Is the Wolf-Eyes P7 Sniper still the best single cell flashlight and a few other q's

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Greeting Folks:

Like the subject says, is the Wolf-Eyes P7 Sniper still the best single cell regulated flashlight? I am in the market for a bright floody light (would have preferred a single/dual C-cell option, but alas nothing reasonable can be found outside of modded M@g's :scowl:). My personal preference would be one with a very large hot spot and little dim spill but I definitely don't want a pencil beam (have a DBS to take care of that :grin2:). Also, I would want something that can be reasonably semi-EDC'd which means something like the Ultrafire WF-1000L is off the list.

So, is there anything better than the Wolf-Eyes or something coming soon that would fill my needs? I can only get one big light (have to save up for the Legion II ;)) and want to make the best choice possible.

Also, If some of you could answer some questions regarding the WE P7-Sniper to help me with my decision, that would be much appreciated:

• What is the difference between the WE P7-Sniper and the WE Eagle-II? Both look similarly sided but differently machined bodies.
  • Can the sniper be retrofited easily with a P7 E-bin emitter once those become readily available?
  • How does the Sniper compare to a DX P7 light, in particular to the MTE SSC P7 8-Mode (#13060)?
  • I know the specs say that the max voltage of the Sniper is 6V but is there any chance that I could run it using 2x18650 (range of 6.6-8.4v) :naughty: with an extension tube? I don't want a permanent 2 cell light, but having a convertible would be a great advantage for say an extended outdoor trip.
TIA. Cheers!

Last edited:

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Re: Wolf-Eyes P7 Sniper still the best single cell flashlight?

Hallo evenchaos!

What is the difference between the WE P7-Sniper and the WE Eagle-II? Both look similarly sided but differently machined bodies.
Difference ONLY in design. I have this info right from Wolf-Eyes.

Can the sniper be retrofited easily with a P7 E-bin emitter once those become readily available?
If Wolf-Eyes will make additional drop-ins, in that case yes.

How does the Sniper compare to a DX P7 light, in particular to the MTE SSC P7 8-Mode (#13060)?
Do not try to compare Wolf-Eyes with anything from DX. It is another world. Believe me. There is completely another price range as well. Wolf-eyes worth the money for sure.
I know the specs say that the max voltage of the Sniper is 6V but is there any chance that I could run it using 2x18650 (range of 6.6-8.4v) :naughty: with an extension tube? I don't want a permanent 2 cell light, but having a convertible would be a great advantage for say an extended outdoor trip.
So far I do not know about some ext. tube for Sniper or Eagle P7's.

I can say, with Sniper P7 you can not make a mistake. I have one Sniper and Rattlesnake M90 P7, and I can say - wow. I plan to make comparsion review of them, but I am so busy now, that I am expecting to do it till end of NOVEMBER. But as I said - Sniper rocks, you will be amazed in all cases. Take care!

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I have a Sniper with a P4 Cree that I'd like to pop up to Q5 or R2 but the price for a proprietary D26 light module like my P4 is nearly $70!!!

I LIKE the heck out of the light otherwise!!!!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe you would consider the new Eagletac lights. I have the T10c2, and it's small and very powerful for a Q5 cree. The Spill is the brightest of any light I have. They have a single 18650 version ...not sure if it's available yet.

https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=612

CPF8 code and free shipping.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, is there anything better than the Wolf-Eyes or something coming soon that would fill my needs?

I have some info that at least two well known Chinese flashlight manufacturers are currently working on MC-E lights :) But unfortunately I don't have any details.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the input so far!

I have a Sniper with a P4 Cree that I'd like to pop up to Q5 or R2 but the price for a proprietary D26 light module like my P4 is nearly $70!!!

Ouch - thats a lot for just the module. So there is no easy way to desolder the emitter and put in a higher powered one?

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

Maybe you would consider the new Eagletac lights. I have the T10c2, and it's small and very powerful for a Q5 cree. The Spill is the brightest of any light I have. They have a single 18650 version ...not sure if it's available yet.

https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=612

CPF8 code and free shipping.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am looking for something with more output than the Q5 or even the R2 (already have two Q5 based lights though this one would be higher quality than my WF-606A)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say for general purposes the P7 sniper still destroys most other lights. Even my 6P w/ Malkoff falls to the Wolf Eyes P7. Tested it with some other similarly sized lights like a DBS and an EagleTac T10L a month ago.
For the size I'd say it's still king of the hill for retail lights.

Only 3 drawbacks that I've found really.
1) More expensive than most other lights of the size (but worth it imho)
2) Not a tactical light with the multi-mode pill. (but great for most other purposes and there is a tactical version available)
3) PWM frequency is a bit low. Slightly noticeable for medium and low levels to me. Not annoying but out of the corner of the eye on a bike I definitely see it.
So #1 and #2 aren't really true issues but things to consider. #3 is the only "flaw" that I've found after 3+ months of use.

I've given mine some good use and a bit of abuse over the past couple months and it's still going strong. (been droped a couple times :ohgeez:Used on a bike in the poring rainstorms we had in the Northwest last week etc.) Ran it at full power for several continuous full cycles and though it definitely gets warm it isn't scalding hot; no perceived thermal problems with the LED yet.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can say, with Sniper P7 you can not make a mistake. I have one Sniper and Rattlesnake M90 P7, and I can say - wow. I plan to make comparsion review of them, but I am so busy now, that I am expecting to do it till end of NOVEMBER. But as I said - Sniper rocks, you will be amazed in all cases. Take care!

Would love to see a comparison between the Sniper and M90 P7s; I have been considering both of them. I like the idea that the M90 can run on 3 * 18650s with an extender.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened

Hi Guys,
What about the Wolf Eyes MC Sniper?
The output is about the same as the P7, 580 lumens (measured at the emitter) and the MC-E is a little more efficient with the runtime increasing to 70 minutes regulated and 2 hours unregulated. The beam characteristics have improved with a better balance of flood and throw with a little less flood and more throw than the P7. To be clear, it's not a thrower.

I started a thread in the Market Place - Dealer's Corner

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

Hi Guys,
What about the Wolf Eyes MC Sniper?
The output is about the same as the P7, 580 lumens (measured at the emitter) and the MC-E is a little more efficient with the runtime increasing to 70 minutes regulated and 2 hours unregulated. The beam characteristics have improved with a better balance of flood and throw with a little less flood and more throw than the P7. To be clear, it's not a thrower.

I started a thread in the Market Place - Dealer's Corner

Interesting development. The increased efficiency is very tempting. However, would you know if the size of the hotspot has changed? In my case, I am after the largest hot spot and not as concerned with the "dim" but usable spill. Also, will this be available with the tactical module (100% > strobe > ...).

Mike@PTS

Enlightened

Interesting development. The increased efficiency is very tempting. However, would you know if the size of the hotspot has changed? In my case, I am after the largest hot spot and not as concerned with the "dim" but usable spill. Also, will this be available with the tactical module (100% > strobe > ...).

The hot spot on the MC Sniper should be a little smaller so if you're looking for flood then the P7 would be a better choice between the two.

Here's a review
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200801

In the review, the P7 Sniper has a very large hot spot at 50 yards.

Yes the Tactical will be available!

lightfire

Newly Enlightened

The hot spot on the MC Sniper should be a little smaller so if you're looking for flood then the P7 would be a better choice between the two.

Here's a review
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200801

In the review, the P7 Sniper has a very large hot spot at 50 yards.

Yes the Tactical will be available!

Not to hijak this thread but...

Hey Mike,

I sent an e-mail that must have gotten lost. Are the D26 modules from WE going to be available with these newer led's like the R2 and P7? Any chance they are going to price them competitively? I broke a WE explorer with a 2 ft drop and need a new module but one can almost buy a whole flashlight for the current price of the modules. Ughh, I just ordered two new lights from you. But still have a broken explorer that I would love to have P7 in.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened

Not to hijak this thread but...

Hey Mike,

I sent an e-mail that must have gotten lost. Are the D26 modules from WE going to be available with these newer led's like the R2 and P7? Any chance they are going to price them competitively? I broke a WE explorer with a 2 ft drop and need a new module but one can almost buy a whole flashlight for the current price of the modules. Ughh, I just ordered two new lights from you. But still have a broken explorer that I would love to have P7 in.

You could have sent me a PM :D
At this time PTS still has a few D26 R2 left in single modes. I'm not sure when WE will get their own R2, they still seem to be hard to get. The P7 and MC-E requires to big a reflector, so they're not going to available in the D26 size. You can get the P7 or MC-E Head for the Sniper, Explorer and Eagle WE models but they are quite expensive.
If you purchased the Explorer from PTS, PM me your order number and we'll get your explorer fixed.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

What would be the next best runner up to the WE Sniper (again to reiterate 500+ lumens, large hotspot, {almost} EDC size). Is this the only one in its class?

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Mike, when do you expect the MC-E version ??

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Somebody make me a killer deal on a Q5 module then! Of course I'm talking D26 size module....

If I can decide on a P7 light I have the go-ahead to order! Of course I pretty much have to stay under $100....

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greeting Folks:

Like the subject says, is the Wolf-Eyes P7 Sniper still the best single cell regulated flashlight? I am in the market for a bright floody light (would have preferred a single/dual C-cell option, but alas nothing reasonable can be found outside of modded M@g's :scowl:). My personal preference would be one with a very large hot spot and little dim spill but I definitely don't want a pencil beam (have a DBS to take care of that :grin2:). Also, I would want something that can be reasonably semi-EDC'd which means something like the Ultrafire WF-1000L is off the list.

So, is there anything better than the Wolf-Eyes or something coming soon that would fill my needs? I can only get one big light (have to save up for the Legion II ;)) and want to make the best choice possible.

Also, If some of you could answer some questions regarding the WE P7-Sniper to help me with my decision, that would be much appreciated:

• What is the difference between the WE P7-Sniper and the WE Eagle-II? Both look similarly sided but differently machined bodies.
  • Can the sniper be retrofited easily with a P7 E-bin emitter once those become readily available?
  • How does the Sniper compare to a DX P7 light, in particular to the MTE SSC P7 8-Mode (#13060)?
  • I know the specs say that the max voltage of the Sniper is 6V but is there any chance that I could run it using 2x18650 (range of 6.6-8.4v) :naughty: with an extension tube? I don't want a permanent 2 cell light, but having a convertible would be a great advantage for say an extended outdoor trip.
TIA. Cheers!
You might want to check this out too:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-160-6620

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone have a picture of the WE P7 compared to the Dereelight DBS (old revision). I am interested to see how it compares size wise given that I have the DBS.