Newbie with 4D Maglite! What now?!

Gobbie

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm completely new to all this but can see myself getting hooked. I've been having a good look around the forum and am impressed with a lot of the work going on.

I've got a 4D Maglite which I'd like to put a good led in, but have no idea where to start. I don't want to spend a fortune and have limited modding skills. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd bet there's other threads covering this but I didn't find them. Maybe there's now a drop-in solution? Any help appreciated!

Thanks

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I'm completely new to all this but can see myself getting hooked. I've been having a good look around the forum and am impressed with a lot of the work going on.

I've got a 4D Maglite which I'd like to put a good led in, but have no idea where to start. I don't want to spend a fortune and have limited modding skills. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd bet there's other threads covering this but I didn't find them. Maybe there's now a drop-in solution? Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Gobbie,

Your best bet is just to buy a MagLED straight from the store. They sell for $35 in the states. Truly modding a Mag can be very expensive if you want it to be impressive. In all honesty you aren't going to have a very nice setup unless you are willing to spend well over $100.

Have you thought about buying a smaller and much nicer flashlight? Fenix-store.com and 4sevens.com both have free worldwide shipping if you are worried about the high cost of shipping.
Check out one of these models:

Nitecore D20
Fenix LD20

irv_usc

Enlightened
what adirondack said.

also, if you have some moderate soldering skills, you can switch out the LED from the MagLED module and upgrade it with an SSC P4 for a pretty big improvement over stock.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use the TerraLUX TLE-300 drop-in in my Mag.

It's essentially just three LEDs, each with its own optic, all in a self-contained drop-in puck with all the necessary circuitry. It's a minimal difficulty install, you remove the stock Mag reflector and bulb, put the TLE-300 in the socket, done.

Optic lenses mean *serious throw* and the TLE-300 doesn't disappoint, projecting a big fat hotspot with no corona or spill to speak of. You lose the Mag's focusing ability, but when you've got a glaring hotspot that's over two feet across from only ten feet away, you don't need it. The only con is that the hotspot looks a bit like a round, multi-pointed star (the optics to some degree project the square shape of the LEDs) but in normal use, especially outdoors, you don't notice it.

I mainly use my TLE-300 Mag on night walks down our suburb street to the area mailbox. Any time a car drives by going the same direction, it's a perfect side-by-side comparison of light output, and you can't miss it - the Mag is putting out just as much light as the car (the cars don't miss it either, as they usually slow down). It's still impressive every time I see it.

The TLE-300 is my fave Mag drop-in based on its ease of install, use of standard batteries, and good old "damn that's bright"-ness. I've always liked the idea of an LED hotwire/ROP that doesn't require any modding, and this certainly fills the bill.

See it here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300.html

wildstar87

Enlightened
If your going to go the MagLED route, then just get a Terralux TLE-6EX, it's brighter, costs about the same, has slightly better heatsinking, and doesn't throttle down like the MagLED.

That said, the TLE-300 was already mentioned, and that's pretty nice as well, brighter than either of the single LED solutions presented.

Having built one recently. It really isn't that hard to build a P7 mod. Just get the heatsink and led, and 2 of the 1400ma AMC7135 boards, and if you want a smooth beam, a KD MOP reflector.

If you are moderately good at soldering, it doesn't take much to do this. True it's not drop in, but it's also quite a bit brighter than the TLE-300. I can attest to this, since I have a friend with one of these. Hot spot is about the same, but the TLE-300 spill is non-existent, where as the P7 has hotspot AND bright spill.

xaitax

Newly Enlightened
I use the TerraLUX TLE-300 drop-in in my Mag.

It's essentially just three LEDs, each with its own optic, all in a self-contained drop-in puck with all the necessary circuitry. It's a minimal difficulty install, you remove the stock Mag reflector and bulb, put the TLE-300 in the socket, done.

Optic lenses mean *serious throw* and the TLE-300 doesn't disappoint, projecting a big fat hotspot with no corona or spill to speak of. You lose the Mag's focusing ability, but when you've got a glaring hotspot that's over two feet across from only ten feet away, you don't need it. The only con is that the hotspot looks a bit like a round, multi-pointed star (the optics to some degree project the square shape of the LEDs) but in normal use, especially outdoors, you don't notice it.

I mainly use my TLE-300 Mag on night walks down our suburb street to the area mailbox. Any time a car drives by going the same direction, it's a perfect side-by-side comparison of light output, and you can't miss it - the Mag is putting out just as much light as the car (the cars don't miss it either, as they usually slow down). It's still impressive every time I see it.

The TLE-300 is my fave Mag drop-in based on its ease of install, use of standard batteries, and good old "damn that's bright"-ness. I've always liked the idea of an LED hotwire/ROP that doesn't require any modding, and this certainly fills the bill.

See it here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300.html

Hey there. Can u pls post me a picture of that TLE-300? I wanna see a pic of ur whole flashlight.

Thank u.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Hey there. Can u pls post me a picture of that TLE-300? I wanna see a pic of ur whole flashlight.

Here ya go, the business end (the UCL lens is installed on this pic, that's how clear it is):

TLE300.jpg

The whole package (Glo-Toob Flash-Cap on the tail):

Cap1.jpg

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having built one recently. It really isn't that hard to build a P7 mod. Just get the heatsink and led, and 2 of the 1400ma AMC7135 boards, and if you want a smooth beam, a KD MOP reflector.

If you are moderately good at soldering, it doesn't take much to do this. True it's not drop in, but it's also quite a bit brighter than the TLE-300. I can attest to this, since I have a friend with one of these. Hot spot is about the same, but the TLE-300 spill is non-existent, where as the P7 has hotspot AND bright spill.[/quote]

+1
And it should be a little cheaper. Are you set up with rechargable batteries already? If you have 4 or 8 AA's and a charger (or d cells) already than this is a great solution.
Have you seen this thread?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358

xaitax

Newly Enlightened
Here ya go, the business end (the UCL lens is installed on this pic, that's how clear it is):

The whole package (Glo-Toob Flash-Cap on the tail):

Thank u so much. Looks pretty awesome. Im thinking about a p7-Mod or the TLE-300 in my 3D. We will see... thank u!

donghui

Newly Enlightened
Check this out
IMG_2753.jpg

Mag 4D, p7, 5.5-15v driver using 3 18650s and 3 "AA-D" plastic battery converters.
Actually the Mag 4D is the most expensive part since you already have that the rest won't cost you so much.
p7 $20, driver $8,heatsink $12,3x18650 $15,Battery converter 2 pairs $2.
In a long run worth it, the batteries charge once last forever the beam really awesome, since I can't bear a gun in the public at least I can hold a light saber at night. May the force be with you my friend.

Gobbie

Newly Enlightened
Check this out
IMG_2753.jpg

Mag 4D, p7, 5.5-15v driver using 3 18650s and 3 "AA-D" plastic battery converters.
Actually the Mag 4D is the most expensive part since you already have that the rest won't cost you so much.
In a long run worth it, the batteries charge once last forever the beam really awesome, since I can't bear a gun in the public at least I can hold a light saber at night. May the force be with you my friend.

Hi,
Sounds good. Do you have any pics of the mods done at the LED end? I've no idea where it all ends up. Are there any special brackets/holders etc that have to be made?
Cheers.

Disco888

Newly Enlightened
Check this out
IMG_2753.jpg

Probabl really daft questions but,.... are the 18650s permanently attached to one another? If so, how do you charge this setup? Wot driver have you used?? Really like the look of this mod as I have a 4D maglite sitting here and 3 18650s which could be utilised......

I look forward to your response......really like the use of the battery converters as spacers by the way

Disco

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
*Shameless revive*

You know, I need a 4D. Cheap host for a "batman spotlight" torch.
M@g623 with 4 "d" li-on's = about 8,000 out the front lumens.
Simple-
mag, Kiu switch, AW socket, 64623 bulb, 4 "D" li-on's, alu reflector, Boro lens

Chris-RXP

Newly Enlightened
Id like to get the TerraLUX TLE-300 for my 2, D cell maglite, had a read of the website and apparently id need to get some different batteries to give me 6V

How would i go about achieving that?