropped below 6V then the thermal protect alert will be activated by dimming the light automatically and flashing, I still haven't figure out if this is the low voltage alert or the thermal protection. I believe the circuit is design for dual li-ion battery use and that is what the "LOW voltage" alert for.
20081001_6e1960dc606284ee95de60wQoQJvKopz.jpg

The batteries I'm using are 4 pairs of eneloop, at first I put them in pairs in 4 "2aa-d" converters and it works but keep giving alert. Then I put 2 pairs in parrel and another 2 in serial then it works fine but only lasts about 30min at 2.8a before giving alert. Last night I put all my 8 aa cells in serial and mounted it on my bike for a ride it was great lasts more than 1 hour.
I'm still waiting for my li-ion cells from DX, I ordered 4 and will use 3 in serial in my mag and I believe that gonna last quite a long while at 2.8a.
But I still think the amc7135 sandwich also a good solution for 4d mag thought it will be really hot at the start I think, just get 8 cells and put them in parallel in pairs it could last long I reckon. Actually I've ordered 10 packs of 7135s in DX but they are out of stock again have to wait untill 10/11/08 can't wait that long so I changed my order.
Cheers

donghui

Newly Enlightened
Depends what kind of batteries are u going to use, if just use standard D rechargeable cell in 3 d mag then why not try direct drive and u can save a driver board then.

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
Then I put 2 pairs in parrel and another 2 in serial...

This is not a good idea. Firstly, it gains you nothing as the voltage of cells in parallel is the same as a single cell. Secondly, two in parallel gives twice the runtime of the single cells in series with them. The single cells then run the potential risk of being completely discharged, which is not good, or reverse charged by the parallel cells, which will ruin them.

Kev.

sactime

Newly Enlightened
Depends what kind of batteries are u going to use, if just use standard D rechargeable cell in 3 d mag then why not try direct drive and u can save a driver board then.

I will be using standard 1.5v D cell's, then later on I might add some rechargeables. Either way, this driver will work fine with primary and rechargeable D cells, correct?

Is there a better driver board I could get, for a single mode P7?

Thank you.

sactime

Newly Enlightened
Bump...I am getting ready to buy.

If anyone can point me in the direction to a better board, please speak up. Or else I am planning on buying the SSC P7 8x7135 2.8A Board

Thanks

Mettee

Enlightened
that really is the cheapest most simple way to do it. Think of it like this, if you dont like it or want to change you can, right? That is what I have in my light now, but I like to mod so now I am going to change drivers and batteries and go with the derwichtel and lions.

If you want simple stick with the amc setup. I used the stephan method and did a multi mode 3A sandwich and I am very happy with its performance. The single stage you speak of of is even easier.