President landing on the Carrier

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
It gave me goose bumps watching the President take a trap in an S-3. When he emerged from the jet he looked like a natural. He must have taken swagger lessons or he remembered his days in the Air National Guard.

I wish we could have heard the radio traffic. It would have sounded something like this;
S-3: "Lincoln, Navy One at six miles for the break"
Lincoln: "Roger Navy One, you are number one for the break."

As they roll into the groove,
LSO: "3/4 of a miles, call the ball"
S-3: "Navy One Ball, 6.0"
(Normally he would say, "Viking Ball" but I bet they made an exception today. "6.0" represents how much fuel you have remaining in thousands of pounds.)

The Airboss may have made a comment as they taxied clear of the gear. It would have been something cool like, "Welcome aboard boss"

The pilot will get ribbed for the next several months about catching the "4-wire", which is also the last wire. You aim for the "3-wire". The pilot may have also been told they wanted a 3 or 4 wire and that a bolter was better than a 1 or 2 wire (you get the 1 or 2 wire if you are low, If you bolter you were long and missed all the wires and have to go around. You can also hook-skip bolter which means your hook bounced over the wire and you have to add power and go around.)

I just saw a interview on Fox News where that asked a young female sailor if the President said anything to her and she said, "yes, he said, hi young lady". He then asked her if she said anything back and she replied, "I said, Hi Mr. P." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? If I were her boss she would be chipping paint for the next three months. She said she got yelled at but that's not enough in my eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

All in all I thought it was great and it made me proud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

As long as I am on the topic of Naval Aviation. This is a picture I took yesterday at work of the Blue Angels. I have been trying to get this shot for over 3 years. It's not the greatest but it's good for me.

AirBlueAngels1.jpg

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I too would've like to have heard the traffic but unless I'm wrong, isn't any aircraft the president flys in called Air Force One? On the other hand, when he flys on the helicopter it's called Marine One so perhaps it's an Air Force/Navy/Marine thing or perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Still, it was rather plucky of him. I think it was a pretty cool thing to do.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely RAD, the man's got a pair!!! About time in my opinion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the insider dramatization Dave, It was even better than being there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too was very impressed with the Presidents demeanor. He looked so natural talking to the sailors on deck while the Secret Service was trying to get him away from the crowd but he just didn't want to go.

Did you see the faces on those servicemen/women? They actually postponed their arrival home to San Diego for this event and I bet that they don't regret doing so.

I believe that I saw another historical moment today.

Marty

p.s. Dave, great shot of the Blue Angels.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you finally got your pic dave!!!

it looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the reason why he couldn't do it, but it would've been legendary if Bush had landed the plane himself on the Lincoln... Quite astounding enough that he debunked going there in the traditional helicopter way...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
FalconFX,
Bush landing on the carrier himself is about like Hillary being President, both would be disastrous. Even experienced active duty Air Force exchange pilots spend a couple of months doing field carrier landing practice before trying the real thing. The margin for error is very slim.

Marty,
Fox News can be as clueless as CNN sometimes. As you know the F-16 is a land based Air Force jet that cannot land on a carrier. The gear would break at the required 600 feet per minute rate of decent required to make it all work. I think they meant F-18 but don't know the difference.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aye aye! That's why I said it'd be "legendary"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... you guys will understand this... wanna bet that inside, President Bush was bursting with... "WOW!!... this stuff is SO COOL!!!... and it's MINE!!... These are MY toys!!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif ... every little boy's dream... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Dave-

Thanks for the insider-look on what I believe is one of the most difficult things asked of a Navy flier to do... landing on the deck of what seems to me to be the size of a postage stamp from the air.

And glad you finally got your picture... it's a worthy avatar...

-Jim

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the insider-look on what I believe is one of the most difficult things asked of a Navy flier to do...

I'd hate to be the pilot in that plane... Gotta figure what's going through his mind when you're trying to land a tightrope and you've got the President of the US sittin' right besides you...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i watched it too. great stuff. i think it was very cool and gutsy for him to land that way. those pilots are amazing--nerves of steel.

the pilot stated that Bush flew the plane most of the way to the carrier.

a carrier landing looks pretty scary.
when he was walking around the deck in his flight suit (he did appear very comfortable), i imagined President Bush asking "umm...do you have some spare underwear? anyone? how about you? Hanes will do...".

i was muttering this, and my fiance' was in tears.

great pic, DD!

Bob

Blikbok

Enlightened
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sasha, and next week, he's gonna ride a shiny new fire engine!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones with a load in their pants were all the presidents advisors and the vice pres who were probably all geared up to handle a disaster!

I would have LOVED to have seen the looks on their faces when he suggested this to them. I wonder if it was his idea, or someone elses. I know it's not exactly death defying, the navy pilots do it safely all the time, but it's not exacly on the list of things that you expect your president to do.

I agree, he looked great doing it. What fantastic PR! Now, if he'd just revoke the son-of-the-patriot-act, and the DMCA I could say he was a great president /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
Sasha, and next week, he's gonna ride a shiny new fire engine!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people find it motivating having this President take a trap or riding on a shiny new fire engine especially over the disgusting thought of his predecessor riding...uh, um, you know.

Boys and their toys or cigars, they never grow up.

Brock

Flashaholic
How much razzing do you think that pilot is going to get for catching the 4th wire? He might get a new call sign out of it. In any case he did a great job, probably the most important carrier landing in several decades.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, yeah. one of the reporters stated the carrier had an amazing safety record: more than 16,000 sorties flown without any lost planes or major problems/injuries.

truly amazing work that those people do.

i recall reading somewhere that carrier personnel work 12 hours/day, 7 days/week. is that true?

Bob