NEVERMIND: How to measure drive current for an intended emitter swap?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering doing a straight emitter swap on an Inova T4, and I'm not sure how to determine what the drive current is to the LED. The multimeter I've got is a Craftsman True RMS like the one seen HERE, except mine has the infrared thermometer function too. I'd like to avoid instaflashing an LED if at all possible, is there a way to determine drive current while the power is on, and what setting should I have it on? Is that all the info I need to know for a swap, besides voltage out the front? The T4 has a 18650-type LiIon cell that's labeled 3.6v / 2150mAh if that helps. I was thinking of putting an XRE or MC-E emitter in place of the LuxIV.

I've decided not to mod it after all :huh:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How to measure drive current for an intended emitter swap?

All you need to do is make sure you're using a compatible emitter. For example, if your current light has a LuxIII, your best bet is probably a Seoul. This has more to do with die height in the reflector than current usage.

There is no such thing as a LuxIV.

The MC-E has four dice and would be a more complex mod to a single-die light.

You might want to read the Welcome Mat.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm, after reading this review, I thought it had a LuxIV, but perhaps it's a LuxIII like you say. I also thought having the TIROS optic, that die height wouldn't be all that important in producing a tight focus. I guess I'll have to do a little more homework. I've got a dremel and could machine the sink a little to accomodate an emitter with a larger base, such as the P7 where the wiring would be more simple than an MC-E.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Doing anything to the optic might screw up it's optical properties.

IIRC the TIROS(their optic) T4 uses a Luxeon III, so a Seoul P4 swap should be easier.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm, after reading this review, I thought it had a LuxIV, but perhaps it's a LuxIII like you say. I also thought having the TIROS optic, that die height wouldn't be all that important in producing a tight focus. I guess I'll have to do a little more homework. I've got a dremel and could machine the sink a little to accomodate an emitter with a larger base, such as the P7 where the wiring would be more simple than an MC-E.

Die height is extremely important with TIR optics, even more so than with reflectors.

As mentioned above, don't try to modify the optic.

A P7 won't work well in this light. Neither the stock driver nor the stock optic will accommodate a P7 the way they will accommodate a P4.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as per everyone's advice, I'm going to hold off on modding the T4. It's going to stay on the charger in the garage as a utility light, thanks for all the advice.

thegeek

Enlightened
If the light has a LuxV in it then an MC-E wired in 2s2p would work well with the driver, not sure how the optic would make things look, but it should be bearable at least. If it's a luxIII, then an SSC P4 would be a direct swap, and probably work great with the optic. I would say dig into it. Once you get to the emitter you can tell for sure what it is, then decide whether or not to proceed.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Go ahead and put in a P4, you will like the difference. I did this and it is much improved. It is just a direct swap.