Malkoff 2C Maglite or Tiablo A9 ?

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Some months ago, I bought a Tiablo A9. (instead of a SF C2 with a Malkoff) There is nothing wrong with it, it is bright and has good throw, but, I don't love it. I try to limit my lights that run on (R)CR123 because of some bad experiences with chargers that break. (All Rcr123 chargers seem to be of the same family and crappy.)

So, I was thinking of getting a Maglite 2C with a Malkoff dropin. Mainly as a light for keeping in the car. 2C because of the size of the light and because of the simple fact that C-cells are sold in packs of two.

Before getting the Malkoff, allow me to ask some questions:
- Will a 2C Malkoff throw as well as a Tiablo a9?
- Would regulation on 2 alkalines be real flat or "somewhat" flat :)
- Would I lose some output by using NiMH?
- When looking at Gene's site, I understand that the output is the same with 2 to 6 cells, C or D, only runtime is affected. But from what I read in other threads, this may not be 100% true.
If true, what lumens can I expect from 2 alkalines (or, eventually, 2 NiMH)? 240/1000x600=144 lumens??

Please help me out on this one.
Kind regards,
Joris

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened
Check the Malkoff site again carefully. Output IS NOT the same. It is listed as the same between the C and D models, but not for different numbers of cells. Here is a quote from the drop-in you are looking at (2-3 "C" cells):

"This LED is rated at 240 lumens at 1000ma. The Drop-In module has a regulated driver. The current output to the led at 3c cells is 1000ma and 600ma for 2c cells."

The current to the LED is not the same. Output on 2 C cells will be lower than your A9. It's still a great option (I have one, but I use it in a 3 cell body for maximum effect).

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
thanks for the reply :thumbsup:.
So my guess that:
240 lumens / 1000mah x 600 mah = 144 lumens
may be (somewhat) true?
But if it still gives 144 lumens, it would still be more than the +/- 100 lumens of my 6 C-cell maglite with Nimh and a 5-cell krypton white star lamp installed.

Kind regards,
Joris

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Because of the shallower Maglite reflector, the Malkoff won't throw as far as the A9.

From this thread(post 103), you should be getting around 145 lumen at 600 mAh (205-210 lumen at 1 amp) so your guess was pretty accurate.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
- Would I lose some output by using NiMH?

My Malkoff 3C Mag is noticeably brighter and draws about 200mA more battery current when I use NiMH cells compared to Energizer alkaline cells.
It's true that NiMH cells have a lower open circuit voltage than alkaline cells, but when you load them both down, the alkaline cells voltage drops lower then the NiMH.
Alkaline cells are a poor choice for a high current draw light.

radiomanss

Newly Enlightened
I opted for the 3C Maglite, and used Gene's conversion. As noted in earlier posts, this puts 1000 ma into the conversion, i.e. about 4.5 watts (using the 3 C cells). While I haven't measured the output lumens, it sure looks like 240 by comparison with my other lights. The throw is outstanding.

As suggested by others, I think that the 2C would be a compromise.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. ;)
If the 2C Malkoff provides me with 144 lumens, this sounds quite well as 144 lumens is more than, say:
- My 6C maglite with krypton bulb and NiMH
- My Surefire L2

So, even as it doesn't get to it's full potential at 240 lumens, it's still a sound performer in a handy package.
If it throws as well as the old and long 6C, I'm all for it :thumbsup:.

Kind regards,
Joris

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the DBS throws similar to the 6D from what I remember in one of WadeF's post. So the Malkoff might throw less then the 6D. The 6C should have similar performance.

22hornet

Enlightened
hello,
I cracked :ohgeez:and bought the Malkoff for a 2-3 C-cell Maglite. (30USD for shipment to Belgium :broke:)
I am quite sure the Malkoff will provide me with joy and pleasure :) and I also ordered 2 maglites: 2C and 3C.
I also ordered a terralux TLE-6EX upgrade so I might even compare.
My dad has a 3D with this terralux TLE-6EX and it is quite impressive for a 3D maglite. There may be doubts about the heathsinking but thusfar it holds up well. It throws extremely well and has a very tight hotspot.
I should compare it to my Tiablo A9.

If my Malkoff does as well - or better - from a 2C and combines this with a very robust and solid quality, I will be a happy flashaholic.

I also got the 3C to have the option to switch the device should the output be frustrating :rolleyes: and go from 140 to 240 lumens.

Kind regards and thanks for your replies and input.
Joris

Last edited: