Police Officer looking for Strion replacement

crazeeman13

Newly Enlightened
I am a Police Officer that carries a Streamlight Strion on his belt as a tactical light. I am looking something about the same size as the Strion but brighter and takes cr123 batteries. I use a Stinger led DS as my primary light for traffic stops and such. I only use the belt light as a backup maybe a few minutes each week. Any input is appreciated.

IcantC

Enlightened
Just wondering how big would you like the light to be?

How many batteries?

Throw/Flood or both?

Single or multiple levels?

I would say pickup a Surefire 6P or Z2, purchase some rechargeable RCR123s(unless you get free CR123s from your dept) and then add a reputable LED dropin(Malkoff or Dereelight).

I run a Dereelight Q5 dropin in my SFZ2 with RCR123s and it is very bright. It is a bit too bright for vehicle searching though.

crazeeman13

Newly Enlightened
I will give you more specifics:

6p sized
2 cr 123s (not rechargables)
single mode
throw more than flood
and brighter than a 6p

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind simple to use 2 modes(tighten head = high, loosen head = low), The Fenix T series, the Eagletac T10C2, P10C2 might work.

The Dereelight CL1H, 6P(or any good P60 accepting light) with a good drop-in like the Malkoff M60 can work as single mode only(You'll have to pick the single mode module for the CL1H).

KEW

Newly Enlightened
If you want to stick to Streamlight, (and a lot of cops do) you will be amazed at the new TL-2 with C-4 technology. It blows the Strion away. I have been using mine with the R-123 batts and for the money it is a great light and no questions asked lifetime warranty.

IcantC

Enlightened

6p sized
single mode
throw more than flood
and brighter than a 6p

Would you mind using a 6P? I certainly would not(I have 2 Z2's)

I would purchase a 6P, install a quality Q5 dropin(perhaps Dereelight due to reasonable price) 1SM-2
http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Which runs on 2 CR123 primaries. Purchase the SMO and it will throw and be A LOT brighter than a 6P or even a P61( at least to me in real use) and will run for 1-2 hours before needing new batteries!

IF you are in the US, check this out
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184794

FlashCrazy will offer Dereelight stuff from the US! So faster shipping and easier support(no need to wait long or ship around the world!).

6P has a forward switch, many accessories, can always upgrade with newer P60 dropins.

Hope that helps and stay safe :).

BUZ

Enlightened

6p sized
single mode
throw more than flood
and brighter than a 6p

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-126-127-6447

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-126-128-6459

Both built like a tank, long runtimes, very bright and very reliable!

BTW Mike@pts is the best guy I have ever dealt with, goes out of his way to make sure you are satisfied!

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an EagleTac T10C2 for duty use and absolutely love it. I ordered it from 4Sevens' EagleTac-Store.com, used the 'cpf8' rebate code and had it at my door in three days for under $62 (free shipping). It has two modes, adjusted by twisting the head - so it can be used as a one mode, and the most perfect combination of throw and flood I've seen. It is better, and more economical, than going the SF P6, + drop-in, + blah, + blah, route.... You can get the EagleTac to your door for the same price or less than most of the drop-ins, not to mention the cost of the P6. Mine also replaced my Streamlights and Surefires... They now sit in the unit unused....

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick to Streamlight, (and a lot of cops do) you will be amazed at the new TL-2 with C-4 technology. It blows the Strion away. I have been using mine with the R-123 batts and for the money it is a great light and no questions asked lifetime warranty.

For a single mode...not expensive...USA made light, I agree with the above post. I bought the Streamlight Scorpian with the C4 led. While the light is 30% less bright than a Olight M20 or Fenix T1 on high...the led is easy tu use, and very tough. Since I like brighter multi-level lights, I did a torture test on the Scorpion. It survived 7 20+ foot high tosses while landing on blacktop. The 123a's were destroyed....but the light still worked. It is also much brighter than a Strion.

lightfet

Newly Enlightened
Would you mind using a 6P? I certainly would not(I have 2 Z2's)

I would purchase a 6P, install a quality Q5 dropin(perhaps Dereelight due to reasonable price) 1SM-2
http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Which runs on 2 CR123 primaries. Purchase the SMO and it will throw and be A LOT brighter than a 6P or even a P61( at least to me in real use) and will run for 1-2 hours before needing new batteries!

IF you are in the US, check this out
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184794

FlashCrazy will offer Dereelight stuff from the US! So faster shipping and easier support(no need to wait long or ship around the world!).

6P has a forward switch, many accessories, can always upgrade with newer P60 dropins.

Hope that helps and stay safe :).

I second dereelight 1SM-2 with SMO dropin this is a very good thrower, I would recommend a SF Z2 for the enhanced grip to be used with handgun.

fluke

Enlightened
I second dereelight 1SM-2 with SMO dropin this is a very good thrower, I would recommend a SF Z2 for the enhanced grip to be used with handgun.

I third the Dereelight dropin outstanding throw on the smooth reflector.

springbok

Newly Enlightened
6P with a Malkoff M60 best combo around.

i carry 2 x 6p's. One with a m60 malkoff and one with m60f malkoff. has never failed me on duty. i use the m60 for general use and t-stops and the m60f for building clearing.

Optik49

Enlightened
I totally agree. I use a Malkoff in a G2Z. Buy an incandescent either G2, G2Z, 6P, C2, or Z2 then order a Malkoff M60 drop-in. I also use a Surefire V70 holster with the G2Z and it works great. I tried the M60F and found for ME the M60 works the best. The polymer body in the G2 and G2Z hold up better for me. I would just get a metal head for the heat if you tend to use it for longer periods.
Let us know what you buy. ;) Stay safe.

crazeeman13

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned earleir I do have a SF G2 Nitrolon that I keep in my patrol bag as a back-up. I have thought of just getting an led dropin for it.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
You could get a R2 Cree drop-in from dealextreme or another online store.

Definatley buy a R2 or Q5 Cree flashlight they are way brighter than Xenon. I work as a LEO too and these light up subjects from far away. If money is a little tight and these lights are a bit expensive try the dealextreme 16178 .

Buying a upgrade replacement R2 drop-in for your Nitrolon SF-G2 is good but the use of should not be that long. The plastic body is not a good heat transfer and could affect the long time use of it. Next time a Surefire metal 6P would be a better host to all these new upgrades. :thumbsup: